Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Return on investment of home improvements?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmay2
Thanks for the tip! I read its about 30-40% more expensive, so ill have to do some digging and see how much more attractive it really makes it to the buyers.
You may want to call a local realtor and simply ask them how things like siding and fencing upgrades effect the value of a house in your area.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:42 PM

You asked about the wall to wall carpet in bedrooms tile the rest. That is a preferance. I would prefer tile kitchen, bath, utility then hardwood halls living. any in dining. If it is done right it will look good no matter what you choose. My great uncle had his own tile company for 30yrs and his whole house is tile except the master bedroom. I personally don't like it and think it is overkill. I'm a wood guy myself.

I don't like siding, but if I had too not vynal(sp?) or aluminum. As far as ablock fence it is REALLY expensive. My gradparents had just the back section walled and it cost $5k. And that was at least 10 years ago. Nice wood fence with a cement curb and a flat top looks nice as well.

Have fun. Enclosing the carport might get more just because some people prefer a garage instead of a port. Good luck.

P.S. If you decide to do tile, buy a wet saw don't rent. My dad and gandpa prolly rented one for $150 at least 5 times. They split the cost of one and have used it at least 10 times and only paid $250~300 for it.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by graphitecumnz
You may want to call a local realtor and simply ask them how things like siding and fencing upgrades effect the value of a house in your area.
Good advice! I have him coming out to check the current condition to give his advice on if its worht doing so compared to other local sales etc.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
You asked about the wall to wall carpet in bedrooms tile the rest. That is a preferance. I would prefer tile kitchen, bath, utility then hardwood halls living. any in dining. If it is done right it will look good no matter what you choose. My great uncle had his own tile company for 30yrs and his whole house is tile except the master bedroom. I personally don't like it and think it is overkill. I'm a wood guy myself.

I don't like siding, but if I had too not vynal(sp?) or aluminum. As far as ablock fence it is REALLY expensive. My gradparents had just the back section walled and it cost $5k. And that was at least 10 years ago. Nice wood fence with a cement curb and a flat top looks nice as well.

Have fun. Enclosing the carport might get more just because some people prefer a garage instead of a port. Good luck.

P.S. If you decide to do tile, buy a wet saw don't rent. My dad and gandpa prolly rented one for $150 at least 5 times. They split the cost of one and have used it at least 10 times and only paid $250~300 for it.
Thanks for the input! Why do you say "but if I had too not vynal(sp?) or aluminum" you wouldnt do either?

One reason for block fences in AZ is termites are a problem, and block fences make the home alot more appealing knowin theres less chance of wood bugs chewin em down.

I personally like the wood fences myself, Definetly when i move to oregon itll be a nice wood fence there, always liked Cedar.

Does anyone know aprox how much it would run to enclose a carport? All i would need is a 15' exterior wall, framing for the garage door built on the corners.. I can do the inside stuff myself, basics like insulation etc.

Considering its just putting 2x4's up inside sorta an existing frame, and then shooting some nails down into the concrete slab, could i do it myself?
Old 05-24-2006, 05:14 PM

Im with on the tile everywhere.. Im a hardwood fan and would only go for carpet in the bedrooms and maybe a living/family room.. but not everywhere! too many echos