Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Robbed at gunpoint friday pm

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robbed at gunpoint friday pm

Hey fellow DTR members!!

Being a long time member of DTR i have to let yall know of an incident that occured this past friday

8:45pm Friday Food Lion Ettrick, VA

I was walking to my car with groc. in hand. As i approched my car, a young black male appeared from in front of a van parked next to my car. He asked "hey man do you have lighter?" and i responded "naw man" as i was putting groc. in rear driver door of car (4door). As i rose up and shut the door he had approched even closer, between me and my drivers door. He said "hold still" as he cocked and pointed a chrome semi auto at my gut (held from his waist). I casually asked "what the **** do you want?" He repeated himself, and unarmed i remained silent. Then an individual i had not spotted came from behind and went straight for my wallet. They then causally dispersed and ran off towards the train tracks as i was dialing 911. 6 units, 2 k-9s, permimeter set-up, and a plane. No leads yet. They got no cash, debit card, credit card,(both canceled) licence and other misc cards/info from my wallet. Maybe even my SS card.

Just letting yall know the situation. Ive reviewed this a thousand times in my head and def. believe this is the BEST and most hassle free outcome i could ask for and im very happy about that.

Im looking into a CWP, being that if i had someone else (girl friend) with me it could have been terribly different.

Any input on:
-Situation
-What you would do/have done (no hero storys please)
-Info of shooting rights of CWP holders in VA
-If you want more info please ask

THANKS for any input!!!
-Jake
Old 02-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the area have a rep for hold ups?? Sucks but you basically had a bad experience but a reasonable out come.

Not to make you paranoid but since they have your address and came up empty you may want to review your home security situation.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
From your description, you did exactly what you should have in that situation.......survived and retained info for the responding law enforcement officers, and returned home to your loved ones.....

As for the BGs, the the outcome brought on with the introduction of a weapon after you have a gun pointed at you would most likely not have gone in your favor.

As for the VA CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit) rules as I understand them, you cannot fire at a fleeing perp.
You can draw and fire to protect your life if you feel that it is in jeopardy, but a perp leaving the scene is no longer a threat to you.
Two guys in a parking lot approaching me....I'd have tried to stealthly draw when behind the door (Cover) to be prepared to counter his further advance.
If it's really an innocent aproach, they should never see the firearm.

Situational Awareness (Spidey Senses) will allow you to see potential trouble before it escalates.

A GOOD CHP class will go a long way toward answering any questions regarding Use of Deadly Force issues.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Omg.............
Old 02-18-2009, 07:09 PM

Some good info (Emphasis mine)
Rules for a Gunfight
Anonymous
1. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns.

2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap - life is expensive.

3. Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.

4. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly.

5. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movement are preferred.)

6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend with a long gun.

7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.

8. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running.

9. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun. Use a gun that works EVERY TIME. "All skill is in vain when an Angel blows the powder from the flintlock of your musket."

10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

11. Always cheat, always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

12. Have a plan.

13. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work.

14. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.

15. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.

16. Don't drop your guard.

17. Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees.

18. Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them.)

19. Decide to be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.

20. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

21. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

22. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.

23. Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

24. Do not attend a gun fight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with anything smaller than "4".

25. You can't miss fast enough to win.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:42 PM

Shovelhead, very good advice.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:14 PM

You did perfect- look at the outcome: you, alive and unwounded. It's nice to think about what you could have done, but it can make you bitter. Concentrate instead on the lessons you came away with and plan for preventing/avoiding a "next time", and a contingency plan for a "next time".

I'm going to PM you with a website you might like to look at.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by stinkindiesel
You did perfect- look at the outcome: you, alive and unwounded. It's nice to think about what you could have done, but it can make you bitter. Concentrate instead on the lessons you came away with and plan for preventing/avoiding a "next time", and a contingency plan for a "next time".
Just think of it as two citizens trying to get a jump on the new Prez's "Share The Wealth" program.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Situational Awareness (Spidey Senses) will allow you to see potential trouble before it escalates.
I'm sure you "SA" is increased now.

I always watch who is walking behind me, driving behind me, ever time I walk into a building I locate exits and who hostile threats "might" be, and I always keep lights on around my house. These are the little things that make it harder for you to become a target or a victim. The last CCW class I took talked a lot about these things not just the laws around handling a weapon. You also might want to look into a personal defense class.

Glad ever thing turned out the best it could have.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:39 PM

anything you walk away form is a good outcome be proud you did good, kept your head when others might have lost theres. a wallet with no money is not worth getting hurt over its leather and plastic inside good job.....
Old 02-18-2009, 09:23 PM

May not seem like a good outcome, but your still very much alive. Life is but a big game and your not game over. Some may talk trash bout what they would have done, but of them how many have actually been at the bad end of a gun ??
Old 02-18-2009, 10:12 PM

i have lol been on the wrong end of alot of them thank god for my IBA and i dont like it on that end of the two way shooting range
Old 02-18-2009, 10:14 PM

glad your alright man, I would have done the same thing, i mean no matter how tough you are, guns kill...and im a wuss anyways
Old 02-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
You did the right thing, Glad you didn't get hurt
Old 02-18-2009, 10:27 PM

You did the right thing and learned form it. We all need to be more alert.

Quick Reply: Robbed at gunpoint friday pm