Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

RAMmed earth

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 11:39 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Re:RAMmed earth

Know what you mean. In seconds my tires looked like slicks. I drive in extremes so when these tires wear out will have a hard time figuring what to replace them with. About 80-90% of my driving is high speed paved road. The rest is dirt roads and now quite a bit of this red earth. Of course when it is dry it is no problem. Wet is a whole new story. Will go for the biggest tires that will fit (315's?) when I do change but maybe by then there are other models available.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:44 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need one of these.

http://www.army-technology.com/proje...s/abrams5.html
Old 08-22-2003, 11:53 AM

Mexstan,, Where in Mexico are you?

I was in Torreon, Coahuila, near Monterrey last week. I might be back down there in 3 weeks. I will be back down there next summer, and I'll probably be taking my 12V, and my Yamaha Raptor.

Most of the homes were built of what you talk about. Once the mud brick is put up,, just paint the house,, and you are good to go. I saw plenty of hay used in some of the brick,, maybe it was use to strengthen it, or maybe it was used as "filler" to stretch the mud.

Good Luck!

Merrick Cummings Jr
Old 08-22-2003, 11:58 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

A few more hours south of that, like about 8 hours more south of Monterrey. I am in Queretaro, which is about 1.5 hours driving north west of Mexico City. My property with the red earth is about 50 minutes from my house in Queretaro. DTR'ers welcome.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:10 PM

Redleg, one of those will sure work just fine. Only a few problems I see: will have to make the gate wider, it will cost more than four new tires, will have to take a second job just to keep it in fuel, it will terrorize al the local goats, sheep and cows on the road and consequently have the neighbours upset with me. Also the local miltia may want to borrow it now and then. And that is just for starters ...... So thanks for your kind suggestion, but think I will pass this time
Old 08-24-2003, 09:21 PM

I guess its to dry for sod! Sod homes work well and they dont need any paint, stand for years.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:37 PM

I don't recall seeing anything resembling sod there. Actually it is not that dry. During the rainy season, like now, the area gets a LOT of rain. Then 8-9 months of semi-arid conditions. On the subject of weather, don't know what is happening lately. This last week we have had more rain than anyone remembers. Every afternoon and evening there is a deluge, except tonight so far. Last night many homes were flooded. A friends home where she has lived for 17 years flooded badly. I went to bail her out, literaly, and arrived to find about 5 inches of water on the entire lower level and the downstairs toilet which is above ground level overflowing really badly. Water was coming in thru one of the walls in another room like a small waterfall. What a mess!!
Hope it does not rain any more tonight because tomorrow morning I will back in the gumbo. My house which is 8 years old came close to flooding and the neighbors have never seen water this high. Fortunately I thought this may happen and a few months ago modified my sprinkler pump to serve double duty and last night it pumped my back yard dry, or else my house would have flooded. At a guess in the last 6 days we have had around 7 inches of rain. Last night the local authorities were afraid a dam in the area was going to burst.