Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

The "Skuttlebutt", 08 Oct - 14 Oct 2006

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 04:56 AM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The "Skuttlebutt", 08 Oct - 14 Oct 2006

HAWGS - 24
Auburn -10
Whoooo Pig Sooooeeeeeee, Razorbacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Morning y'all. Can't believe I have a weekend off.
Got the Terex out here clearing a spot for the shop. Looking at a 30 x 50. Any advice?

lookingforsomecoffeeShortround out
Old 10-08-2006, 05:07 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep,Leave room too add on.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:13 AM

What kinda shop you puttin in Bruce ?? Gonna have a grease rack AND a bar all in the same building ?? Don't want to have to walk too far to the cooler ya know !!

Man .... what a bee-you-tee-ful day outside !!! 180 degrees different than yesterday !! Went on a short bike ride through the hills ... spyed out some lonesome apple trees that need some "grooming" .

Probably point the bike in the other direction after lunch ... can't pass up a day like today.

Enjoy your weekend ... and have fun with the terex SR !!! I could think of all kinds of fun things to do with it at my place.

PISTOL
Old 10-08-2006, 08:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
How bout them HOGS! Best upset of the day! Beat #2 ranked Auburn in their own backyard! Beat em like a red headed step child.

Hat's off to da HOGS!

NU won, the order is being restored.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
WHERE'S THE COFFEE? I know I'm late, but sheeessshhhhh, no coffee. grrrrrrr

Busy day today still trying to get settled back in. Committee meetings at church, choir practise for the Christmas pageant (all ready) - - man I'm ready to hook up the fiver and take off again - - too much pressure around here. Maybe I will get a chance to hit the pool tomorrow and make sure I can still swim.

See ya, AND SAVE SOME COFFEE - - YA'ERE????

Bob
Old 10-09-2006, 05:02 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FiverBob
WHERE'S THE COFFEE?
OK, ok! 's made. 2 pots of it, so there should be plenty to go around.

Fresh, (sorta), donuts on the counter.

I gotta run, everyone have a good'un!

chaikwa.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
OK, ok! 's made. 2 pots of it, so there should be plenty to go around.

Fresh, (sorta), donuts on the counter.

I gotta run, everyone have a good'un!

chaikwa.
I need one pot for myself!
Old 10-09-2006, 05:22 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shortround

Morning y'all. Can't believe I have a weekend off.
Got the Terex out here clearing a spot for the shop. Looking at a 30 x 50. Any advice?
Yup, decide how big you want it then forget that and add at least 25% more.

If I were putting one up I would make sure I had at least a 12' eve (preferably 14), this way I can have 10' doors. Don't get anything less than a 3/12 roof, not only do they look cheesy, I don't like the ~5 lbs. per sq foot the trusses hold on the lower pitches.
Galvalume roof (this is probably standard now)
Drain in the floor for wintertime car washing.
Frostless spigot somewhere INSIDE the building.

I could go on and on here............
Old 10-09-2006, 05:59 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Monday AM, and sitting at work.
Mandatory Company meeting @ 0830hrs an hour from the normal report location.
They better have plenty of coffee.........

Not too much gonna get done today as most of the 'workers' here have been given the day off.

70ish partly cloudy day in the forecast.
Have a safe day,
Old 10-09-2006, 06:26 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

ITs quite.......Too quite...... Fed holliday so not much moving around the post..only ones here are us lowly state workers.

Had a busy weekend, glad to come to work and get some rest.
is good and strong, need the "extra" caffine stuff this morning.

SR, what everyone else says, make it bigger than you think you need, and while they're doing the dirt work for the pad, be sure to double check the drainage and such. ( Ru a sprinkler on teh pad for several hours before they start putting up the frames or doing the concrete). making sure you have no drainage problems NOW can save some major headaches later.

