Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Ripped off on ebay...is there anything I can do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ripped off on ebay...is there anything I can do?

I bought a cummins engine on ebay from a guy who had tons of positive feedback a few months ago. In the auction he stated that the engine was running when removed and when I called him to ask about it in more detail, he said it was removed because the truck was wrecked.
Fast forwrd to today. Me and a friend starting pulling it apart and noticed a broken valve spring on #6. Started digging deeper and the piston is destroyed along with the head. Later my friend drained the oil and it's mostly antifreeze.
I sent the guy an email saying this was not a running take off and what is he going to do about it. His response was "you could of inspected it before you bought." Nobody could off seen the piston damage without tearing it down.
I have a feeling there isnt, but is there anything kind of action I can do to get something back? Does ebay help when fraud is involved? I have a stinking suspicion that I'm screwed. Any helpful feedback would be appreicated.

Cody
Old 09-23-2007, 11:41 AM

How did you pay for it?

And yes, ebay has a process for fraud claims.

Make sure you keep a copy of all correspondence and of the auction listing itself.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
If you don't inspect before you buy, you are out of luck. Just think, you could have pulled the dipstick and seen the antifreeze....Sorry for your trouble but this is why buying a pig in a poke is a bad idea.

That engine may have been running when they pulled it out, amazing how much damge they can sustain and continue to run. So he may not have represented it as something it isn't.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:54 AM

E-Bay may help but if you didn't pay with PayPal then the most you will get out of them is $200 less their admin fees. If you used PayPal then file a claim with them. If you paid by CC then file a claim with them.
It is fraud if he sold you a junk motor when his ad claimed it was running fine...
Old 09-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Banned

yeah um sorry about that...it was nice talking to you though!

brett

haha totally kidding!! thats a bad deal...how much cabbage will it take to get it right? new piston, valve springs, head gasket...what else needs fixing?
Old 09-23-2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
If you don't inspect before you buy, you are out of luck. Just think, you could have pulled the dipstick and seen the antifreeze....Sorry for your trouble but this is why buying a pig in a poke is a bad idea.

That engine may have been running when they pulled it out, amazing how much damge they can sustain and continue to run. So he may not have represented it as something it isn't.
Thanks for the feedback Lary. There was no way this engine ran...I also forgot about the damage to the p7100 injection pump. He did mention damage to the engine that occured while placing it on a pallet (which I was more than fine with). I've had great luck on ebay until now. Just goes to show...you can't even trust the people who have positive feedback!
Old 09-23-2007, 12:21 PM

If it's less than 90 days since the auction ended, you can leave negative feedback. I know it's not much, but it might help the next guy.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:21 PM

How did you pay for it? That will determine weather you're screwed or not.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:23 PM

I beleive PayPal only gives you 28 days or sumthin' stupid like that to file a claim.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
If you don't inspect before you buy, you are out of luck.
Not completely true unless there is something explicitly stated in his auctions saying he is not responsible for a false representation of his produc

If the item is not as described ebay CAN help, I bought a motorcycle jacket on there about three years ago, it was used, and there was no picture but I asked for the exact color combo(so it would match my bike) and the colors weren't exactly as described so I got my money back but had to bite it on the shipping charges to ship the item back.

Go into the help list, then security and resolution center and from there you can find the way to report a fraudulent listing under item not as described...Best of luck!
Old 09-23-2007, 10:08 PM

I'd give it my best shot with their reconcilliation stuff, what have you got to loose?? You already did loose, so maybe it will be a gain. Keep ALL your paperwork and correspondence, get an estimate together as to what it will take to get it in the stated condition. They may award you your repair costs. Had a friend who went through the same stuff with an ebay purchase. HE paid via a Postal Money Order. It then became MAIL FRAUD. The guy on the other end settled up REAL FAST to avoid the mail fraud charges.

CD