Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

road rage (sorry it's long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a trucker, I see this kind of stuff nearly everyday. I can't count the times someone has pulled out in front of me only to stop for a left turn 2 blocks away, causing me to stomp on the brakes twice. Or passed me before turning. I could go on and on, but I won't. Anger breeds anger. Most of these people have no control over their lives anywhere but behind the wheel.
I have developed an attitude where I won't let those a-holes ruin my day. I now expect every motorist to do the stupidest manuever possible, and prepare for it. It's actually become a game for me, trying to outguess the morons. It's all about attitude, don't let them get to you, LAUGH at them instead. It's a much better way of releasing the tension.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Gotlift01
I have a little story to share.......<snip>
Well coming up to the stop light I end up right behind the guy.......who decides he wants to jump out of his Chevy with his tire iron

Ok well now it's on because I took this as a threat to me and I wasn't gonna give him a chance to beat the crap out of my truck let alone me. So I rip of my jacket and jump out of my truck.......( I'm a big dude....and even bigger then....6'4 230 pounds and spent all free time in the gym ). Well ol' home boy about poops himself when he see's me and runs back to his truck and slams the door. Well at this point I'm running towards his truck while he is trying to take off.........I get to the door and punched his window as hard as I could shattering it..........the light turns green and the cars move and off he goes like a bat outta hell.......dang coward!!!!

Granted I should not have done that, but I felt threatend and needed to show that guy that some people WILL defend themselves!!! And luckily I didn't break my hand, but it sure hurt like a son of a gun for a few weeks after that

~Nick
I know exactly what you mean, because I was the "other" guy once...ONCE ( I was a stupid "immortal" kid at the time). I did`nt know that the good Lord made people that large . Needless to say that was the LAST time I intentionally underestimated a potential adversary. I shy away from the vehicular jousting thing, waay too much at stake (wife,kids, the general distaste for jail cells)for a disagreement with a total stranger, just my .02
Old 06-15-2006, 08:13 PM

There was a study recently (shut up with that, you know who you are...!!! ) that said road rage is a Symptom of an individuals style of temper. Some people siimply "lose it" whether at home, at work or where ever. That they lose it while driving is just that they were on the road. Its part of their M.O.
So in short there is a certain number that are road ragers, not because what goes on while in a vehicle is so bad/unmanagable, but because thats their style.

I've almost been in an accident caused by one of these folks, who for what ever reason felt they needed to address some percieved slight, by clipping my truck and then slamming on the brakes at the stop light after they got in front of me. I was pulling a 10,000GVW and let me tell you I almost pushed his truck through that intersection-- but with downshifting and locking up the brakes and puckering my dooky and whatever else I could think of I got it stopped- an honest 3 inches from his rear bumper. To say the least I wanted that mans head about then and was about to hand it to him,

BUT,
if I can keep MY temper, so can you...

Big Jimmy
Old 06-15-2006, 08:24 PM

I just don't understand what could drive someone to shoot and kill someone over a traffic incident. That angers me the most, who kills someone over being cut off or something like that?
Old 06-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Beeram305
I just don't understand what could drive someone to shoot and kill someone over a traffic incident. That angers me the most, who kills someone over being cut off or something like that?
I agree. It ticks me off badly but not anywhere NEAR enough to kill. There are only 2 things in this world that will lead to me killing a person. Threatening my life, and threating my family's. Do either one and I'm prepared to kill or be killed trying.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
I have a little story to share.......

One night I went to a Church program for my little sister in law, well after it was all over I decided to split cuz I'm not a "Church going person" and head home.

So I get right outside of town and stop at the stop sign. I see some headlights WAAAAAAAYYYY down the road so I go ahead and pull out. About a minute later I get this dude flying up on my butt and turns on his High beams. I couldn't figure out what this dudes problem was, so I just kept on driving. Well obviously this jerk wanted to get my attention so he started flashing his lights at me, so I somewhat pulled over as far as I could showing that he could pass, so then he flies around me and cuts me off

Meanwhile I'm trying not to lose my cool and chase after him, but I kept it and I thought everything was all done and over with................WRONG!!! About 5 miles down the road from where he passed me is the main highway ( this was on a backroad outta town ) and there is a stop light. Well coming up to the stop light I end up right behind the guy.......who decides he wants to jump out of his Chevy with his tire iron

Ok well now it's on because I took this as a threat to me and I wasn't gonna give him a chance to beat the crap out of my truck let alone me. So I rip of my jacket and jump out of my truck.......( I'm a big dude....and even bigger then....6'4 230 pounds and spent all free time in the gym ). Well ol' home boy about poops himself when he see's me and runs back to his truck and slams the door. Well at this point I'm running towards his truck while he is trying to take off.........I get to the door and punched his window as hard as I could shattering it..........the light turns green and the cars move and off he goes like a bat outta hell.......dang coward!!!!

Granted I should not have done that, but I felt threatend and needed to show that guy that some people WILL defend themselves!!! And luckily I didn't break my hand, but it sure hurt like a son of a gun for a few weeks after that

~Nick
While this makes for a very entertaining story to tell you are fortunate that the outcome turned out as well as it did. In this day when everyone seems to be packing, legally or otherwise, the story could have ended much differently. The dude when he hightailed it back to his car could be running because he is a coward AND also going back to get his "equalizer" against the big dude. He could have had a gun stashed under the seat or in a door pocket and the minute you punched out his window he could have fired point blank and he would be telling the police a much different version with his own uncontested spin of what transpired : "Officer I don't know what this guys problem was...I simply passed this guy and he bright-lighted me as I went past like he didn't want to be passed. I kept on going and I ended up stopped at a red light and this big dude jumps out of his truck and proceeds to come after me. I had no other choice but to defend myself as you can clearly see he tried to come though my window." Of course you would not be around to set the record straight and could be lying there on the pavement "dead right" as he shows the officer all the glass in his car where you tried to punch his lights out!

