Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Security Clearance Gurus HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Security Clearance Gurus HELP

Ok so I have had a ruff go lately and Im job searching for the first time in years. Looking for government work, but most every job needs a security clearance. No big deal for most but for me, ummm.
I am a former Marine, and while part of Marine Corps Security Forces Co I screwed up and got a DUI while on base and underage. Dont need a lecture it has been 12 years and I have not been in trouble since. Anyway my command was having a problem with underage drinking and slammed me. I was permanantly decertafied from the PRP (personnel reliability program). So my security clearance was pulled. Does the PRP have anything to do with the civilian world or is this just a military program. Did a mistake I made as a very young dumb man black ball me for good? Any thoughts or input would be great, thanks Ryan.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are going to work for the government as a civillian employee, the process of investigation is about the same as for a soldier. The process is a bit more envolved now as opposed to 12 years ago.

For the most part, the investigators look for patterns. Something 12 years ago and then good things after should not disqualify you. You may have to spend some time talking with an investigator about the DUI, PRP and all but don't sweat it. Be truthful and forthcomming with information. Telling the investigator one thing and them finding out something else can be a REAL PROBLEM.

For the most part don't sweat the investigation. If you want some more info / ideas PM me.

Hal
Old 09-19-2008, 08:45 AM

Secret security clearances only go back 10 years. Top Secret goes back 15. Even if you did something 12 years ago it won't prevent you from getting a clearance. Make sure you disclose it on your background investigation and don't try to hide ANYTHING! The more honest you are the better. As long as you don't have a felony or pattern offenses you'll be fine. They'll ask a lot of questions about it, but it's nothing to worry about.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:28 AM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The PRP, due to it's nature, has many more "quirks" than the regular clearance process. When I had my clearance updated a couple of years ago, an investigator called and questioned why I no longer required PRP and the higher clearances that came with it. I don't require it in my present job. All a matter of "need to know".
Like the CSM said, when you fill out the paper work, list everything. One time screw up's shouldn't affect anything. Multiple probably will.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:46 AM

I agree with the others. Be honest and you should be ok. A LOT of people are decerted from the PRP and still spend 20+ years in the military, and security clearances for civilians are pretty much the same as for military.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Banned

i work in a controlled facitility in a naval shipyard. everyone is required to obtain a clearance.. we tell all interviewee's to tell the exact truth on your SF-50(security form) and 9 times out of 10, they are ok with your past mistakes.. they would rather know beforehand than find it themselves.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:31 AM

Thanks guys Im feeling a little better now. Truth is I just got turned down after review for the Sheriff's office. I dont know why so Im a little shocked. Former Marine Corps Security Forces, Infantry Marine, double award expert with the pistol and they turned me down. Ive been waiting 2 months to hear the news and after getting them my confidence is shot. But hey I gotta get back on the horse and keep trying, and if theirs a chance I can regain my security clearance a whole lot more opportunities are available.
Thanks guys, Ryan.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by RyeThomas
Thanks guys Im feeling a little better now. Truth is I just got turned down after review for the Sheriff's office. I dont know why so Im a little shocked. Former Marine Corps Security Forces, Infantry Marine, double award expert with the pistol and they turned me down. Ive been waiting 2 months to hear the news and after getting them my confidence is shot. But hey I gotta get back on the horse and keep trying, and if theirs a chance I can regain my security clearance a whole lot more opportunities are available.
Thanks guys, Ryan.

sometimes getting turned down has nothing to do with how qualified you are. sometimes there is a quota they need to fill. so dont get down on yourself about not getting the job. it might have been totally out of your hands. I am sure you did everything you needed to.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:23 PM

hey rye i am still an active duty marine and am familiar on how it works with the secret clearances. That clearance dates back 10 years (as you know already) but because the fact that your clearance was pulled, you will more than likely fall into a different category. Just be honest and reiterate how long ago that dumb mistake was and you should get it no problem. Good luck and semper fi
Old 09-19-2008, 02:51 PM

i have worked with civilian clearances. the key as others have said is to be 100% honest and do not try to hide a thing. if you got a dui, tell em. if you did drugs, tell em. i know guys that were whacked out on drugs for years who cleaned themselves up and after a period of time were able to get clearances.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a clearance and it went inactive because my job didn't require it. It was harder to get it re-instated than it was to get the initial one.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:01 AM
Chapter President

I am am in the prcoess of getting my DOD Civ Clrnc, they granted an interim because of lack of criminal records, but I still have to get investigated. Just be honest to the max, they are going to check on your history, friends, finances, and background for the past 10 years.

Not sure about, the previous clearance, they will ask if you have had one and why not now, be 100% honest and hope for the best.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:36 AM

A friend of mine is trying to get his security clearance, he's relatively clean (had some trouble a few years ago with speeding tickets on a bike) but they are telling him not to get his hopes up because he has a couple of poor marks on his credit. I think it's a shame that a guy with 8 years of active duty plus 4 of reserves with only positive stuff in his file and no criminal hx might not get his clearance due to some spots on a credit report. Like they say above though, tell them everything, if you did some rec. drugs as a kid, tell them-they will probably find out anyway and it's better to hear it from you. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:59 PM

Biggest problem you're gonna come across is (and im not sure if you are aware of this) that you can not get a security clearance before getting the job.

In order to get a clearance, you have to get it through a government entity or a cleared contractor.. meaning you already have to have the job or be wanted bad enough for it to be sponsored (where the potential employer will take you in, clear you/get the clearance for you, then hire you on permanently). I ran into this in the IT world when I was looking around jobs with General Dynamics. Every job I wanted required clearance, and after contacting them many times they stated they only preferred people with clearance already, and that only in rare cases will the sponsor someone.

I ended up going into Healthcare IT instead of Defense IT.

Seemed like all the jobs that required clearance, required clearance BEFORE you join them. Big ol loopty loop!
Old 09-21-2008, 06:12 AM

Yep I have noticed the same thing. Kind of hard to get a clearance when you cant get one, and they wont hire you without one . Makes alot of sense. Again thanks guys Im motivated and ready to give it ago. Whats the worst they can do, say NO. Alot of people have already done that, man its a tuff time to be in the middle of a career change.

Quick Reply: Security Clearance Gurus HELP