Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Shoulder surgery

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shoulder surgery

Anyone had a broken Clavicle (Collar Bone) repaired? How much pain as compared to the break it-self? I came off my XR400(dirt bike) at about 35 mph. If it hadn't been for my chest protector I probably would have destroyed my entire shoulder as it was the point of impact. I didn't touch my helmet and got very little rash.

I'm going in Monday and they are going to try and install plate. Because of where mine broke they have to use a plate with a jog and put on end under another bone and screws in the clavicle. They also think I tore two Ligements. Not the ACL. The two in the front. Corco-clavicle and and another.

Randy
Old 06-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Banned

Oh the worst part is the IV than it is lala land for a few hours of course until physical therapy time rolls around, a little advice though don't go to physical therapy on pain meds take them after.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had neck surgery two years ago next month. Had I known I would have felt better that quick, I would have done it long before that. Had to grind off bone between verts 5 and 6 and then put a plate in with four dry wall screws to hold the two apart. Pain was gone as soon as I woke up, numbness was gone in about 8 weeks, no after effects, and no pain medication at all after the surgery.
Now if I could just remember my name and how to play the piano!?!?!?!?!?
Old 06-15-2007, 11:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dieseldude4x4
Had neck surgery two years ago next month. Had I known I would have felt better that quick, I would have done it long before that. Had to grind off bone between verts 5 and 6 and then put a plate in with four dry wall screws to hold the two apart. Pain was gone as soon as I woke up, numbness was gone in about 8 weeks, no after effects, and no pain medication at all after the surgery.
Now if I could just remember my name and how to play the piano!?!?!?!?!?
yep I have had both my knees re done and followup surguries and i broke my back a couple years ago
Old 06-15-2007, 12:26 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
It's going to suck, anything in the shoulder/neck area sucks...I had my rotator cuff repaired when I was 1 month shy of 21yrs old. I couldn't move from laying on my back to sitting up with out help, too much pain, you don't realize how much you use those muscles to throw your weight forward to sit up. I couldn't get out of the hospital bed to relieve myself for about 36hrs, my soon to be wife had to help me relieve myself in a bottle...Most degrading thing I've ever experienced.

Hopefully yours won't be that bad.

The pain itself was tolerable as long as I kept reasonably still, I had my own Morphine drip that I could hit a button for an IV dispensed dosage, the Doctor told me he was surprised I only hit the button twice in 48hrs. I told him as long as I didn't move too much I could take the pain, plus I didn't care for the side effects of the Morphine.

The worst part was tearing the internal scar tissue about a month later. I was in Vegas for my 21st birthday and as I was undressing for *no, not that sicko's* a morning shower I went to take my shirt off and it got stuck on my elbow so I grabbed it and yanked it off...I spent the next 5 minutes naked, crying like a little girl on the bathroom floor in a fetal position. I had never experienced pain like that before in my life and I've broken every bone imaginable, I've had my appendix removed, I've had nasal re-constructive surgery while awake, heck I even hanged myself from a chain link fence by my dislocated and broken middle finger.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:09 PM

The worst part of the imidiate injury was after the pain pills wore off the first night. We had been camping and my wife was too tired to drive the 150 miles home. So we slept on the air matress again. I couldn't lay there and hurt any longer and sitting up was immensly painful. And continued to be some of the worst pain of the deal.

I wore button up shirts for the first week and a half. It caused some major headaches because of the trap being tight all the way up to my skull. I've been sleeping in the Recliner because it supports my arm in a better position then a pillow.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...hp?photo=29957

Once it is approved here is the x-ray. It is supposed to be connected at the end that is sticking up.

Randy
Old 06-15-2007, 03:36 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

I broke my collar bone in 1966. It still bothers me to this day.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Chapter President

My dad was in a wreck that dislocated his clavicle at the point that it connects to the body and the doctors said that they won't attempt to fix it for how close it is too lungs and heart, so he's got to get used to not using that arm for too much. He also had a SLAP tear from the same wreck and they did repair it, he is done with rehab but the pain from the clavicle still limits him.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:07 PM

my boss had shoulder surgery,and he said the most trouble he had was learning,to do the paper work after useing the bathroom,left handed
Old 06-16-2007, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by rustbucket
my boss had shoulder surgery,and he said the most trouble he had was learning,to do the paper work after useing the bathroom,left handed
I had to overcome that obsticle in the ER before they gave me pain pills. It sucks.

Oh well. I did it having fun and want too get it done so I can get back on. Bike only got a clutch lever and rear fender damage.

Randy
Old 06-28-2007, 12:11 PM

Well it did hurt more then the initial break. But took less then a week to stop taking pain killers. They had to use an experimental repair and I'm in a sling for another6 weeks. I might be completely ambidex by the time this is done. I can't shift so I'm barrowing a my dads Grand Marque. Certianly not like driving my trucks.

Randy
Old 06-28-2007, 01:11 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Oh man, that reminds me, I was driving a 68 Ford F250 with no power steering at the time...That made for some fun trips to Physical Therapy and their tiny parking lot.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rustbucket
EEEEwwwwWWWWwwwww......