Since he already pulled out a tire iron as a weapon and came at you with it, he probably would'nt have had any qualms about using a gun. Also, at that point when he retreated and you pursued him to back to his car you became the aggressor. I recall while taking a NRA Personal Gun Safety Course a Deputy Sheriff informed us that if another person breaks off their agression towards you and you fail to do the same, you in all likelyhood will end being viewed as the aggressor under the eyes of the law. You could end up being the one going off to jail no matter how it started! Also, remember to own a gun or have a CCW does not mean an individual passed a psychological test. Just means he hasn't gotten into any criminal trouble in the past and took some CCW class to get a permit and paid a small fee, that is if he even has a CCW. There is always that "one in a thousand" gun toting road rage prone person out there that just might lose it and cross the line in a fit of rage and use a gun.

Anyway, glad you lucked out and this idiot didn't pull a gun on you and you are here to tell the story! I bet that guy still has a permanent stain in his car seat
Old 06-16-2006, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by XZILR8N
when he hightailed it back to his car could be running because he is a coward AND also going back to get his "equalizer" you would not be around to set the record straight and could be lying there on the pavement "dead right" as he shows the officer all the glass in his car where you tried to punch his lights out!
Exactly. As soon as you step out and go over to that other vehicle you are setting yourself up.

Self control is freedom. It is also power.

The life you save may be your own.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by big jimmy
Exactly. As soon as you step out and go over to that other vehicle you are setting yourself up.

Self control is freedom. It is also power.

The life you save may be your own.

That is a good point, but the only reason I did what I did was because I knew he was trying to get away not retaliate any further..........the amount of time between when he got in a shut his door....to the time I punched out his window...was a maybe 2 to 3 seconds!! When I got out of my truck he was by my front bumper and his truck was probably 3-4 car lengths in front of me...........so once he turned to run I was right on his butt back to his truck. He had enough time to slam the door and throw her in drive and THAT'S IT!!! Now if he were to just open his door and lean in the truck........I would have been the one running for my life!!

Trust me I never doubted for one second the possibility that he could have a gun.......if the situation had been different then I WOULD NOT have done that. Just from the way the guy acted I knew that he realized that he screwed up and was just trying to get out of there before I beat him into a bloody pulp!!!

I'm not saying what I did was the least bit smart......or right, but hopefully I gave that dude something to think about the next time he thinks about doing that again. What if he were to do that to some young kid who couldn't defend himself.........he's gonna get beat down by some old dude because nobody stood up to him. Now today there is no way I would do something like that again, I have to much at stake to risk anything..........

~Nick
Old 06-16-2006, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Racer9
As a trucker, I see this kind of stuff nearly everyday. I can't count the times someone has pulled out in front of me only to stop for a left turn 2 blocks away, causing me to stomp on the brakes twice. Or passed me before turning. I could go on and on, but I won't. Anger breeds anger. Most of these people have no control over their lives anywhere but behind the wheel.
I have developed an attitude where I won't let those a-holes ruin my day. I now expect every motorist to do the stupidest manuever possible, and prepare for it. It's actually become a game for me, trying to outguess the morons. It's all about attitude, don't let them get to you, LAUGH at them instead. It's a much better way of releasing the tension.
Thats the best advice yet. I do this every day. Morons are very predictable in this town so I just have fun with them. Some of them are so rude I can't help but try to antagonize them further Oh well, I can always annoy them more than they annoy me
Old 06-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Mrs. missin on a mission & keeper of the can

Well I don't know about laughing at them either.I think it gets worse everyday. I live in Indiana about 5min. from Kentucky and you have people getting shot for less stuff than this. It is ridiculous! They have drive byes and these children are getting shot for no reason because they happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.Come on. Their are alot of people in this world that take life for granted, then their are people that try everything in their power to make it in this world,then you have people that don't care about anything or anyone including themselves. just my .02 Cin
Old 06-16-2006, 11:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I am so used to it I just call them a moron under my breath and shake my head. They aren't worth my time. No one wants to be responsible for their own actions these days. They always want to blame someone else. Not themselves. I have had several sports cars and people just kill me. They will pull up beside you and want to race. I just give them the "Your an idiot look" and keep driving normal. They eventually get the picture and will leave you alone.

Driving my 1975 Datsun 280z with a 1983 turbo motor stuffed in it one night late. Crusing along at 65 mph and pass a Ford Mustang. Next thing I know is he is own my butt. Give it a little gas and he is still right on my bumper. He was blinding me with his lights. I was going around this fairly sharp curve. I new I had to slow down. I was going about 80mph and new it was sharp so I tapped the brake in the curve. I think the guy liked to of crapped on himself in that Mustang. He backed off and I was able to slow down without having his frontend in the car with me. I just wanted to get away from the situation. I have had so many situations like this I could full up this thread and they are not really funny. I am to the point now that I just let them go any way possible. If I had to slow down to 45 MPH to let them go around that is what I do. Kinda glad I have my truck. Don't have to deal with people like this. I still have the 280z. People are just crazy these days. Don't even care about themselves much less another person. This isn't new. Been going on for years. The Mustang incident happened to me over 10 years ago.