Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

RC car truck pull

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 12:16 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
Wish i could afford one

ive seen those little RC cars at the skate parks here, some with monster truck bodies and so forth, they are sweet... as for protecting the sister, couldnt agree with you more, had I a sister, tim sure id be teh same way

Rick

One can be had (2 w/d Nitro) for about $300.00 and another $50.00 in realted parts and Fuel.

I had less than that into mine, got it used from my nephew.
It ran about 45 to 50 mph, I could barely control it at those speeds anyway.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by P.J
One can be had (2 w/d Nitro) for about $300.00 and another $50.00 in realted parts and Fuel.

I had less than that into mine, got it used from my nephew.
It ran about 45 to 50 mph, I could barely control it at those speeds anyway.

I want a 4wd one

now i take it car or truck dont really matter right? Cause u can swap out the body. Im not sure if i want fuel burner or not, id rather have electric for simplicity of just charging a battery pack and playing with it for a while.

Now i also take it you can swap rims, tires and so on and so forth on these things, motors included? Ill be using mine here at the house and probably at the horse pens in the sand (as light at these things are like it matters) Maybe climb some hills with it too...

ech, ill try ebay...

Rick
Old 01-15-2006, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool vid! When I lived in Ohio, I was into R/C racing BIG TIME. My friends and I had a little 3 person R/C race team, and we'd race every Saturday at the indoor track in the basement of the local hobby shop. But, I got out of it for a while when I moved back to California and I'm slowly starting to get back into it now. Its definetly an expensive hobby, but its well worth it!
Old 01-15-2006, 12:44 PM
P.J
Banned

TX,

I hear you on "simplicity", but the elec. ones are a pain too. They only last like 10 minutes on a charge. I guess if you have 3 batteries or so it wouldn't be bad.
You can swap out literaly EVERY part on the things, wear items or just for fun and looks.
I've never had a 4WD, they seem like a pain,(driveshafts and all)
No comparison between the Nitro's and electric ones, I've had both over the years.

For a child (13 and under) theres no question, electric is the only way to fly.

For adults.........
Old 01-15-2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Speaking of RC trucks and trailers, anyone have or seen these before?
http://tamiya.com/english/rc/rcitem/kit/kit56301.htm

MikeyB

Yep, and they are all electric with most of them having 3 speed selectable from the controller transmissions

Eric
Old 01-15-2006, 01:18 PM

I want a 4wd one

now i take it car or truck dont really matter right? Cause u can swap out the body. Im not sure if i want fuel burner or not, id rather have electric for simplicity of just charging a battery pack and playing with it for a while.

Now i also take it you can swap rims, tires and so on and so forth on these things, motors included? Ill be using mine here at the house and probably at the horse pens in the sand (as light at these things are like it matters) Maybe climb some hills with it too...

ech, ill try ebay...

Rick
No, No, No.... They are not all the same at all. Cars are on frames with real short A-arm's, little tires, and no suspension travel/ground clearence, and relatively weak drivetrain parts compared to the trucks. Most trucks have long a-arms, long travel suspenison, a lot have 2 shocks on each corner, and are made to be able to gear them pretty low depending on what you want, and have big tires/wheels, and a lot of ground clearence. Every car/truck is different. They are all purpose built. Hey TX, if you are looking for one, run it by me in a PM before you buy because some are not near as upgradeable as others just because they dont have much aftermarket support. Most of them you can upgrade ANYTHING on, but some dont have much at all. Motors can be upgraded on almost any of them though. As for electric vs nitro... Nitro is expensive. And it never stops. Rebuilds, fuel($20 a gal), they get messy quick, loud,and smokey(thats good though right? ), but they are very fast if you get them tuned right, but every time you run them you have to tune them a little first. Tuning can be a pain, and there is a lot to know about it. The little motors ont hese trucks arent like your weedeater motor; they are VERY finicky, and if you tune them to lean you will burn them up. To rich,a nd they wont have any power,a nd will foul glow plugs. Electrics are very easy to keep up, and run, and relatively cheap. Initial cost will probably be about the same, but from there on out, its cheaper if you ask me. It does suck because the batteries only last about 10 minutes. I have a 2wd electric truck, and it goes about 25mph, and is fun as crap to jump; I just hate charging/changing out batteries all the time. My electric crawler is the best of both worlds. its slow,and very torquey, and the batteries last 30 minutes or more doing what i designed it to do, which is rock crawl. So this is my overall conclusion.

