Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Rear-ended by Semi!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 08:22 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear-ended by Semi!

...at a full stop on the freeway, semi with a trailer and a pup nailed full of concrete NAILED me - $3900 worth of damage, a screamin' neck and headache -
- there is apparently some frame damage at the rear, the shop guy said that it was easily fixable (with the caveat that this prognosis may change when they get the box off - the box is tweaked about .2" out-of-fair with the cab).

Does "fixing" sound a bit hokey to you guys?

The truck held up a lot better than I thought it would - guess "Ram Tough" is more than just an advertising motto?

Check the pics in my gallery.....
Old 09-18-2004, 11:41 AM

sounds like ya got "rammed in the dodge ram" Good thing you still ambulatory.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Banned

sound like your lucky to be alive

I always thought if the frame was bent or damaged in any way it was concidered totaled.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:57 AM

I would fight for a new truck. They can repair it but will it be the same? We had a Jeep that my wife rolled over about 3 times. Insurance made us repair it. Never was the same . Sold it back to the dealer at a big loss. Just my opinion.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:20 PM

Mine was tagged by a semi back in '99. I stopped at the light, he didn't. Truck came out pretty good (2500 bucks worth of damage) with mostly cosmetic damage. If the frame is bent behind the rear wheels, it shouldn't be that much of a problem to fix.
Old 09-18-2004, 06:04 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Hard to tell from the pic, but like TomW said if it's all behind the rear wheels no big deal. It looks like it was a pretty square hit, does the truck still drive straight? If so the frame damage isn't going to be a problem, as long as they do a good job matching the paint (or preferably repainting the whole box) it will be good as new. I hope your neck gets fixed better than the truck, my grandfather was in bad accident in '74 and had trouble with his neck and back for the rest of his life.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:11 PM
Banned

That's a lot better than I thought it was gonna be. Your lucky man.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:26 PM

Rauschbo,

I had a "92 4X4 CTD rear-ended by a Freightliner going 30-40 MPH faster than I was. He hit me square in the rear. The impact propelled me down the highway a couple of hundred feet. Both seatbacks were broken and my wife & I were laying flat on our back as the truck shot down the highway. I suffered no injuries but my wife had neck problems for months.

Suprisingly, there was no sheetmetal damage but the bumper, class 4 hitch were destroyed. The frame was badly damaged. The bed, though undamaged, sat at a precarious angle on the frame. The shop straightened the frame, replaced the drive shaft, replaced the bumper, hitch and fixed the seatbacks.

Any lesser vehicle would have been totaled! I continued to drive the truck another 100,000 miles with no problem and the truck is still in service with the second owner.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:25 AM
Chapter President

Ram Tough!

Sounds like I'm not the only one who will never again drive a small Rice Rocket to save a few bucks on fuel!

It does appear that all the frame damage is behind the rear wheels - they will not be able to confirm this until they get the bed off...

It seems to drive straight, but the bed is tweaked out of alignment; The truck was - but for a few dings and nicks - almost perfect, body-wise.

The estimate on the paint is WAY low, sounds like he wants to do a rather minimal job - can I force a re-paint on the box?

Note: I was reading 3/4 of a tank when hit - now I have 7/8! How do I fix THIS little issue?!?
Old 09-20-2004, 10:41 AM

That's nothin......

I got rear ended by a 1/2 ton Ram while I was at a dead stop, he was doing about 35-40. Dented the tailgate, caved in the bed under the RR tail light, busted the tail light, and ripped my class 4 receiver out of the frame. Also trashed the rear bumper (obviously). He also knocked me into a Toyota Sequoia, pushed the front bumper in about 3/4" and put a slight bow in the hood.

$6600 in damage.....they re-shot the whole bed and front clip. Took it to a good body shop.....the inside of the bed where it was caved in looked as good on the inside as it did on the outside.

They did pull and square the frame too.......it drives as good now as it ever did.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:53 PM
CJ

Make sure you go to the Dr and get checked out just because you feel ok now doesn't mean you won't have problems later. You need to get the neck thing documented
CJ
Old 09-20-2004, 01:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by CJ
Make sure you go to the Dr and get checked out just because you feel ok now doesn't mean you won't have problems later. You need to get the neck thing documented
Definitely get the neck problems documented. I got rear-ended and pushed into another vehicle in '96. After the wreck my neck was a little sore but it went away in a few days. Then in '99 I started getting some extreme headaches and the occasionally blackout. After some x-rays on my neck, we found damage that was pinching nerves and causing all my problems. No documentation about the neck problems from the wreck. Luckily my current insurance picks up the tab for my chiropractor visits now. I go back every 6 weeks or so to keep things loosened up.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:41 PM

DON'T GET THE FRAMED PULLED,get it replaced,if you have to cry and scream about it to you're insurance company.Just my .02
Old 09-22-2004, 10:51 AM

Now mine wasn't hit from the back, but I pulled out in front of a Suburban at an intersection a while back. Hit me in the front passenger side. The frame was bent slightly, they said. Fender, hood, inner fender, various and sundry stuff.

Bottom line, the frame work was excellent. The truck drove better after they were done than it did before! Can't say the same of the Burb, though. The totaled it.

The bottom line is getting yourself checked out good. That pickup can be replaced...you can't.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:01 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there are advantages to a flat-bed! I was hit just behind the cab while stopped by a 2001 Dakota driven by a Speed Racer wannabe in a parking lot. Totaled his truck, pushed his engine through the fire wall, and pushed me sideways about 10 feet.
his: totaled
Mine: $7.30 for a gas cap, and $0.59 for a bolt holding the flatbed in place. No other damage...( other than some flat spots on my tires)..this was in my 84 gasser D350.