Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Security Clearance Gurus HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My company let our sales rep go recently. He's a retired Marine and used to have his clearance. He retired 19 years ago and had no need for it so it lapsed. Well, now he's trying to get back into a govt job and he's having the same problem you are. Everyone wants' you to have the clearance and a Bachelor's degree. They are telling him it could take a year to get cleared and that's once he gets a job... He's ready to just look in the private sector...

Good luck Ryan. The company I work for is having lots of problems after buying some distressed companies and thinking they could turn them around. Well, it didn't happen and although the location I run is doing quite well, I think I will be jobless in a year or two, tops. I am saving everything I can right now so I won't be homeless if that happens. These are definitely tough times...
Old 09-22-2008, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some thoughts:

Up to two years after you retire or ETS from the service your clearence is still active ( provided it does not time out). After two years, it is like you never had an investigation at all.

Credit problems that are on going and not fixed can point to someone who could be exploited. Credit problems, including bankrupsy, that are done and over are not a problem, when fully explained.

Investigations take a while to complete and the decision on the completion of the investigation can also take a while. My first investigation when I became an Army Civillian took over a year and the last one took two full years to complete.

But, all things looking good, an interm clearence can be granted during the investigation.

Investigations take the time. Granting access (clearence) takes about five minutes, once the investigation is completed.

Honesty in the investigation process is the only policy! Most offices should have a workbook that can be used to map out the process before sitting down to a computer to fill in forms.

Hal