Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Robbed at gunpoint friday pm

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SundayMoney
If they're running away,the threat to your life is over at that point. Its not typically going to be legal to shoot them in the back as they're running away.
I think it is legal in Texas, if they have your stuff.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you were able to come home safe and report this to us and not from a hospital bed or worse. Our guys here have given you good advice even if you had been carrying the way that one played out it does not sound like it would have helped since they got the jump on you.

This incident is going to happen more often with our troubled times ahead so get yourself better prepared and keep yourself more aware . Stay safe.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:42 PM

Iron Mike,
You are correct. You just need to decide if that is what you really want to do. It's far eaiser to talk about pulling the trigger on someone than actually doing it. Once you pull the trigger you never get that round back!
Jay
Old 02-19-2009, 04:49 PM

I know it's sounds pretty cowardly to shoot someone while they are running away, but it's pretty cowardly to rob a man at gun point too.....Our laws are all backwards.
If the thieves knew there was a real chance they may get hot lead in their **** they wouldn't be quite as bold.
Whats really bad is even if the law would have caught them they'de probably get little more than probation....makes me sick.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You did the right thing.
Lived to see your family again and uninjured.

That is priority #1.

Now even in the right, let's suppose you were armed and killed the man. Nothing can prepare you for living with those consequences. It tends to change a person (and not always for the better)
About the only way you could live with it, would be in defence of your family IMHO.

Chin up, statistically speaking it will only be a matter of time before he is caught.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by hivoltage
I know it's sounds pretty cowardly to shoot someone while they are running away, but it's pretty cowardly to rob a man at gun point too.....Our laws are all backwards.
If the thieves knew there was a real chance they may get hot lead in their **** they wouldn't be quite as bold.
Whats really bad is even if the law would have caught them they'de probably get little more than probation....makes me sick.

I totally agree. Nowdays,the victims have fewer rights than the criminal.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:35 PM

you did the rght thing , it does make me glad i carry a gun
Old 02-19-2009, 05:46 PM

i never cary any of my personal information in my wallet for that reason the only thing i cary is my bank card drivers license a credit card and some subway coupons. so if i ever get robbed i will laugh and say here you go i have a free subway sandwich enjoy. i got jumped once and all i had was my gym gloves and gym card. the guy had no weapon and wasnt a good fighter. in other words i beat the snot out of him and laughed little did i know he had a whole gang of about 15 people with him luckily they thought it was funny and just laughed at my attacker.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Banned

Go get your concealed carry and one of these. You can carry it in your palm under the grocery bag. They kill very well.

Texas DPS Motto: In the end violence rules.
Attached Thumbnails Robbed at gunpoint friday pm-img_0338.jpg  
Old 02-19-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with every one you did the right thing. As for being armed yourself at that moment it would be a coin toss if it would have helped you or made it worse. While shooting him in the butt while he ran away would have done the world a favor. He would be seen as fleeing and would have turned out rather bad for you.

I tend to think there would be a great deal less crime if more people where armed, however I think they should be properly trained. If you really do want to carry take classes along with standard self defense classes.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:46 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
DZLPWR
Glad you are ok
You did the best thing and you are here to talk about it.
You can go over and over in your head how you are going to react in that situation but unless you have a loaded gun in your hand and not a bag of groceries you will never be ready for it.

I wish we were all like Chuck Norris and fight all of them at once.

This happened to me,

Several years ago I was ambushed by 2 black crack heads in Rialto Ca. they came out of the shadows, one ask me if I had the time my instinct was to open my cell phone and told him and seconds later I had a gun at the side of my head and he pinned me against the back of my truck. He said I want the keys and went through me pockets and took the wrong keys 80 dollars and my engraved money clip and my cell phone. I did what he wanted then he stepped back about 2 feet and fired 6 times 3 hitting me in the back and 3 hitting in the back of my truck. I could hear him breathing and I could hear the action of the gun as he fired it, they then turned and ran.

Adrenalin is a funny chemical and it gives you super powers, you can hear, smell and endure things you never thought was possible. Luckily it was a .22cal short it went through 2 jackets and only under the surface.
After I realized I was breathing I went into the apartment I was working at and told the girl I was just shot and she said whaat? So I took off my shirt and she passed out.
Police came and they could not believe I was talking to them, I gave their description and she said, “You just described 75% of the people in the city.”

They got away but we believe they were both killed in a liquor store holdup 1 month later on Riverside Drive.

Keep track of your blood pressure; ever since the shooting I have had Hypertension.

Sadly I now I am even more suspicious of everyone, and I was bad before.
I always watch everyone’s hands and body movements while I am in stores or in a restraunt.

I always plan an escape route my family understands by a word or a motion.

I will not go into a fast food restraunt with only one way out.

Jim
Old 02-20-2009, 04:50 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Pull Ya
Iron Mike,
You are correct. You just need to decide if that is what you really want to do. It's far eaiser to talk about pulling the trigger on someone than actually doing it. Once you pull the trigger you never get that round back!
Jay

This only goes for the good guy.
These scumbags had no difficulty in pulling the trigger 6 times.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:58 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
This only goes for the good guy.
These scumbags had no difficulty in pulling the trigger 6 times.
That is also why you need to make REAL sure you're mentally prepared (Pratice and Training) BEFORE you get into that kind of situation.

You might hesitate a second before pulling the trigger on another human being......the bad guy WON'T.

Glad everyone made it though alive.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:22 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
DZLPOWER: Man, I am glad that you are alive and unhurt (except for your feelings)

I think (and the fact that you ain't got additional holes proves it) that you did the right thing in the situation.
You have a responsibility for your family- and you can only follow through if you are alive. I think that the situations where you need to risk your life to protect your family are very rare- and in all other situations your primary mission is to survive.
Naturally carrying a gun would have given you some extra options- but most of them would have been inferior to the outcome you have now.
Option A: As it was, perp doesn't notice you carry.
Option B: As in a bad movie, you get threatened and shoot perp(s).
Option C: You draw, perp pulls trigger, -1 DZLPOWER
Option D: Starts like option A, but you shoot the perp after they have your wallet.

In all but option A you either lose a lot of time, money(for lawyers) , your life, or your freedom.
So, even though I am an armed citizen myself, I think that a gun is a very limited tool, and really a last resort. Any armed person IMO needs to avoid getting caught in what is reflected in the old saying- If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Glad to still have you around

AlpineRAM
Old 02-20-2009, 07:38 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
"You can carry it in your palm under the grocery bag"

How many years would someone need to carry something in their palm until it's really needed. I'm 46 and have never once needed a gun. That's not saying I won't need one this afternoon, but odds are likely that I won't.

I keep good insurance on the truck, and a now a copy of what in my wallet, and my cellphone backed up to my pc. Usually no cash, 1 debit card only that we use only as a spending money account. The account that we pay important things with we never carry cards for. Anybody want's it that bad, they can have it all.

Quick Reply: Robbed at gunpoint friday pm