Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

road rage (sorry it's long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guns aren't the only road rage weapon of choice. I had a nieghbor who was attacked with a hammer by some guy(nut) in traffic while sitting in his car. My favorite part of the morning is giving the car riding my bumper thru the toll booth the smoker .
Old 06-13-2006, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my line of work, most of my time is spent on the road. Most people slow down and or change lanes when they see me. During my time off, if I have a problem, I just hold up the badge in my wallet and they always calm down. I do, however, always carry an off duty weapon but would be very, very hesitant to show it unless I was completely in fear of my own life or that of someone else. To anyone else on here that carries a weapon in their vehicle, never, ever brandish your firearm. If you do, you WILL go to jail. If you do take out your firearm, you better intend to use it and have a justifiable need for it, otherwise, leave it at home.
A word of advice if ever stopped for a vehicle code violation, or any other reason for that matter, there is no need for you to have your Drivers License, Registration and proof of insurance ready when the officer gets to your vehicle. Just pull over to the side of the road or better yet, off the highway completely. Turn the vehicle off and leave your hands on top of the steering wheel. I can't tell you how many times I've had to approach a vehicle with my 9mm in my hand and behind my hip just because someone is routing around under their seat, in there Glovebox of center console to get the necessary documents. It's very unnerving when you don't know what to expect in that situation. I don't want to ever make that type of mistake. If it's just a speed violation and within reason, 9 times out of 10 I let people off with a warning as long as they don't have an attitude.
In the situations described above, if at all possible, avoid any type of communication with the other driver. Make note of the vehicle type and plate number and call the law if necessary. Let us take care the problem of the careless, erratic driver.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Guns don't kill people.
People don't kill people.
ATTITUDES kill people.
You forgot that stupidity kills people, often themselves.

I wonder how many people's last words were "hey, watch this."
Old 06-14-2006, 07:24 PM

The morons that cruise just below the speed limit in the PASSING LANE alongside other cars is what yanks my chain. But for the last few years I have refused to allow myself to engage in any highway hijinks. It's not worth it guys. You get all mad and your adrenaline starts pumping and it ruins YOUR day........ Not theirs.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:50 PM

road rage

aint never been there but you people are scaring the h$$$ out of me. makes me want to stay home all the time. one thing to be sure if the perp has a weapon he had better know how to use it. i will run if possible but??????????
Old 06-14-2006, 08:19 PM

Coming home from school one day(about 8:30pm) I came up on this Taurus(funny aint it), I was doing about 50-55(limit 50mph) I had the top doing in the car and had the cruising music blasting. This tuarus was doing probably no more the 30mph,I put on my blinker to past and as I was passing I could here is car downshift and he got ahead of me I backed off since there was a logging truck coming. About a 1/4 mile down the road I went to pass him again and I turned the radio down and as I passed he was like look at that piece of crap Chevy, I yelled yea but I got a v6, I dropped the trans down a gear and jumped on the throttle since he was trying to pull ahead of me again, I chirped the tires and pulled ahead of him and got in fornt of him. All I saw in my rear view was him giving me the finger.

People up here will also fly by you about 75 yds from where they are turning and then they slam on the brakes to turn.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by adykstra
A word of advice if ever stopped for a vehicle code violation, or any other reason for that matter, there is no need for you to have your Drivers License, Registration and proof of insurance ready when the officer gets to your vehicle. Just pull over to the side of the road or better yet, off the highway completely. Turn the vehicle off and leave your hands on top of the steering wheel. I can't tell you how many times I've had to approach a vehicle with my 9mm in my hand and behind my hip just because someone is routing around under their seat, in there Glovebox of center console to get the necessary documents. It's very unnerving when you don't know what to expect in that situation. I don't want to ever make that type of mistake. If it's just a speed violation and within reason, 9 times out of 10 I let people off with a warning as long as they don't have an attitude.
Ditto.

I'll add:
If you do have a CCW firearm in the vehicle,
keep your hands on the steering wheel while you let the officer know where said firearm currently resides.

I don't think I've gotten anything more than a polite warning since I've had my CCW,
as I've always done all the above and the officer always appreciates it.

phox
Old 06-14-2006, 08:38 PM

It happens more often than you think. My supervisor is in Alabama and was telling me about 2 women who got into it and one of them stopped on a get on ramp and when the other stopped, she shot and killed her then drove away.
Originally Posted by loid mongol
The morons that cruise just below the speed limit in the PASSING LANE alongside other cars is what yanks my chain. But for the last few years I have refused to allow myself to engage in any highway hijinks. It's not worth it guys. You get all mad and your adrenaline starts pumping and it ruins YOUR day........ Not theirs.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:01 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
As I read so many of these posts I saw a recurring theme. The theme is that somebody got upset with being passed or something and then you guys have to smoke them or pass them good or something else to prove your manhood.

This is plain stupid folks. Anything you do in retaliation turns the situation into a mutual fight which in the eyes of the law makes you both equally guilty, and you are.

The only proper response to discourteousness on the road is to do nothing to escallate the situation and to get away from it as soon as possible. A CCW is for SELF DEFENSE ONLY. It's not for showing the other guy you're armed. (I want him to be surprised by that fact BTW.)

A real man doesn't put his life or the lives of his wife or children in danger by playing the game of one-upsmanship. A real man does everything he can to keep his loved ones from danger by exiting the situation whenever possible but giving his own life in defense when necessary.

By running away from these situations you are NOT being cowardly in the least. It's called good judgement to refrain from doing silly stuff that can get you or your loved one seriously hurt or killed. It takes more real courage to run from a fight than "saving face" can get somebody you love hurt or killed. Don't be suckered into the macho games.

