Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Robbed at gunpoint friday pm

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Here in Southern California there is a good chance depending on where you are you might need it several times a week.
In our local newspaper there is not one day go by that there is not a crime involving a gun.
Just 2 nights ago we heard 3 gunshots, a week earlier there were 5 close enough for the neighbors to come out and all say they came from the same direction, 2 streets away where we know there are known gang members
The gangs are getting more and more ruthless every day and not afraid of the police.
With the way the economy is going I can guarantee you the crime and strong-arm assaults are going to increase.
There have been several carjackings in the last month that turn into police pursuits. And oh yes police pursuits are on the rise.
And we are in a good neighborhood.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you everybody for the quality and postive information!! I doing well and its not on my mind as much anymore. I do however approach with a much higher sense of awareness at all times (it was already high i thought).
Im happy, still alive and headed to hang out with a good buddy of mine in DE. So, see yall later!
Old 02-20-2009, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shovelhead
That is also why you need to make REAL sure you're mentally prepared (Pratice and Training) BEFORE you get into that kind of situation.

You might hesitate a second before pulling the trigger on another human being......the bad guy WON'T.

Glad everyone made it though alive.
Shovelhead spelled it out here correctly when we carry we must be prepared it has to be a natural response and their can be no hesitation or as my wife once asked can i "just shoot them in the leg" At that point you aim to kill and you do NOT stop until the threat is no longer a threat or the gun is empty.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:53 PM

You definitely did the right thing at the time given the lack of tools. One downside to getting robbed like that as pointed out, is you never know if after they get your items they want, if they will harm you or not. It happens time and time again, and even home defense people will tell you dead men cant talk. Well, criminals also know dead men won't ID them.

It sucks that it's usually illegal to shoot them after they have robbed you and are leaving, but its also a horrible assumption to think that once youve complied with their original request that the threat is over. They could very well walk a few steps and turn around and shoot, or take your car to your house for a quick unnoticed robbery (who would be suspicious of your own car in your driveway..)

Glad your situation turned out ok, but definitely look at options you have because if god forbid it happens again, it may not play out the same.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:48 PM

I totally agree with the statement about being mentally prepared. If you can not pull the trigger or if you carry a firearm to "scare" someone and hope they will flee if they see your gun, please please do not carry a gun. Someone will take it away from you and kill you with your own gun. There is no shoot them in the leg, there is no warning shot. It is called deadly force for a reason--IMO--you shoot to kill. My point is, make sure you can shoot before you ever have to-make sure you have already thought it out. If it is not automatic when the situation arises you will be the second shooter and likely will lose. I also agree, shooting someone is the LAST resort and you should try everything before it becomes necessary but you also must be able to reconize when you have reached that point. Training, training, training!!!!!!!!!
Jay
Old 02-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Chapter President

1st- glad your alive and unharmed, handled it as well as you could, dirtbag had the perverbial "drop" on you. Having a carry permit and drawing on him would likely have got you planted. Only way would be recognizing the situation when he asked for a lighter.....but who would think they were gonna be robbed at gun point. Lesson learned, maybe next time walk towards a crowd or something like your still going to your car further down the line?

2nd- Very good post Shovelhead, very good.

3rd- Bad guy pulls gun, threatens my life or my family(in Tn we have the third party law also). I put some 45 hornady TAP rounds in his chest and eliminate the threat. Call police tell them there has been a shooting at xx and wait, empty my weapon and explain dead guy.

When it's over, I go about my life. One less dirtbag in the world, live with it? Not a problem, him or me and I'd rather it be him. They choose to live "dangerously" but they have to realize their not "Austin Powers". I am thinking now why I know I could live with it.....but, I will not get into the darkest inner workings of my mind. Probably be to much for "folks" to handle.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:52 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by DZLPWR
.....Then an individual i had not spotted came from behind and went straight for my wallet. ........
Reread the original post and missed this VERY important point.

