Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

A REALLY good reason to keep your driver's license, reg., and insurance REAL handy

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Rednecktastic
I don't disagree with you. I was just saying no reason to be difficult when you get pulled over... Or in life in general to any professional for that matter.

The cop in the situation should have used his interpersonal skills and controlled the situation. The only control he had was the use of his weapon and that isn't a trait of a good cop.
If he had treated me like that I don't know what I would have done which is what kinda scares me personally.
Agreed, it seems everyone wants to lay all the blame on the cop as though the guy didn't cause his own problem by simpling not handing over his License.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:27 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcoleman
""There are to many cases of people dying from being tased to continue to allow power crazed idiots with badges to continue tasing people. They should have to follow the same rules with the tasers as they do with their service revolvers"".
I realize that there have been cases of people dying after getting zapped but almost all had pre existing medical conditions that may have resulted in death if they had gone through a rough physical takedown. Most states require the officers who use a Taser or Pepper Spray to have qualified with it. Qualifying requires that you actually get zapped and sprayed. I have been zapped once by the belt model, once by the M26 and several times by the handheld EID. I didn’t like it but to this day I would rather get zapped than get physically taken down. You get over it quick compared to being slammed. In fact I would rather get zapped over pepper spray. Some people get over OC fast. I don’t.
As far as the rules being the same for EID’s vs revolvers: EID’s are being used to keep Officers from having to use their revolvers and prevent the Officer from getting into a physical confrontation resulting in their weapon getting used against them or innocent bystanders.

Last edited by Bark; 12-13-2007 at 07:33 PM. Reason: quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Best way I've found to avoid getting tazered (or shot) by the reponding LEO.......

When the cop arrives on the scene,......stop doing the stupid stuff that brought him there in the first place.

It's been working for me so far.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Best way I've found to avoid getting tazered (or shot) by the reponding LEO.......

When the cop arrives on the scene,......stop doing the stupid stuff that brought him there in the first place.

It's been working for me so far.
LOL, and if you can run... Run real fast .

The guy I posted on I think page 1 about getting tazed in Austin that I know played baseball for UT and is a specimen of athletic ability and couldn't out run them... Although it took them two tazers to take him down so the cop said in the video. The video is on the local ABC station, I wouldn't feel right posting it though. I think it was in June 06 if anyone wants to look back that far on their site.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:43 PM

Sad thing is if the cop shot the guy with his "service pistol" instead of his Taser I think certain members of this board would still defend this out of control cop.

In the video it is pretty darn evident that the cop was out of line, and his superiors agreed and conducted an internal investigation. The officer in question was suspended.

Even if the kid in the car was trying to stall or just defuse the cops rage either way the officer was way out of line.
Sad thing is it seems like this is happening more often.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Banned

so what happens if you forgot your drivers license at home or dident have proof of insurance

I think alot of the problem is people dont feel safe when a police officer walks to there window, for what ever reason this profession has lost it's respect. It needs to be an honarable well paid respected job, this maybe a stretch but if you hear of a seal or a ranger you know that dude is serious and worked very hard to get to that position, my point is the police need this kindoff respect and it needs to be a diffecult position to obtain.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:10 PM

About 9 years ago the officer in that video was almost killed in the sector I was working at that time. He was off duty/in uniform when he stopped to assist what he thought was a stranded motorist, turned out to be an attempted robbery. Tom ended up in a scuffle with the suspect who overpowered Tom and took control of his handgun. As Tom and the suspect struggled for control of the handgun rounds were fired hitting Tom's personal car and the suspect's vehicle. When Tom knew he was losing the fight he ejected his magazine knowing the S&W he was carrying wouldn't fire it's last round. Probably saved his life.

The suspect escaped, me and other units got him the next night at a nearby apartment complex. Think that changed his perspective on "non compliance" regardless how small it appears to you on the screen in the comfort of your home? A guy that will argue over something as simple as providing a DL is telling you to kick it up a notch. Why doesn't he want to, warrants, armed, dope, or just having a bad day? You are betting your future on the response to the assessed threat. This would have been one of countless uneventful videos had it not been for the non compliance of the guy stopped. Argue the time line and attitudes all you want, won't change that simple fact. In fact I believe Chris Rock even made a paraody of this very scenario, it was called "what not to do to get your a** kicked by the police"

For those in the Austin area the deal 9 years ago happened at the 7-11 Rundberg/Cameron.

My apologies to Jack Thorpe, I told him I would not post here any longer.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Banned

I have been in dangerous situations with people when i dident anticipate it but that doesent mean everyone i approach i am gettin ready for them to attack me.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:24 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JD Dearden
I have been in dangerous situations with people when i dident anticipate it but that doesent mean everyone i approach i am gettin ready for them to attack me.
Are you a police officer?
Old 12-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
Are you a police officer?
you know i am not a police oficer
Old 12-14-2007, 03:29 PM
DTR Founder

Ok, then you probably don't understand that officers SHOULD treat every single contact they make as a potential for officer safety concerns. Some get complacent, and those are usually the ones that get killed. Just because I stop a 70 yr old man who's driving 30, I still consider him just as much of a threat as anyone. Ever see the Texas state trooper get shot and killed by a 72 yr old man with the rifle? You never know. when working, everyone is considered a potential threat.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:34 PM

JD it's starting to sound like the modern day LEO's
want to try, convict, and carry out the sentence on people before it ever gets to the court where it belongs. I think I'll pick up a taser so I can shoot people that talk back to me or give me dirty looks. I mean after-all what's a little thing like due-process or Constitutional rights when you can get by with murder or aggravated assault and just get 3 days suspension for it. What would happen to a normal citizen if he tased someone that hadn't touched or attacked him in an act of violence. I bet it would take a good Lawyer and a bunch of cash to keep you out of jail for starters.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:41 PM
DTR Founder

mcoleman,

You're right about one thing. It does belong in the courts, and that is the whole point being made here. The rest of your post, well, I won't even comment on that.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
Ok, then you probably don't understand that officers SHOULD treat every single contact they make as a potential for officer safety concerns. Some get complacent, and those are usually the ones that get killed. Just because I stop a 70 yr old man who's driving 30, I still consider him just as much of a threat as anyone. Ever see the Texas state trooper get shot and killed by a 72 yr old man with the rifle? You never know. when working, everyone is considered a potential threat.
I do understand this by no means am i sayin that it is easy in fact i believe it would be very diffecult. I have learned from personal experiances myself to just shut up and comply i do this because it is my best interest in my own safety. This can be very easy or it can be very hard that usually depends on the officer and how he treats me, there have been times when an officer has approached me or my vehichle and i did not feel safe at all and other times it was ya know how you doin officer ya i was speeding thanks for reducing it have a nice day.

Quick Reply: A REALLY good reason to keep your driver's license, reg., and insurance REAL handy