Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Rules for Cell Phones

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rules for Cell Phones

While cell phones are great, they can be quite annoying. Given that, I'm laying the ground rules for anyone who feels the need to call me.

1) Understand that I have a cell phone for MY convenience, not yours. Just because I give you my cell phone number does not mean that I am here for you 24/7.

2) If you call once and I do not answer, leave a message. I will call you back when it is convenient for me. If you hang up and call me over and over again hoping that I will answer you will only make me angry. Calling over and over again should ONLY be done in the case of a true and actual emergency.

3) To my employer: You gave me a company cell phone so that you could contact me when I am not in my office. That is fine, but understand that when I go home at night I no longer consider myself to be on company time. If you choose to bother me during the evening by calling my cell phone, I will not answer because my phone will be in my truck. See Rule #2.

4) To those who are conversing with me face to face: I will not answer my cell phone if you and I are in the middle of a conversation. If it is an emergency then I certainly understand, but otherwise, please extend the same courtesy to me as I do to you and wait until our conversation has ended before answer that phone.

5) To those who are dining with me: I consider it to be rude to interrupt someone while they are trying to enjoy a meal. My phone will be on silent or turned off while we are dining, and I certainly will not answer it. Please do me and everyone around us a favor by turning that stupid phone off while we eat.

6) To those who share the road with me: On the rare occasion that I talk on the cell phone will driving, I will be using a hands free kit and you will not know by my driving that I am on the phone. This is because I am concentrating on driving the 7000 pound vehicle that I am sitting in. If you must answer the phone while you drive, please do so safely and don't let it distract you from the task at hand...driving. I will be quite angry if you swerve into my lane and hit me because you were talking on your cell phone and didn't see me.

7) To those who go to church with me: If you are going to take your cell phone to church, PLEASE either turn it off or put it on silent. I do not like hearing "Hello Moto" followed by an annoying tune while we are trying to pray to our Father in Heaven.

Okay...I guess I'm done.

Old 03-14-2006, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my roomate's former girlfriend drove his CTD with a cast on her left arm and while on the cell phone. Needless to say she never drove his truck again.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
#8. Please respect those around you when you take a call. There is no need to talk LOUDER than normal. It is rude to be talking on a cell phone in an elevator, standing in a crowded check out line. Use the caller ID to call them back.

#9. If you come upon an accident or emergency and you are not the first person there DO NOT CALL POLICE. 911 centers are being FLOODED with unnessary & duplicate calls.

#10. Don't call people just to burn up extra minutes. It is obvious to them you just want to waste time. Use the phone for productivity, and don't be a chatty kathy.

#11. It is a felony for telemarkerters to call a cell phone and try to sell you something. Get their name, company, and turn them into the public service commision for your state.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:24 PM

Are you sure about #11? I thought they were'nt supposed to do it, but a felony seems like a bit much.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:09 PM

#12 Don't use text messaging. Text messaging defeats the purpose of carrying a cell phone.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:35 PM

#13 - Hoss gets his panties in a bunch over everything nowadays

HeHe, I use my cell phone for business too...my business

Chris
Old 03-14-2006, 01:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DirtEater
Are you sure about #11? I thought they were'nt supposed to do it, but a felony seems like a bit much.
Telemarketers are knowingly stealing from you by calling your "toll" number. There are no phone books with cell phone numbers, so they have "stolen" your cell number from somewhere. They should be jailed.

In the Great State of Nebraska it is a FELONY. Our law makers decided if you are paying for the incomming call, and it is an unsolicited sales pitch it is a felony. God, I love this state. I just LOVE to scare the heck out of telemarketers. Even their supervisors about soil their pants when they find out it is a felony.

The law says; It is the telemarketer's responsibility to determine if the telephone number is a toll call via the 3 number prefix. They have the ability to block certain numbers, it they don't it's a felony. They rarely prosicute, but the law is there for those who continually break it.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266
Telemarketers are knowingly stealing from you by calling your "toll" number. There are no phone books with cell phone numbers, so they have "stolen" your number from somewhere. They should be jailed.

In the Great State of Nebraska it is a FELONY. Our law makers decided if you are paying for the incomming call, and it is an unsolicited sales pitch it is a felony. God, I love this state. I just LOVE to scare the heck out of telemarketers. Even their supervisors about soil their pants when they find out it is a felony.

The law says; It is the telemarketer's responsibility to determine if the telephone number is a toll call via the 3 number prefix. They have the ability to block certain numbers, it they don't it's a felony. They rarely prosicute, but the law is there for those who continually break it.

heck yeah, i still have telemarketers call me because i still have a 402 area code on my cell phone. im gonna start pulling that on them,lol. you still up for hittin the bar,lol, i'll drink ya under the table
Old 03-14-2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by signature600
#13 - Hoss gets his panties in a bunch over everything nowadays
Not really. I was just bored and felt like starting a thread about something.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
#12 Don't use text messaging. Text messaging defeats the purpose of carrying a cell phone.

Edit:

Text messaging is for brief comments when no call is necessary...If you need to engage in a deep, personal conversation, dial the friggin number!!!
Old 03-14-2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Herrin821
Edit:

Text messaging is for brief comments when no call is necessary...If you need to engage in a deep, personal conversation, dial the friggin number!!!
I couldn't think of a way to say that. I have seen girls sit on thier phone for 2-3 hrs and ONLY text message. Just kills me.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:28 PM

The sad thing is that I've seen kids who can text message every bit as fast as they can talk.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:29 PM

Guilty!

I usually send text messages to my honey when I know she's having a rough day. They're usually pretty short and guaranteed to bring a smile to her face.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by TomW
Guilty!

I usually send text messages to my honey when I know she's having a rough day. They're usually pretty short and guaranteed to bring a smile to her face.
Yea, but I bet your friends would laugh at you if you did it to them.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:26 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
I'm a computer consultant and my cell is on 24/7. If a customer calls me at any time it's MONEY in the bank. I also have my email set up so that certain customers emails get forwarded to my phone.

I'll try to be courteous if we're dining or speaking but you should realize that my phone is my livelihood and make adjustments. If I went to church or to the theatre I put it on vibrate as a courtesy but don't be surprised if I go outside or to the lobby to take a call.

I have a hands free setup which I use if I'm on a trip but not if I'm just going down the street. My use of my phone while driving is no more distracting that your use of the radio or lighting a cigarette. Get over it.

Edwin

Quick Reply: Rules for Cell Phones