Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Separation Anxiety!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 06:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Separation Anxiety!!!

Well, yesterday I sold my old 85 GMC 3500 4x4. I had owned it since 1986 and that truck and I have survived many job sites,skidder trails, hauling, towing, plowing, 2 repaints, many ball joints, 2 motors,and some other stuff that if you add it all up it would have been cheaper to buy a new one. Now I am having a little trouble with this, my wife says it's separation anxiety. I call it losing an old friend. I made sure it went to a good home, will be well taken care of, and not treated in any harsh manner. The man who bought it owns the little general store, he had been pestering me to sell it to him for as long as I can remember. He will be using it to plow the parking lot, pull his bass boat, and for other duties around the store and his home. He has assured me that he will take care of it and said if I would ever like to drive it again, just say the word. Have any of you ever had to say goodbye to your old truck? Am I over-reacting, should I seek therapy? My wife has been very comforting and understanding through this, after all, the truck was here before her. I can only think what kind of state I will be in if I ever have to sell my 97 CTD. Thank you gentlemen for letting me get that off my chest, anyone ever felt this way?
Old 01-03-2003, 06:18 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Re:Separation Anxiety!!!

Knowwhatcha mean.<br>Hey, at least you've still got visitation rights. ;D
Old 01-03-2003, 06:31 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Richard, the bond we often build with our trucks may seem silly to some people. But when you think of all the wonderful times you enjoy where your truck has taken you and your family to the lake, camping, ballgames well you get the idea, it is hard not feel alittle sad when you seperate ways.<br><br> Kind of like losing an old friend I guess.<br><br> Hang in there buddy!
Old 01-03-2003, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Know zakly where your comin from. Had that old 89 for just a few days short of ten years. Did stuff with it that little truck it never should have done. Was hard to drive away and leave it on the lot. It got a good home and the guy is still driving it, even dressed her up a little with aluminum wheels and big tires and such. The dump bed insert is still on it and it was for sale again about six weeks ago. Had he not wanted so much for it, I would have bought her back and gave her to my son. That was an awsome truck for sure. This too will eventually pass.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. So, to give myself a little daily therapy I posted a picture of my old truck as the wallpaper on my computer desktop. Now I see her everytime I get on the computer. <br><br>PISTOL
Old 01-03-2003, 07:55 AM

Waaaaayyyyy back in '78, I was stationed in Madrid, Spain. I bought my supervisor's car for $375 - a '65 Impala Super Sport. Brought the old girl back (the AF paid the shipping). She was a daily driver and for the next 10 years, I went from bumper-to-bumper slowly restoring her. When I finished, that SS looked like it had just rolled off the showroom floor. Then 15 years ago, I received orders to Naples, Italy. There was no way on God's green earth that SS was going back overseas and get destroyed by their drivers or vandals. I put her up for sale. Please don't take this wrongly, but with all of the love and attention I put into her, I determined she was not going to be turned into a low-rider. My price was reasonable for someone who would keep her and love her as I did - but my price was 10-times more for anyone who even looked like they would want to alter her into a low-rider. Didn't make much considering everything I did during the 10-year restoration because she went to a guy who had admired her for several years. Like many others here, I understand you missing your truck. Though they are only lots of pieces of metal, rubber, and plastic, after so many years they become part of the family.<br>
Old 01-03-2003, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I call it losing an old friend.
<br><br>Thats the truth!<br><br>I purchased a 1982 GMC 3/4 ton 2x4 with a 6.2Litre diesel back in 1992. The truck had 155,000 when I bought it.<br>The guy I bought it from claimed the engine was no good. It smoked so bad, you couldnt see traffic in the mirrors!<br>However, I drove it from Azusa California, over the Cajon Pass to Apple Valley Califorinia and the truck ran great! Next day, I cheked the oil, that trip didnt drink a drop of oil. <br>Later found out it was just an injection pump which had an air leak.<br>11 years later, two transmissions, a paint job, several front suspension components and 250,000 miles later, I decided it was time to trade her in.<br>She was tough to let go. That 'ol truck was with me through college, numberous trips around the South West, it moved me to Reno Nevada, was with me through marriage, two kids, and never let me down.<br>The reason for letting her go? The truck was falling apart. The drive line was in great shape. The truck itself was falling apart.<br><br>I think the longer we have our trucks, the more work we put into them, especially if we do our own work, the more that truck becomes part of us. Its probably true with any vehicle, truck, car, even boats etc.<br><br>Yes, I know that the dealer probably took my old truck to an auction house and sold it to the highest bidder. Who knows where that truck is now.<br>I had traded it in on my '95 Dodge CTD and Im hoping to see another 400,000 mile out of this truck.<br><br>Rich.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:58 PM

Yes, know exactly what you're saying. Had a '74 Chev Blazer K5. Owned that puppy for over 17 years. Still miss that truck. :'( :'( :'( Was my first 4 X 4. Women and some men will never understand this attachment but then I don't really care what they think. We know. I'm developing the same sort of attachment to my current truck. Will probably keep this one for many years to come. Hey, that's life. At least it's not something stupid like shoes or a dress.<br><br>~Dave
Old 01-03-2003, 08:02 PM

I found the best way to cure the anxiety is to go buy a brand new truck- that's what I do ;D
Old 01-03-2003, 08:13 PM
DPG

Richard:<br><br>You are not overreacting. I owned a 94 Ford 7.3 TD crew cab that I only owned for about 4 years, and put about100,000 mile on it. When I sold that truck, I swear that I went into mourning for about 2 weeks. I never really fully recovered until I bought my CTD. <br><br>DeWain
Old 01-03-2003, 08:17 PM

I gotta 1975 Ford F-100 sitting in the drive way I bought new when I had hair. Took my wife to her senior prom in her, got married in her, brought my first son home from the hospital in her. And that son learned to drive in her and blew the first motor up in her &gt;. For his senior project in high school we put a new engine in her. She is in kinda rough shape now but darn if I can part with her ;D