Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Return on investment of home improvements?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Return on investment of home improvements?

Was wondering if anyone has experience with what these can do for the value of a house;

replacing wood fencing with block fencing
replacing wood siding with vinyl or aluminum siding

my wood fence is falling apart and siding is looking pretty ratty. I plan on selling within a year, so im just curious if i take out a equity loan now, if i will see that money i spent back? Not concernede with profiting off it, just want to make sure if i spend the $ to fix these if i will get it back.

Im guessing yes, as new siding and block fence would only come up to maybe ~$10,000? its a 7,500 sq ft lot and house is only about 1,200 sq ft,

Suggestions?
Old 05-23-2006, 04:20 PM

You won't get it all back. It may only be about 50-75%. There are some home web sights that will give you fairly accurate percentages on ROI for home improvements. I can't think of one off hand but I have sen this many times over the years. I think that bathrooms and kitchens get you the highest % return.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:17 PM

Yes i know the kitchen and baths get the highest... My concern though is the current condition the siding and fencing is in will take away from the average value of the house to begin with, does that make sense?

Anyone know a range for block fence prices? Ive seen some places quote $100/linear foot.. this cant be right? A small home would cost $20k to have a block backyard fence???
Old 05-23-2006, 06:12 PM

Forget about the fence and put siding on the house if you plan on selling.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:24 PM

Definitely replace the siding... but go with a neutral color so it's easier to sell... don't want some strange color that will turn potential buyers away.

I'd probably nix the block fence idea. What do the other folks in your area have for fencing?? If you really want to replace the fence I'd stick with what the other folks around have. If you're "sold" on block wall, why not do precast concrete?? Other than cost which would be prohibitive...

http://www.designerconcrete.com/homeowner.htm
Old 05-23-2006, 06:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Jimmy
Forget about the fence and put siding on the house if you plan on selling.
Good advice. Take the old one down, clean it up, and call it a day.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:23 PM

depending on the area a fence will help, in July of 04 my wife and i bought a 1432 sqft 4 bedroom 2 bath brick house in hinesvile ga for $66500 and put up a wood fence, small shed, painted inside, new carpet in the bedrooms, wood flooring in the living room and hallway and ceramic tile in the kitchen, did all the work ourselves and just sold the house in march 06 for $99000.

not a bad turn around for such minor work.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:44 PM

In doing some tile work in my house cause i can probly get another 30 k out of it when we sell in about a year.My neighbor just sold the house next door for 180k the guy that bought the house did some tile work and landscaping sold it 2 months later for 220k . I think a simple invetment it would help you out greatly. When i bought the house 5years ago it cost 90, know with a little investment of probley 5k ill more than double the price. so i would do it. look around your area and see what the houses are selling for comparred to what your is worth.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:54 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

The best ROI is to buy, repaint, cover up any visible problems you can get a break on the house with and resell quickly.
This works best if you have a realtor that will only charge 3% instead of the standard 6%
Old 05-23-2006, 09:04 PM

Right now one neighbor is considering block fence, the other already has two walls block so my side is the final side to finish their backyard off.

Im sure the neighbors on each side of me would go halfs, but the ones behind me i dont think would.

Sounds good on the siding, ill get some more prices on it.

Those that did Tile, did you follow the guidline of "wall to wall carpeting in bedrooms, tile everywhere else" ??

Thanks for the input!
Old 05-23-2006, 09:06 PM

Im not looking to make a huge ammount / turn the property, just want to see if what i do will be worthwhile of my time.

Ive lived here since august 04, so coming up on 2 years. I bought it at 120k, and its estimated value (based on a similar layout house that sold nov. 05), is 190k. Im sure values have gone up since then as well. So ive already made a good chunk just living here.

Just want to see if i pull out some money and do the fence, the siding, maybe update the kitchen a bit (cough cough injectors clutch ranchhand) if i can get it, or at least most of it back on the final sale price.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:22 PM

You should have no problem.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:00 PM

Currently have a 2 car carport taking up the corner of the house (2 walls are the house).. enclosing it wouldnt cost much i think ? A wall about 15 ft long and a garage door, minus 120 sq ft of siding... might as well price out at the same time?
Old 05-23-2006, 11:46 PM
Banned

On the siding you should consider Hardie Plank. It's a cement product, very durable, won't burn, 50 year warranty and it looks really good. Many people consider it a big bonus to have already on a house. I for one HATE vinyl siding, and dislike the alumunim siding almost as much.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by displacedtexan
On the siding you should consider Hardie Plank. It's a cement product, very durable, won't burn, 50 year warranty and it looks really good. Many people consider it a big bonus to have already on a house. I for one HATE vinyl siding, and dislike the alumunim siding almost as much.
Thanks for the tip! I read its about 30-40% more expensive, so ill have to do some digging and see how much more attractive it really makes it to the buyers.

Quick Reply: Return on investment of home improvements?