Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Removing badges?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing badges?

Last night, while I was standing by my truck at a friends shop, some PSD owner backed into my drivers side door. It left a nice big crease in the bottomof the door and a nice scratch in the top. The door will probably have to be replaced. The guy is paying cash (to much of a hassle for insurance). And I was wondering what yall think about having them take off the RAM 2500 badges on the door. I think it would like kinda neat. The only way I'd do this is if the shop will do it without much of a hassle. I was also going to see if they would take off the black vinyl decal on the doors at the same time. If they want extra money to do the other door(like $100), then I'm not going to do it. But if they don't mind doing it for maybe $30 or so, then I was going to do it. But first I thought I'd come and check it out with yall and get yall's opinion on it.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:52 AM

Re:Removing badges?

If they are charging $100 to remove a badge your better off NOT letting them do it. Do it yourself......get a hairdryer. Taking them off is a piece of cake its sticking the new ones on that bothers me.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:04 AM
Banned

I'm not putting any badges back on. Just the black strip going down the side with a blue door. No badges. I tried using a hair dryer to remove the black vinyl decal on the door, but it was going to take forever to get it off. And then I don't know how I'm going to get all of the residue off. What should I use to peel the badges off? Get something behind them and pry them off? Any recommendations on removing the black decals on the door with a hair dryer? I had mine on high and hot and sat there for a while and it never really started coming off. I even let it sit in the direct sunlight for an hour to try and help. Any suggestions?<br><br>A suggestion on putting new graphics on, use soap and water to put it on. The soap allows the decal to slide around a little bit, allowing for some fine adjustment.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:30 AM
DPG

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges. ;D
Old 11-14-2002, 08:37 PM

I don't know what to tell you. Your truck is the same year as mine. Must be the Houston sun has baked your vinyl real hard. I used a hair dryer on high for a few minutes in one spot near the edge, lifted the edge of the vinyl and then moved the dryer along the tape and lifting off at the same time. Came right off. As to removing the glue, etc. I used DuPont Surface Prep. It's something car painters use to get the crud off the paint jobs before more painting. <br><br>Dave
Old 11-14-2002, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealer I got mine at adds their name in vinyl right under the Dodge on the tailgate.<br><br>I just picked at it each time I was outside smokin (don't smoke in the house or in the truck ;D) took a 3-4 days but it came off, a letter at a time.<br>Spritz of WD40 on the residue and it wiped right off.<br><br>For the door badges, a little hairdrier, a little fishing line behind them, and they should fall off as well (so I've heard)<br><br>phox
Old 11-15-2002, 10:29 AM
Banned

So to get the vinyl decals off, use a hair dryer on high for a few minutes in the corner and lift up slowly and work your way up. As for the badges, heat up with a hairdryer, use a piece of fishing line to slip in behind it and just be patient. And to get the residue off, some WD-40 or similar silicone product. Thanks yall. I'm taking the truck Sat. to West Side Paint and Body to get an estimate from them (may also start designing some graphics for the truck ) and then Mon. Im' taking it to Dodge and getting an estimate from them. I'll probably just end up going to Dodge but I want a couple of estimates. Only problem is the closest dealer is the one that I yelled at for the FP gauge problem so I'm a little reluctant to take it back to them. If anyone in Houston knows of a good dealership, let me know. Thanks yall.