If you can deal with the mess, and extra $ of a nitro; go for it. They are a lot more fun because you can run them much longer; but they can sometimes be headache to start,a nd keep running. If you have the time though, they are the most fun

If you want something very simple, and easy, and cheaper to keep running, electric is the only way to go. They are fun too, its just nice to have a couple charger's, and 3 or 4 batteries so you dont have to stop except to change batteries out.

Sorry for the book guys

Eric
Old 01-15-2006, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eric

i learn alot from u on now RC cars and about the cummins engine.. Ill give u a ring this week sometime for sure... BUT i have no money as it went towards my lasik fund... kinda sucks cleanin out the BOMB account, but hey itll be worth it i hope...

thanks for the advice!

Rick
Old 01-15-2006, 07:05 PM

I murdered 3 airplanes before I gave up on it.......

When I was like 10 I had an electric Peterbilt tractor with a 6-car hauler...That thing was a blast...I also had one of those pull sleds for some other brand of toy....That Peterbilt could pull a stupid amount of weight.....Ah to be young again

http://www.towerhobbies.com/listings/cat-cat-c.html

I'm still looking for a scale 100-foot Tower Ladder Fully remote of course
Old 01-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Banned

I'm still looking for a scale 100-foot Tower Ladder Fully remote of course
http://www.arroyorc.com/bigrig.htm
Old 01-15-2006, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by iker42

Nah...Those are kinda cheesy...I'm thinking something like THIS only bigger and fully remote, no wires....
Old 01-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Banned

ahh...let me look around
Old 01-15-2006, 07:44 PM

I murdered 3 airplanes before I gave up on it.......
I had to do an end of the semester project in a Phsyics of Flight class. I made a model plane than put it in front of a fan and made it fly. It came with a prop and a ruber band, I couldn't think of spending that time making it than winding it up and tossing it away. I was very supprised that it actually flew. I've got a movie of it if someone wants to host it bout 53 seconds.

Coop
Old 01-16-2006, 02:34 AM

Ha me and my dad used to attach trailers to are tucks and challenge eachother to manuver them. My dad had an old 4x4 from radio shack that would pull a stump that I swear we've put 50 lbs of weight behind it and it keeps on chuggin, the low gear on it was the lowest ive ever seen, those gears just howled like crazy.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:32 PM

This is the truck I'm running right now.....http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm It's the MT2 18SS.
the truck itself was around $300, plus another $150 or so for another radio, glow driver, fuel bottle, etc. It'll run 40mph or better the way it's geared, which means on pavement it turns into a little bitty dot pretty quick. My 1/8th scale does about 58 and it's scary fast...but it's also alot more work than my MT2. The little one is alot more fun to bash around the paddock with.

So far I've heaped a tremendous amount of abuse on it, and the only thing I've broked were the super profundo CNC lower arms I put on the front (went back to the plastics, $5/pair) and a stripped spur gear ($5). I did some upgrades too, maybe $40-50 in stuff off e-Bay (stainless hex screw kit, BB steering, aluminum arms).

It starts every time and I've ran as many as 4 tanks in a row (hot fueling) before I got bored with it and ran it dry. The trick is to let the 16 year old kid at the hobby shop run it in and tune it for you....I haven't had to touch it since.

They're hella fun to tinker with too....
Old 01-16-2006, 09:33 PM

Eric

i learn alot from u on now RC cars and about the cummins engine.. Ill give u a ring this week sometime for sure... BUT i have no money as it went towards my lasik fund... kinda sucks cleanin out the BOMB account, but hey itll be worth it i hope...

thanks for the advice!

Rick
Allright. Try not to call till 12:00 or later my time. It wont hurt if you do call earlier, but i wont be able to answer it if im still in school. Better off to get your eyes fixed anyway. It will be something that benifits you all your life.
C ya

Eric