Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Renting Through Property Manager

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never used one for my property,s. I know people that have and said
by the time managers took out their 10% and maint fee,s there was never
anything left.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a 4 unit rental that is my "primary residence". I "lived" there while I fixed the place up for a couple weeks, and ever since have been renting it out. I'm not advocating you do this, but I imagine as long as you make your payments on time, the lender won't ever know it's not a primary residence and won't care.

I'm paying my property manager 10% and it's the only way I can do it since I'm 2500 miles away. She is terrible at communication and slow at getting estimates and projects done. However, she does a good job keeping the place occupied, collecting rent, handling deposits, scheduling minor repairs, keeping the property landscaped, adjusting rents based on the market...

Last month I grossed $1415 and netted $1116 after fees/maintenance. After paying mortgage and insurance, I'm looking at $550 net profit. (yes, I'm a slumlord)

My experience has been positive, and I plan to make another purchase soon. First find out how much you could rent the place out for, and then run the numbers to make sure it covers all expenses.