Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Quitting smokeless tobacco

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 06:20 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I just quit a few weeks ago cold turkey, I have dipped at least a can+ a day for 17-20 years. I had a horrible time at first, the mental addiction was killing me, just the habit. I have not had a dip since 1000 on 11 Dec. I've smoked a few, but nothin serious.

Still feeling the pain, but not as bad. Stay strong. I miss the taste of Copenhagen...
Old 12-28-2007, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We Marines love our Copenhagen. But 15 years of dipping, I think it is time to quit. So starting on New Years Eve, I'm sitting down the tin. I tried last year, but to no avail, I'm still dipping. I look at my kids now, and it really makes me want to be around longer and be around for my grand-kids.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:25 AM

I tried the Chantix....doc said I need to give up the Cope to bring my blood pressure down.

My problem is I really don't want to quit...so I quit the Chantix. At least I quit something...

If I'd have stayed in commercial construction, I'd have probably been fine (lots of meeting, office time...wearing nice pants). Since I went back into refining, I spend more time in the field, and when I am in the office, too many guys with spit cups on their desk (me included)

I should probably try again starting Tuesday....
Old 12-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah, you gotta want to quit. It's all in the mind, I think.

What worked this time for me, I dipped till I ran out, and then I didn't buy any more, but told myself that I did not know if I was quitting for sure, it was just a possibility. Good so far...
Old 12-28-2007, 01:51 PM

I dipped Skoal for about 25 years, tried to quit a few times, you know half heartedly. I had a kidney transplant august 8, 2006 ask the doc about the snuff he said it increased the risk of chronic rejection. I had my last dip at 11:30 pm on august 7, 2006. I could eat a whole can right now. But that was incentive enough for me to quit. Still miss it everyday. I just used regular sugar free chewing gum to help the first couple of weeks.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:59 PM

I started the Chantix 4 days ago and my plan was to stick with the Chantix directions which say to take the first one week pack of Chantix and continue to smoke ( or dip in our case) then on the 8th day when starting the second pack of Chantix, that is your quit date. This gives your body time to accept the meds and it makes it easier to stop ( atleast that is wht the directions say )

Well, Even though I haven't even got to my 8th day yet, I really don't feel the urge to dip anywhere near as much as I did before. I ate dinner this evening and didn't even think about putting a dip in, which is HIGHLY unusual for me.
I am down to about 3 dip in a 24 hour period. I was dipping 1+ cans a day just last week.
So, I would say that once I start the second pack of Chantix ( which has more meds in it than the first week pack, I should be good to go.

Overall, I would say in the early stages of my Chantix experiment it is without a doubt working, and working well.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:56 PM

I hope you guys wanting to quit success. A friend of 43 was buried this week from too much tobacco. I remember about 10 years ago when part of his tongue was removed and he could no longer eat some of the foods he enjoyed, but he didn't quit--that is until they (two kids, wife and parents) buried him!
Old 12-28-2007, 08:41 PM

I was a Beechnut "Nut" until I decided one day to give it up. I got the pouch I didn't finish sittin in the fridge. It's been there a lil more then two years right next to a Macanudo my buddy gave me when his son was born 3 years ago. It was rough at first but I'm glad I put it away. My son asked if he could take the pouch fishing with us one day last summer and I said sure. So we were on the bank and he pulls it out of the tackle and ask's how you chew it. I said just put a big wad on the outside of your jawbone. 20 minutes later I said "aren't you gonna spit" and he said "you didn't tell me to spit" I don't think he's gonna chew again. We put the pouch back in the fridge. lol
Old 12-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat
Yeah, you gotta want to quit. It's all in the mind, I think.
Bingo. A huge portion of kicking the habit is all in your mind.

I quit smoking several years ago, mainly out of necessity. I was underway on the high seas at the time. I went out on deck to light up and saw I only had one left (my last pack I had onboard too). I smoked the last one and said to myself, "well that's the end of that", and stuck to it. I didn't have much of a problem going cold turkey.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:28 AM
Chapter President

I quit chewing around september. Actually had help, found out I was lactose intolerant.....for a week and could'nt really eat or drink anything. Then started chewing gum. Unfortunately my old boss was an ______ and I bummed a cig from a guy and then one thing led to another and I was smoking again.

Well, long story short I quit smoking and went back to my kodiak, rather get it from my mouth than inhaling that stuff into my lungs....I know one's not better than the other. Will do it again, all the times I have quit, smoking/chewing have been cold turkey. I think the will power, wanting to quit in your mind, for real is the biggest key.

I smoked for 6 or more years and in 1997 my daughter was born, I quit smoking the next day cause I wanted to be around, cold turkey and had no problems in my head in doing so.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:41 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Chantix worked very well for me.... until I finished all three months of taking it..
long story short, i am smoking again.
Plan to try it again here in '08... it did mess with my sleep and give me extremely vivid dreams......
Old 12-30-2007, 10:42 PM
DTR College Boy and FUN SIZED!!!!!!!!!!

Im fixin to quite Cope too. Im only the ripe age of 20, so I figure now is as good as ever. Im headin on a trip to the Caribbean on a cruise this coming weekend; so I figure if I can go w/o it for a week, I'll be good when I get back and hit work again. I hope. The Cope gets me through my day alot of the times. Best of luck to ya'll.