Frostless spigot somewhere INSIDE the building.
DITTO...
Old 10-09-2006, 07:17 AM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Got the area cleared. Measures ~ 100 x 100. Plenty of room for "add ons".
14' end door to take advantage of the inside length and two side doors for drive thru. One end will have the mill room and grain storage. Actual clear shop area will be 30 x 40.
Lay of the land looks good. In the center is a large "knoll" ~ 6' higher than the rest of the area. Lots of shale about 2 1/2' down in that spot. Good base.
Talked with the neighbor that has the sawmill. $400 per thousand for cypress 1 x 10's. Board and batten outside. Roof will be steel rated at 20# sq ft minimum(not much snow, but ice). Frame will be 8" x 10# I beam.
Mainly I want to get the frame and roof up before winter.
Drainage doesn't appear to be an issue since the entrance areas are being ditched also. The slab should be ~ 2 1/2' above the main lay of the land.
The slab will be a monolithic pour(all at once).
Water and power just happens to be right there(irrigation well for the garden.
14' side walls with probably a 6/12 pitch roof(additional storage), no less than a 4/12 for sure.
Got a 240,000 btu wood furnace.
Wholesale prices on cut to length steel, but will have to weld mounting plates and other stuff on. No sweat. Basically an enclosed hay barn.
Appreciate the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.
Gotta go replace a hydraulic line on the excavator. It just had to be the one on the blade. Gonna be a 6 pack PITA.

wonderwhyI'msosoreShortround out
Old 10-09-2006, 07:25 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Last suggestion from me Sr is one you probably already know, but... dont use the metal nails.. spend a few bucks and get the galvanized tin screws..
they make a big difference in how well the metal stays on in a good wind( which I know Ark. never gets)... it also makes it alot easier to take the tin down for any 'remodels' that you may want to do later on down teh road.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:14 AM
JKE

mornin' ya'll.

No birds saturday. Actually, I shot one, but couldn't find it.
Nice weather conditions this am. Only 0900 and I'm ready for the abandon ship drill. Looks like there's gonna be a BOHICA meeting tomorrow. Gives me something to look forward too...

Time fer a little more . Don't need to add the WST since it was made with the "brush". - JKE
Old 10-09-2006, 08:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by shortround
Got the area cleared. Measures ~ 100 x 100. Plenty of room for "add ons".
14' end door to take advantage of the inside length and two side doors for drive thru. One end will have the mill room and grain storage. Actual clear shop area will be 30 x 40.
Lay of the land looks good. In the center is a large "knoll" ~ 6' higher than the rest of the area. Lots of shale about 2 1/2' down in that spot. Good base.
Talked with the neighbor that has the sawmill. $400 per thousand for cypress 1 x 10's. Board and batten outside. Roof will be steel rated at 20# sq ft minimum(not much snow, but ice). Frame will be 8" x 10# I beam.
Mainly I want to get the frame and roof up before winter.
Drainage doesn't appear to be an issue since the entrance areas are being ditched also. The slab should be ~ 2 1/2' above the main lay of the land.
The slab will be a monolithic pour(all at once).
Water and power just happens to be right there(irrigation well for the garden.
14' side walls with probably a 6/12 pitch roof(additional storage), no less than a 4/12 for sure.
Got a 240,000 btu wood furnace.
Wholesale prices on cut to length steel, but will have to weld mounting plates and other stuff on. No sweat. Basically an enclosed hay barn.
Appreciate the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.
Gotta go replace a hydraulic line on the excavator. It just had to be the one on the blade. Gonna be a 6 pack PITA.

wonderwhyI'msosoreShortround out
Look up http://www.olympiabuildings.com/ I bought mine from them. 75' x 45' x 20'. It is a complete BOLT together kit and me and some buddies put it up in 9 days with a pettibone forklift. I put a R13 insulation around it and during those 110 F days this summer, it was 90 inside with no fans or doors open. They were great to work with. Contact Jill@FactoryUSA.com and ask her for a quote. She was great. They are out of Pennsylvania (or how ever you spell it). Here are a few pics. We built a 2600 sqft house in the end of it and I have a 45 x 45 shop left. The building was 27K complete but remember, I made it 20 ft at the eves to build a full 2 story house inside it. It will be a lot cheaper at standard heights.

Good Monday morning to you....I HATE Mondays!!!!

Old 10-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Banned

I forgot to post my opinion of wood framing, wood rots, wood warps, wood lets the nails come out, etc. Get a galvanized steel building. It will out last your life time. That is why I bough mine from Olympia. All galvanized, 30 years warranty on panels and paint, and will survive the wind in OK.

Quick Reply: The "Skuttlebutt", 08 Oct - 14 Oct 2006