Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Skid Steer Aux Hydraulic

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you calculated the electrical load that would put on your machine Pappy? I'd think you'd be o.k

A system rated for continous duty would be a definite benefit.

Yes, exactly to plumb into your current setup you would need to add a valve.

have you called your New Holland Dealer??? They should give you an idea on your currnet setups other capabilities.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you could come across a log splitter with a blown engine for cheap, you could salvage everything you need. Well, except a motor.

Jason
Old 03-09-2005, 06:50 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

3 gpm at 1500 psi, is about 3 hp... roughly works out to 1 hp for every gpm at 1500 psi. but I wouldn't go around pushing a 3 hp motor to the max all the time.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:01 PM

Is that 3.hp plus parasitic losses etc???

That'd be a big draw on your electric all the time.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:53 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

If the system is designed right, your parasitic losses are rolled into that number. technically, HP = (PSI * GPM / 1714 ) * .85
the .85 at the end is a pump efficency factor that is typical. your pump might be a bit higher or lower.
Another formula to keep in mind is your current load for a motor. for direct current motors that is I= (HP*746)/(V*%Eff).
Old 03-11-2005, 06:13 AM
Chapter President

Got the grapple mounted and found a self contained hydraulic unit from a Maxon liftgate (got it cheap) just hooked up everything temporary to try it...."works great"

Since the grapple will not be used allot I'm makin it setup for fast removal the hydraulic unit will need to be mounted to the top of the engine cover because of limited room in the engine compartment.....I'll wait to see how much battery draw this unit has if its not too much I'll remove one of my batterys and mount the unit where the battery was

Need to find a better toggle switch to control the grapple maybe I'll try a rocker switch instead
Old 03-11-2005, 12:46 PM

Glad you got it rigged up.

I assume your machine is like most New Hollands and is operated with two sticks for the drive train (forward and back, one stick for left, one for right) and two pedals to control your bucket??

I'd see if you can take one stick off, prefferably the right one if you're right handed and mount the switch in the top of the handle, just get a 3 position mommentary swith (hot, neutral, hot) run your wireds through the stick, you will probably need to drill a hole near the bottom, put a grommet in the whole and a loom on your wires and then run it to your electric/hydraulic setup.

Persoannly I'd also mount two pioneer style quick release hydraulic couplers on the loader arm near the bucket and the run flex hoses from the grapple to the couplers. That way you can quickly and easily remove the bucket and grapple if you want to change attachments.

Personally I think you are going to want to leave both batteries in there, not sure what size alternator would be on a machine like that but I doubt it's real big and I think the setup is going to have a fair draw, once you get into a job where you are dealing with a lot of brush and branches and junk you'd be surprised how much you are running that grapple open and shut.

Anyway good luck! A grapple is a great accesory for skid steers, personally we are hoping to get one that works the opposite way (as in a bale hugger style for moving plastic wrapped silage bales without puncturing the plastic).

We'd love to see some pics of your setup.