Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Rotten Day!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rotten Day!

Besides the schedules and closings on most my Jobs going to heck, I also had the unfortunate experience of having my truck backed into today. Sure I laid on the horn like no tomorrow to warn the lady driving that she was getting pretyy close pretty fast but that did no good. The facia and bumper took a small hit and suffered minor damages. But the WORST thing that happened to me was I accidently let my boy's cockatiel get away out the slider door. He is pretty upset because we have had Pikachu for about 4 years. Put some fliers around the neighborhood just in case with some pictures but the bird doesn't stand a chance unless someone finds it and cares for it or it comes back which I don't think will happen. What next to top off this bad day? Concrete mixer truck dumps off his extras in the bed of my truck?
Old 04-12-2004, 09:59 PM

Yeah, I know how you feel, only mine hit on Saturday. Got the truck all done (timing and valve adj.), putting the airhorn back on, and tightening one of the long bolts and tink, the torque wrench literally explodes. Look down, oh no you didn't, yes, it broke the bolt, too. Call the dealer get the size of the bolt, there is one at a Ddge dealer in the ENTIRE country, and it is in OK. All right, I'll get one from the hardware store. Nope, nobody within a 50 mile radius, the size is 8mm 1.25 pitch 145mm long. I ended up ordering 2 (one is backup) from MA, so I temporarily welded two bolts together, but I still have a boost leak to deal with until Thurs. And on top of that, I mis-timed my truck, so I get to do it again on Wed.

There, I feel better now (a little)
Old 04-12-2004, 11:00 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Re: Rotten Day!

Originally posted by Ram04
What next to top off this bad day? Concrete mixer truck dumps off his extras in the bed of my truck? [/B]
LMAO!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2004, 09:58 AM

Pikachu the cockatiel bird looks to be gone probably for good. Really attached to that little guy, not as much as my dog but enough to miss it. This thing use to follow me around the house like the dog, then perch under my computer chair and jabber up a storm. Walked with a limp like charlie chaplin , Cute little bird.

Damage to my truck was about 360 dollars according to the body shop. Does anyone know if the plastic bumper covers on the sport can be repaired from gouges in them. The metal behind one piece was also pushed in but I am worried about the body guy saying he can repair the gouge in the plastic. Can this be done? Sorry about the poor description. Boy it sucks when someone runs in to a new vehicle.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:46 PM

Unbelieveable,

Got our cockatiel back from someone down the street who saw our flyers we put up. He found it sitting on top of his BBQ with three cats eyeing him from below. I told my son to say a few prayers and he might come back , and well, it worked. What a great day.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:47 PM

Amen the power of prayer
Old 04-15-2004, 12:04 AM
Chapter President

That's great!! Still sucks about the truck, PM me and I'll give you the name and number of a guy that did some work for us on our company truck.
Tom
Old 04-15-2004, 07:12 AM

I have a "strange" cokatiel story.

Man,,,,how do I start this... Well, to set the stage, my family lives very close to each other. Growing up on the ranch there was 3 houses. My dads, Grandparents, and my dads brother's house. Well, one day when I was around 8 years old(im 24 now,,,so that was,, um...16 years ago), my aunt was walking to her house, and a cockatiel came down and landed on her shoulder. It seemed very scared, yet it was very tame. She took the bird in, and they kept that bird for ever it seemed like. at lease 13 years.

Well, my wife(who grew up about 1 mile from our ranch) and I were talking about pet birds one day. I told her of a bird that my aunt had caught, and the words it used to say.(it always said "pretty bird".) she was like . she said that when she was around 6 or 7 her sister let thier cockatiel out of the house on accident. and thier bird used to say the same things that my aunts bird used to say. So all those years they thought that bird was gone, it was actually just 1 mile away. Pretty cool.

phillip
Old 04-15-2004, 09:02 AM

Glad you got your 'tiel back. Mine died two years ago (at the age of 14!) and my wife picked up a pair a few months ago. Great little birds - they enjoy terrorizing the cats when they're out.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:41 AM

Ram04,

I am fairly certain that the rubber baby buggy bumper part of your truck can be repaired. I installed a dust collector for a firm down here that actually restores them from wrecked cars for second hand parts re-use. They repair the gouges with some type of flexible material (similar to a flexible bondo) after they have stripped all of the paint off. Once repainted you can not tell a previously damaged one from a new factory one.

Gary
Old 04-15-2004, 12:40 PM

Yes it can be fixed. The body shop I worked at for a while use a product called Duramix.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:52 PM
Banned

Duramix? Sounds to close to Duramax for my taste.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:16 PM

Well they do have something in common they are both made mostly of plastic . Now for a more serious note, Duramix makes all kinds of products for the repair of plastic from a small scratch to a large crack. They also make products for bonding glass and metal and just about anything else you can think of. All in all it is good stuff and it works wonders on broken snowmobile hoods .
Old 04-15-2004, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the replys all.

Tfeore, I am along the Colorado River, much closer to Vegas than phoenix, otherwise I would give your guy a call, prolly join the local DTR there also, but way to busy and I hardly get to Phoenix anymore.

Palmetto, That was a good story, But don't they all say "pretty bird" They do develop personalities though so they are not easy to replace. Same goes with all pets I guess.

Good to hear that the bumper can be fixed that way as good as new. I was kind of skeptical, and I have been trying to deal with the lady's insurance company.

Thanks for all the well wishes,,
Old 04-15-2004, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by jaconst
Amen the power of prayer
EXACTLY. Congrats on the bird making its way home.