Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Silicone Wiper Blades

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Silicone Wiper Blades

Has anyone tried those silicone wiper blades like the ones found here ? With the climate here, the heat really gets to wiper blades and they just won't last before they are streaking and chattering. Silicone seems like it would be a really good material to make a wiper blade out of. The idea alone has me sold, but I was wondering if anyone else has tried them.

On edit, before someone laughs at me for the link above...I would be sticking with black!!!
Old 05-11-2005, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a set of the PIAA Super Sporza blades which have the "Super Silicone Wiper" and spoilers - to hold the blades down under "high speeds". Yes, I thought I needed high speed wipers. The spoilers do work very well - I haven't had them lift yet. The silicone blades sold by PIAA are designed to leave a coating on the windshield which basically acts like rain-x (I don't know if all silicone blades do that). Handy since you don't ever have to re-apply it like rain-x... They do seem to be affected by road films (the stuff they spray on the roads around here to help the idiot drivers when it is icy) more than the regular wipers blades though... All in all, they were worth the $ in my opinion.

Augusta
Old 05-12-2005, 02:50 AM

Just one question though.. How much do they jiggle?
Old 05-12-2005, 05:17 AM

Originally posted by TomW
I had logged off and left the room before it hit me what you meant Of course it's 5am and I'm not hittin on all cylinders yet...
Old 05-12-2005, 07:17 AM
Banned

I bought a pair of the Bosch ones and they're crappy. Definatey not worth the $15@. Save yourself the money and get a set of Ancos or something.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by TomW
I'm told they're just like real ones...
Old 05-12-2005, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by joel
I bought a pair of the Bosch ones and they're crappy. Definatey not worth the $15@. Save yourself the money and get a set of Ancos or something.
Thanks. I use Ancos and have used Bosch before, but in the middle of summer, they just don't last with the heat. They are fairly cheap, though, so it's not that big of a deal. Just thought for sure the silicones would be better.

Oh well...
Old 05-12-2005, 08:38 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a "Rain X" set for the wifes Stratus, wouldn't recommend those to my worst enemy. She got about 5K miles of NON winter use out of them
I have a set on the truck now that claim they are made with silicone, the blade portion is clear. (translucent). They are working well so far.