Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Self defense / Krav Maga?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 06:39 PM
RAF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Self defense / Krav Maga?

Was wondering if anyone has personal experience with Krav Maga? I have been looking into some no nonsense self defense. Here in New Jersey carrying is out of the question. It seems this is the way to go in a extreme situation. (No Quarter) Any thoughts?

Thanks
Rich
Old 11-25-2008, 06:48 PM

No experience with Krav Maga, my disciplines are in jujitsu and boxing. My advice is to research it and try it out. All disciplines whether they be boxing, mma, whatever, require commitment to the training and to yourself. Most any type of self defense will help, it just depends on what you are wanting out of the training.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:02 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Krav Maga, is no nonsense and deigned specifically to kill or mortally injure.

They do offer less than lethal instruction, I have, and, occasionally now practice it. We use it as a tactic on the ERT team.

It is not designed for long term engagement, it is meant to use explosive violent force to immediately overwhelm your enemy.

All I can say is try it, then judge it for yourself.

Tim
Old 11-27-2008, 08:56 AM
RAF

That is what I am looking for. Something to get out of a situation that would other wise leave me on the ground bleeding and dying. I would rather have a chance of just walking away but some times it is not a option. I was once in a situation with two guys (every thing pointed to dealers). I was in the area for some testing. Just when things were about to get bad a few people walked around the corner and the guys just walked away. I don't want to be in that situation again with no other choice other than hoping someone will walk around the corner. As far as mortally injuring someone, That is not an issue when it comes to me or them walking away alive.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:07 AM

The only issue is if you kill someone in self defense, self defense stops once the threat has been eliminated. If a perp dies as a result of injuries sustained from a physical beating there is a substantial chance that you will be doing jail time and not him. I do agree with your motives, the difference is that if you put one round in his chest and he dies it can still construed as self defense. If he dies from one to many blows or a known death strike, you are on the hook. You just have to know when to stop.

It is brutally effective, I would recomend auditing a couple classes.

Good luck,

Tim
Old 11-27-2008, 09:29 AM
RAF

Thanks for the info. So far the only place I have found in NJ that has Israeli trained instructors is an hour ride. Do you know of a good Federation or Association that teaches Krava Maga?
Old 11-27-2008, 09:34 AM

No I don't, but I will ask for you. Our instructor is Israeli trained, and from what we were told Israeli"s are the only sanctioned instructors. Anyone else is a fraud.

It's worth the drive, you can go every other week.

Tim