Revenge has it's place as a deterrent to prevent future attacks and if you seriously think that engaging in a fight with some idiot will prevent future attacks then you'd better be prepared to take a life and suffer the consequences. Most of us are faced with such a choice almost never so the correct thing to do is to run away from confrontations of this sort, always. If the idiot comes at you or chases you only then is it time to haul out the CCW weapons if you can't get away. If you're forced to shoot, shoot to eliminate the threat as many times as necessary.

Edwin
Old 06-14-2006, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by loid mongol
The morons that cruise just below the speed limit in the PASSING LANE alongside other cars is what yanks my chain.

I agree 100%. Do people not realize left lanes are for passing not crusieing? Why don't these people get ticketed? Its simple, drive in the right lane move to the left when you need to pass a slower car.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tmoore
I agree 100%. Do people not realize left lanes are for passing not crusieing? Why don't these people get ticketed? Its simple, drive in the right lane move to the left when you need to pass a slower car.
Well, that works until 5 million cars get crammed into one mile-long stretch of five-lane freeway. Then, it's every man for himself, road rage is just part of the game and traffic laws are utterly voided.

Rush Hour on the 91 anymore is like a bad version of Mad Max 2... Cops for the most part just stay out of it because they know that they just slow traffic down even worse.

Which is another thing. Anybody else get annoyed how, whenever there's a cop on the road, everybody decides to become "perfect-driver-man"? What I've always been told is that if you're driving the speed limit, then you're likely to be pulled over because it looks like you're trying not to get pulled over... I can imagine that cops themselves find it annoying that whenever they get behind somebody that somebody feels like they have to drive 10 miles below the speedlimit...
Old 06-15-2006, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
As I read so many of these posts I saw a recurring theme. The theme is that somebody got upset with being passed or something and then you guys have to smoke them or pass them good or something else to prove your manhood.

This is plain stupid folks. Anything you do in retaliation turns the situation into a mutual fight which in the eyes of the law makes you both equally guilty, and you are.

The only proper response to discourteousness on the road is to do nothing to escallate the situation and to get away from it as soon as possible. A CCW is for SELF DEFENSE ONLY. It's not for showing the other guy you're armed. (I want him to be surprised by that fact BTW.)

A real man doesn't put his life or the lives of his wife or children in danger by playing the game of one-upsmanship. A real man does everything he can to keep his loved ones from danger by exiting the situation whenever possible but giving his own life in defense when necessary.

By running away from these situations you are NOT being cowardly in the least. It's called good judgement to refrain from doing silly stuff that can get you or your loved one seriously hurt or killed. It takes more real courage to run from a fight than "saving face" can get somebody you love hurt or killed. Don't be suckered into the macho games.

Revenge has it's place as a deterrent to prevent future attacks and if you seriously think that engaging in a fight with some idiot will prevent future attacks then you'd better be prepared to take a life and suffer the consequences. Most of us are faced with such a choice almost never so the correct thing to do is to run away from confrontations of this sort, always. If the idiot comes at you or chases you only then is it time to haul out the CCW weapons if you can't get away. If you're forced to shoot, shoot to eliminate the threat as many times as necessary.

Edwin
Edwin - Such good words to LIVE by!

There have been times when I almost got suckered into silly road rage incidents usually instigated by bad or immature drivers. I take a deep breath and ask myself is this really worth it? I back off and don't engage (don't enrage) these idiots and everytime I go away knowing I am the one now in control of the situation. There is certainly nothing I need to prove to anyone, especially myself!
Old 06-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Banned

I have a little story to share.......

One night I went to a Church program for my little sister in law, well after it was all over I decided to split cuz I'm not a "Church going person" and head home.

So I get right outside of town and stop at the stop sign. I see some headlights WAAAAAAAYYYY down the road so I go ahead and pull out. About a minute later I get this dude flying up on my butt and turns on his High beams. I couldn't figure out what this dudes problem was, so I just kept on driving. Well obviously this jerk wanted to get my attention so he started flashing his lights at me, so I somewhat pulled over as far as I could showing that he could pass, so then he flies around me and cuts me off

Meanwhile I'm trying not to lose my cool and chase after him, but I kept it and I thought everything was all done and over with................WRONG!!! About 5 miles down the road from where he passed me is the main highway ( this was on a backroad outta town ) and there is a stop light. Well coming up to the stop light I end up right behind the guy.......who decides he wants to jump out of his Chevy with his tire iron

Ok well now it's on because I took this as a threat to me and I wasn't gonna give him a chance to beat the crap out of my truck let alone me. So I rip of my jacket and jump out of my truck.......( I'm a big dude....and even bigger then....6'4 230 pounds and spent all free time in the gym ). Well ol' home boy about poops himself when he see's me and runs back to his truck and slams the door. Well at this point I'm running towards his truck while he is trying to take off.........I get to the door and punched his window as hard as I could shattering it..........the light turns green and the cars move and off he goes like a bat outta hell.......dang coward!!!!

Granted I should not have done that, but I felt threatend and needed to show that guy that some people WILL defend themselves!!! And luckily I didn't break my hand, but it sure hurt like a son of a gun for a few weeks after that

~Nick
Old 06-15-2006, 05:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like he should have taken a better look at who he was waiting on. Nothing like trying to be the big man, then having to turn tail and run because the other guy turns out to be bigger.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Banned

Dude the look on his face was PRICELESS!!! If I wouldn't have been so freakin mad I would have busted up laughing!!!

Funny thing too was this guy was probably in his late 40's early 50's

~Nick

Quick Reply: road rage (sorry it's long)