Because you might spot bad guy number one advancing and think you can "save the day" by drawing on him, only means your head should be on a swivel looking for Bad Guy number 2, or 3, or 4...... BEFORE you make a move
Old 02-20-2009, 08:08 PM

I got robbed in '84 by a fellow I dismissed as dangerous because he looked like Ron Howard with plastic framed glasses. I was within arm's reach of my own revolver under my seat but common sense told me to do exactly as you did and not get shot trying to be my own hero. He was smooth, quick and gone. He who draws first and has the element of surprise usually wins the gunfight. Glad you're ok...
Old 02-21-2009, 06:49 AM
Chapter President

No, I said all that could be done in his situation was done. Guy had gun in his side before he knew it, game over. Nothing I could have done except control my temper cause I would have been trying not to shoot him in the back. I was referring to a different situation all together and how I would feel after eliminating the threat.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very happy that you are not harmed. The ones that do this and other violent things need to be exterminated. If you have a ccw permit, that just makes you feel safer. You really need to go out and use it, go to the shooting range, practice and feel good about it. Lots of other posts say the samthing..........if you have to, will you. I would have to change underwear. You did the right thing no matter what you think.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Reread the original post and missed this VERY important point.

Because you might spot bad guy number one advancing and think you can "save the day" by drawing on him, only means your head should be on a swivel looking for Bad Guy number 2, or 3, or 4...... BEFORE you make a move
And that very fact is why im glad i did not do anything to the gunman. If i had done anything to try and grab the gun/ hit the guy, the other guy would have surely clocked me in the back of my head, with out a doubt.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pull Ya
please please do not carry a gun.
Jay
Boy, those could be some famous last words to adhere to.

I carry a gun in every legal place I can.

So, I guess now I'm the bad guy?

6 or 12, it's every mans own decision.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:52 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by 1-2-3
"You can carry it in your palm under the grocery bag"

How many years would someone need to carry something in their palm until it's really needed. I'm 46 and have never once needed a gun. That's not saying I won't need one this afternoon, but odds are likely that I won't.
This is the thing. You can walk around everywhere for years with that loaded gun in your hand, eat with it in your hand, sleep with it in your hand, just waiting for that moment when you will need it. Then when the bad guy surprises you and he still has his gun drawn on you first, he still may discharge his first, or at least he may end up with your wallet AND your gun.Seems like a pretty slim chance that you could have ever come out of this situation better than you did.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:40 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by oilfield-trash
Boy, those could be some famous last words to adhere to.

I carry a gun in every legal place I can.

So, I guess now I'm the bad guy?

6 or 12, it's every mans own decision.
Now try not selecting ONE part of the man's statement and beating him over the head with it.

COMPLETE Quote:
If you can not pull the trigger or if you carry a firearm to "scare" someone and hope they will flee if they see your gun, please please do not carry a gun.
I agree with HIS statement.
A firearm is NOT a magic talisman that will cause Bad Guys to flee at the mere sight of it.
It is a TOOL, that when used properly, might assist you in staying alive for another day.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Banned

Every time you pull your weapon you dont have to use it. You must be prepared to use it. My concealed weapons class instructor - (ex-millitary-Hamburger Hill survivor, and an ex-cop) told us of at least 2 times he has pulled his weapon to "scare" a would be assailant. Both times it worked. If it had not worked, one well placed shot in the chest would have. Of couse every situation was different.

"Shootem in the leg first, when he turns around, shoot him again." Ron White

But then again, I'm not a socialized, tree huggin, Obama voting, animal loving, Sean Penn supporting, liberal democrat - just like "most" of you here are not. I am not violent, I am not skin head. Im just a conservative red blooded American, with a firm belief that every man should, at no expense, defend his life, family , and propetry. If this means killing someone - then so be it. If this means I get killed - well me and Jesus are friends.

Quick Reply: Robbed at gunpoint friday pm