Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Rattlesnake Bites

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It really does work,sounds weird maybe,but works.It couldn't hurt anyworse than getting some fangs jammed into you.We have all been hit with a spark plug before,it's not that bad.But really its a good thing to remember if you ever need too.It might save their life.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:06 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by caleb c.
We have had a few of our dogs bit by rattlesnakes in the last few years.The trick we use is to shock them around the snake bite,just hook up a wire under the sparkplug of your riding mower or whatever you have and turn it over a few times.It sounds kinda weird but it really works.I have heard it does something to the venom that makes it not eat up the muscle and tissue.We have had all of our dogs fully recover after being shocked.
Ummm.....death by electrocution??
Old 05-20-2005, 03:03 PM

Maybe I need to get the hot shot out when I get home and give her a few pokes around the bite.
I'm not doubting that it would work, but I would have a hard time doing that to one of my dogs.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:11 PM

But if it were a cat....

Old 05-20-2005, 06:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Shock Therapy

Well, I see that no one has Snoped the shock theory yet. I've previously heard of this idea as well so did a quick browse on the 'net and found this excerpt from one site:

Generally, it is accepted that DC current is more suitable for the method. This means stay away from electric plug in receptacles in a wall somewhere! The proper current can be obtained from older coil based gasoline engine ignition systems. Things such as outboard motors, lawn mowers, car or jeep engines, and the like have been pressed into service. There are currently small modified versions of the stun gun which are touted as being effective portable units sufficient to deliver the necessary shock. The idea is to hit the area with enough voltage to damage the cellular molecules of the venom. This must be accomplished at the same time that low enough amps are used to prevent tissue burning, organ damage, convulsions, and a host of other possibilities being experienced from uncontrolled voltage. This is definitely a precision approach with seeing to it that proper safeguards are being maintained. Past successes have reported that voltage in the 100K level coupled with amps at the 1 or 2 level seem to be workable. The bite area is tapped quickly in one second bursts of six or seven spots in a circular fashion around the wound. Earlier taps are closer in an effort to logically reach venom before it spreads farther out. As time in minutes progresses and swelling or other symptoms move outward, the electric taps move outward also. It has been reported that beginning immediately with the bite itself in time, a series of taps every 10 to 15 minutes for the first hour may work to reduce the impact of the venom. It should be obvious that having ready access to such a shock source is a central feature of this approach. To expend hours seeking out or building a power source is not practical. The idea in all treatments is to respond to the presence of the poison very rapidly! The sooner some can be removed, or in the case of this latter treatment, be damaged in some way, the less likely the onset or the lower the peak of some of the more negative symptoms. It is widely held that the shock properly accomplished has the direct effect of changing the shape of the venom cell such that the adhering quality to whole blood cells is reduced, thereby rendering at least a portion of the venom less able to produce the designed results. As a first aid tool, this approach also must be coupled with safe transport to competent medical service. Additionally, antiseptic procedures should be applied throughout as practical. The history of this approach is more limited but it certainly makes up for late ground by holding the most dramatic claims for rapid success in treatment with minimal resulting damage levels. This method requires a deeper investigative effort and such a continuing study is supported with great hope by those who have experienced the pain of a bite with all of the negatives associated with other treatment courses.

See the whole article at:

http://www.wf.net/~snake/firsdisc.htm
Old 05-20-2005, 07:58 PM

Well if that don't beat all.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:43 PM

"As a first aid tool, this approach also must be coupled with safe transport to competent medical service. Additionally, antiseptic procedures should be applied throughout as practical. "

Personally I wouldn't try it unless I was in the middle of the desert with no way to transport my dog to the vet.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:32 AM

I would'a never thought of hookin up Ol' Flash the Bassett Hound to the Briggs and Stratton.

The old lady maybe ... but not the dog !!!

PISTOL
Old 05-21-2005, 03:02 PM

I live in pretty bad snake country. My dogs kill snakes and sometimes they get bit. This is what my vet told me to do. Give 1 benydryl every 8 hours and shoot them up with 5 cc anti biotic every day for 4 days. The antibiotic is important because the tissue where the rattler bite is will rot out and leave a nasty looking hole. Good luck
Old 05-21-2005, 05:46 PM

It's always a good idea to keep benedryl around for dogs. Bee stings can be pretty nasty too. My dogs face swelled up one time. Her eyes couldn't even open. Everyone that owns a dog should keep a first aid kit with benedryl, betadine, etc. I have a list of benedryl dosage for dogs per weight someplace if anybody needs it I'll find it. It also has other dosages for other optional antihistimines in case you don't have benedryl.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:48 PM

Pepto Bismol is good as well. Cures a case of the runs very quickly.