Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Quitting smokeless tobacco

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quitting smokeless tobacco

This was a topic on here a while back. I remember it was quite a popular topic. I fell off the wagon a few months ago and my wife found my Copenhagen last night. Needless to say, she is less than thrilled with me right now. So, after our arguement about it, I went and finally filled the prescription for Chantix that my doctor gave me this summer.

I also found a great website dedicated just to smokeless tobacco quitters.
If you are looking to quit FOR GOOD check out the site.
http://www.quitsmokeless.org/

I will keep you guys updated on how well Chantix works. I just took the first pill tonight. i have heard some good things about it. So, we will see.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:07 AM

I have heard good things about chantix.

One of my friends and his old lady started taking it and they both quit smoking within 3 days. They were smokers for a few years aswell. I think it messes with your senses and makes you not like the taste or smell and causing you to stop.

Hope it works out for ya.
Old 12-23-2007, 03:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
does chantix have to be giving by a doctor, sounds like something i need to invest in...
Old 12-23-2007, 04:10 AM

Just my opinion but, cold turkey did it for me. It will be 2 years in February since I quit after 20 plus years of the habit. This may sound strange but, I also had strep throat the same time I quit which I think helped also. My throat hurt so much for a week that I didn't have the desire for the dip. The first week or two is the hardest. I hated the chills I would get more than anything I think. Those go away after a couple weeks. Good luck!!! It can be done. Take it from a former nicotene freak.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Snow
does chantix have to be giving by a doctor, sounds like something i need to invest in...
Yes, But all I did was tell him i wanted to quit and heard about chantix and he said "no problem"

Each box comes with a 4 week supply. I tried the "Commit" before and they were these God awful. Chantix is just a really small pill.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:07 AM

Used to smoke, 2 packs a day for close to 15 years. Gave them up, cold turkey, was hard. A few years later started with Skoal. When I quit Skoal, had a hard couple of days. Found it harder to quit dipping than to stop smoking. Wife has been trying to stop smoking for a good while, doing the Chantix now but still hasn't put them down for good, yet.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No body likes a quitter!!!!!

Just kidding good luck kicking the habit.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:54 AM

Yup.
I know how hard it can be.
I'm a "Quitter" too.
Dipped from age 13 to 33... Been quit now for 11 years, this may not help, but every once in a while, I STILL find myself wanting a dip. Whatever your method for quitting, good luck, and stick with it!!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:06 PM

Wanting tobacco/chew is no different than any addict. It is hard to stop for some people, impossible for others. I wish you could all come to the hospital with me, and help me take care of a patient who has just had a 'radical jaw'. Literally, up to 1/2 of a persons face is removed. The tongue is always removed, the lips, usually the jawbone, chin , many times the upper jaw( upper teeth, gums, sometimes part of the nose. It is a horrible sight, even to a critical care nurse, who has seen it all. Some of these patients commit suicide after years of feeling outcast, and from depression. People avoid looking at them, even friends. People on the street stare horribly. It is an awful site- just think- you could look like that too. Nicotine is worse than booze, street drugs as far as the end physical result sometimes.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:19 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One thing I can tell you about Chantix.........I had BAD nightmares when I COULD get to sleep ! It really messed with my head. Between that and the anxiety of quitting smoking, I also had a problem with constipation. No thanks..... I'm waiting for the next round of miracle pills! Good luck, it is hard, but you and your family will be thankful.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by vzdude
One thing I can tell you about Chantix.........I had BAD nightmares when I COULD get to sleep ! It really messed with my head. Between that and the anxiety of quitting smoking, I also had a problem with constipation. No thanks..... I'm waiting for the next round of miracle pills! Good luck, it is hard, but you and your family will be thankful.
No nightmares yet but my dreams have seemed very real for some reason.
I didn't relate it to the Chantix. i guess i should read the warning label huh. I work nights so my sleep pattern is totally screwed up anyway, so, it is hard to tell if it is effecting my sleep or not.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:05 AM

Good luck, man. I'm sitting here with a big dip right now. I've stopped for a few months here and there, but I always come back. I'm going to check out that Chantix.

Brad
Old 12-28-2007, 02:17 AM

In order to quit, you have to want to.
I used Nicorette gum when I quit.

It helped satisfy the oral fixation, until my mind could get wrapped around the whole idea of life without chewing tobacco.

After 11 years, I wish I could say I'm completely tobacco free, but i still smoke a cigar once in a while... Speaking of dreams, after I quit, I used to DREAM about dipping!!

My god son who just made it through Navy SEALS training ALMOST had me dipping again... Close call for me, really. I guess because I hold him in high regard. My saving grace was when he asked me for a cigar... Whew! THAT was close!!
Old 12-28-2007, 05:35 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Quit.

I lost my mother over a period of five months to lung cancer due to tobacco addiction. My wife and I visited her in a skilled nursing facility(had to place her as Dad had died just prior to her diagnosis and she needed 24 hr. care) daily during that period.She was on the hospice floor surrounded by other terminal patients,many afflicted with the same disease. It's a horrible way to go. Unfortunately,despite that sobering experience,my wife continues to indulge in her cigarette habit. I think you must want to quit. Best of luck to you folks.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:52 AM

Yep, I am quitting the day after tomorrow. I have been taking Chantix for 5 days now and according to the directions the 7th. day is your quit day. In the past week I have cut WAY back from one can a day to one can every 3 days. ( with alot of help from the fake stuff) I think I can kick this thing in the butt... I'll let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Quitting smokeless tobacco