Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

RAMmed earth

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 08:39 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
RAMmed earth

Has anyone reading this any experience or knowledge of building using rammed earth? it is also known as tamped or pisé. I am considering using this method for building.

This is a RAM site isn't it? Seemed like a logical place to ask my question. ;D
Old 08-21-2003, 09:34 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re:RAMmed earth

As in compacted earth?? What would you use for reinforcing?? How would you seal it to keep moisture from getting into it and breaking it down?
Old 08-21-2003, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Build on Solid Rock.... ;D
Contractors will hate you.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:57 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

My initial research has shown that it does not need any reinforcing if built around 12 inches thick for a single story. Part of the great wall of China was built using a form of adobe. Also from what I can discover so far, built properly it is fairly moisture resistant, specially if painted or plastered. I have seen adobe houses that were built using just local materials and non stabilized earth that have lasted for over a 100 years and they were just painted.
I am just starting my research and still have a long way to go. Found out that there are also a lot of books on this subject. Just need to find the right ones and was hoping someone on this site could point me in the right direction.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:24 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

http://bobvila.com/

Go there and search rammed earth. I saw guys asking and posting links.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:34 AM

Thanks Redleg, I remember this guy. When I get some time will check that site out.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:48 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Interesting concept Stan,

I might suggest that you avoid mixing any "buffalo chips" in with your adobe though I know they used them in the past but I think that is one item best left out of the mixture
Old 08-21-2003, 10:51 AM

No buffalo in my area, but lot's of sheep and goats. Hmmmm, Rod, any suggestions?
Old 08-22-2003, 01:44 AM
Banned

When we built our fence, every other post was compacted earth instead of cement. Pour some good ole fashion Texas gumbo in the hole, add water, pack. Repeat till hole is filled. Posts have been up for over a month now and all of them are steady as a rock.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:03 AM

[quote author=GONZO link=board=10;threadid=18678;start=0#msg175222 date=1061476926]
Build on Solid Rock.... ;D
Contractors will hate you.
[/quote]
They wont only hate you but build it on the crapest but good level.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:07 AM

From what I have read about rammed earth homes ... you are in a good area to build one. They seem to work well in dry, arid locations. I did see one in a magazine that I buy, where they built a large apartment building somewhere like Sweden or Norway (cold country) and had success there also.

I would be more partial to using straw-bales with stucco or adobe to seal it up. There are a few magazine resources out there for alternative building methods. Look for Backwoods Home magazine and Mother Earth News magazine. Both have websites.
Hope that helps ...
PISTOL
Old 08-22-2003, 10:37 AM

I remember seeing a show several years ago where they were building a home in the desert southwest using this method. Very interesting, very time consuming, and as you can imagine you will want to know ahead of time where your wiring and switches will be. Sorry that I can't remember the name of the show.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:59 AM

Thanks guys for the feedback. Keep it coming. I have a property that is a sort of red clay. Think you call it gumbo in the south. When it rains it is like driving on wet ice. We have had an unusual amount of rain lately and checked on this property a few days ago during a storm. My stock tires are not very good in this stuff and even with 4WD I had a really hard time. As I have a lot of this 'gumbo' and labour is very chaep I am thinking that this may be the way to go. If I decide to go this way will start with a storage area and a workshop.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:01 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote author=Mexstan link=board=10;threadid=18678;start=0#msg175653 date=1061567995]My stock tires are not very good in this stuff and even with 4WD I had a really hard time[/quote]

I don't think they MAKE a tire that is good on that stuff. :
Old 08-22-2003, 11:31 AM
Banned

The only tire's I've seen that work good in that stuff are tractor tires. Even TSL Boggers get clogged up with it.

Quick Reply: RAMmed earth