Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

running air line in a home garage - - - -

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
running air line in a home garage - - - -

hey all,

i have a 20 gallon craftsman compressor in one corner of my garage. in another corner i have a 50' length of 3/8 hose on a retractable reel. i have about 25' between the two and need to run a hose from the compressor to supply the reel inlet.

will a 1/2 supply hose to the reel make a difference? or will it be the same as the 3/8?

also, the outlet fitting on the compressor is the 3/8 size (1/4 NPT i think) - and the inlet fitting on the reel is the same size. so, if i did run 1/2 line it would have to be reduced at each end. will the reductions on each end cancel out the benefit of the 1/2 line?

i don't get too terribly involved with the big stuff in the garage, so a 1/2 impact would most likely be my biggest air tool, and would only be used on occasion. the rest of the time i would be using an air hammer, die grinder, and a 3/8 air ratchet (non impact).

the equipment i have is what i am sticking with. 1/2 hose on the reel would be too big and bulky for basic DIY work around the garage/house. i went with 3/8 for a decent compromise and am sticking with it (plus i found a great deal on the reel setup at princess auto). also, the compressor will not be changing anytime soon.

so, based on the above info, what would you all do - 3/8 or 1/2?

thanx!

jason
Old 06-30-2011, 03:33 AM

I would go with 3/8. That way I wouldnt have to worry about psig being lower at the reel because I had to pressurize a bigger area (1/2 line) between the compressor and the reel...
Old 06-30-2011, 04:50 AM

Now I could be way off here, but in my own mind it would make sense to run the bigger line. It would serve as a buffer when you first hit the trigger on an air tool, as there is more volume of air in the bigger line. So there would be less of a pressure drop.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:04 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Use the bigger line for less pressure drop under load.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:52 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Run you some 1" sch 40 pvc across the ceiling to several spots, Then use a short 1/'2" hose everywhere. The more line you put on it, the bigger your air tank becomes. You can actually put a T on your compressor and plug in another tank and your compressor will run much better. Especially if your using alot of air. Just remember to put in a low point drain on every pipe that is heading down the wall so you can drain condensation out.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know what CFM you need but 3/8 is small for any good flow,go 1/2" or even 3/4.
According to my chart a 50' run @ 1-10 CFM, the recommended air line size is 1/2. If you need higher flow you need 3/4". It doesn't even list 3/8. The cost for a larger line would not be that much. FYI
Old 06-30-2011, 09:06 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
first question is what are the capabilities of the compressor. a 20 gallon might not have enough guts to flow enough air for that size line.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:18 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I would plumb it in permanently with half inch line, and slope it slightly back toward the compressor for drainage, with a low spot built in at the end, and a drain valve.

Many shops I have worked in used copper pipe for air, and it always worked well, and was easy to work with.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by torquefan
Many shops I have worked in used copper pipe for air, and it always worked well, and was easy to work with.

I second pipe of some kind.

You won't ever have to worry about fatigue or failure, you can put a dryer on the distant end with the spool, and if you ever hit the hose with sparks, flame, or a broken grinder wheel there is no need to make a mad dash for the valve so you're not blowing air all over the place.

And please don't ask how I know about that last reason ......

-Kris
Old 06-30-2011, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
low presseor hyd hose 3/4 or one in. not too costly ,lasts a lifetime. lots of air flow with little drop.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:29 PM

hey thanx for all the replies and info. sounds like my biggest issue might be the volume of the system to act as a buffer/reservoir.

running larger pipe with multiple outlets is more than overkill in my attached doublecar home garage. i have the 50' reel and it will reach well beyond the confines of the garage and back again easily . . .

in looking at multiple commonly used airtools - the inlets are mostly 1/4 NPT anyway (which seems to be the standard coupler thread size for 3/8). so. that being said, i will stick with a 3/8 run of hose as it is easiest/cheapest and requires less fittings for chance of leaks.

i will run the 3/8 for now and if i find i am 'under-aired' i will add an additional tank and plumb it in to the system for a bigger buffer reservoir.

does this plan sound unreasonable - based on the fact that the buffering would be my biggest issue?
Old 07-02-2011, 07:39 PM

Half-inch black iron pipe works well if you use a drip leg and a drain valve.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:11 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

the biggest issue with running larger lines is how fast the system charges and recharges.
the larger lines will increase capacity. If I recall correctly, 1/2" line is about a gallon per 100 ft. I would definitely put a drip tube near the end of the run.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
northern tool and harbor freight has a very high quality kit that has everything you need northerntool.com #490500
Old 07-03-2011, 08:30 PM

the compressor end of the hose run will be a quick connect coupler - so i will just leave it disconnected when not in use and it will drain naturally. i'll be sure to run the line with some slope too . . .

Quick Reply: running air line in a home garage - - - -