Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Running the right oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running the right oil

[glow=red,2,300]AMSOIL[/glow] Has anyone used Amsoil in their truck? Would you recommend it? I have an '03 2500 4X4 automatic. If anyone has an opinion on this I'd like to hear it.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:19 PM

Re:Running the right oil

??? What the *%#@ is that suposed to mean? I might be new here but I'm only asking a question?
Old 08-16-2003, 07:25 PM

There seems to be alot of stong feelings on here for the use of, or not use of amsoil. I use Delo myself, it's alot cheaper and is approved by cummins. You can't go wrong with any oil approved by cummins, it should say if it's approved somewhere on the container.
Old 08-16-2003, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=03ramman link=board=10;threadid=18475;start=0#msg173344 date=1061079584]
??? What the *%#@ is that suposed to mean? I might be new here but I'm only asking a question?
[/quote]

Easy there big guy, it's only cause you're new that you don't understand. This oil question usually starts a war every time it comes up. That is what Gary was referring to, nothing at all against you. There are as many people for AMSOIL as there are against AMSOIL. I personally use it in everything I have and have for over 20 years now. I won't go into details but you have to do the research and use what makes you feel comfortable since it is your truck. If you care to hear my history on synthetics, send me a PM and I will send you some details.

Lets keep it civil guys, I have the locks lying right here by the monitor.
Thanks

Dieseldude4x4
Old 08-16-2003, 07:43 PM

as long as the oil has that api CG-4 or better rating, CH-4 & CI-4 are better, thennthe oil meets all the specs for turbo diesels and it's good to go ................

if the bottle does not have the proper API symbol on it don't use it

I use esso xd3 15w40 myself ..................my dad has used the amsoil heavy duty 15w40 for years in his toyota .......I found it too expensive for me since I don't run extended intervals like he does .........
Old 08-17-2003, 12:41 AM

Ok Gary I see what you were saying, and I didn't really mean to take offense. I've only been on here a day now and I've read some good things so far. It'll be nice to have a place to get some questions answered quickly, even if there are a few wise cracks made. I'm a kidder myself once in a while so I'll have to take a few. And I like popcorn too. So let's get to eatin'! Oh, after I change the oil!

Old 08-17-2003, 03:39 AM

Welcome 03ramman! The two hottest topics are probably oil brands and who is the better transmission builder/vendor. You nailed one of them on your first post. You can now sit back and wait for another new member to hit the other hot button.

I also use Delo 15w-40.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:49 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

I use Valvoline Premium Blue sold by Cummins locally- I love the design of the container and the big "C" on it gives me better fuel mileage and more power ;D (just kidding)

I don't know too much about Amsoil, but over here lots of people ran into problems by using the wrong Amsoil for the application they had. This gave some bad reputation to the product.To be on the safe side look up the minimum specifications for the oil you need on the Cummins website or in the owners manual and determine whether the oil you'd like to buy fulfills these specs.

AlpineRAM
Old 08-17-2003, 05:57 AM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas

Rotella-T, 15-40. Why? The blowby smell of Rotella tends to neutralize the runover smell of the skunks I meet on the way to work each morning.
Old 08-17-2003, 06:42 AM
GG

Wait till after you get a few miles on it if it's new.
I like Amsoil too.
It will be going in mine on the next oil change.
Tranny will be getting syn. also,in about another 5K.

Old 08-17-2003, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Good recovery there Gary. (phew)
I'm putting the locks away for awhile now. ;D
Old 08-17-2003, 07:35 AM

[quote author=03ramman link=board=10;threadid=18475;start=0#msg173462 date=1061098894]
It'll be nice to have a place to get some questions answered quickly, even if there are a few wise cracks made. I'm a kidder myself once in a while so I'll have to take a few. And I like popcorn too. So let's get to eatin'! Oh, after I change the oil!

[/quote]

Welcome aboard. Ain't you the lucky one? Hitting it right off I see. Wise cracks? Whaddya mean, wise cracks? Just wait until you meet our site greeter. He's a lovable kinda guy, drives an 03 too!! Use to drive a ford (wasn't even a diesel) but I guess we rubbed off on him. But, before you get off on the wrong foot with him, I'd best warn you that he's a little sensitive about being an Aggie. (What's with this GIG 'em Aggies stuff???. I thought a gig was a band job.) I dunno, I guess it's a texan thing. He'll be around to wish you well and welcome you too. His handle? Can we all say it in unison? Hey HOSS!!!, get up here and meet this fresh meat noobie!!!!

We like to have some fun around here. Unlike some other sites, we are respectful of our members, both old and new, but until you've exchanged snipes with Hoss, well, you'll just be a noobie. But fear not. It won't be long.
Welcome to our place.

~Dave WhobythewayusesDelo400butwillbegoingsyntheticinhis tranny.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:43 AM

And, since I'm on a roll today (got a bomb party today, so gotta get warmed up), just in case you noticed that your post count hasn't changed much, they (you know, the people who run this place, Jack and gang) decided a long time ago, in a far, far, away place (east coast far away) that posts in the OTHER forum wouldn't count for post count totals. Seems we had a few who would post silly stuff just to get their post counts up. Got carried away and really made it tough to get through all the trash to the good stuff. Well, anyway, that's why you need to get to the other forums and ask your guestions. By the way, on this site, the only dumb guestion is the one that is unasked. Now, about your tranny

~dave

Quick Reply: Running the right oil