Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Question for the plumbing experts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:23 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Question for the plumbing experts?

Is there such a thing as a 115 volt solenoid Y tube or diverter valve? That is probably the wrong word for it, so let me explain what I want to do.

On the kitchen sink for the garbage disposal drain would like to put a diverter valve to channel the relatively clean gray water outside to a small tank. When the garbage disposal is turned on I want that to also activate the Y valve and take that water to the normal drain.

If this is available, where do I buy it? Would Home Depot or Lowe's carry it and under what description?
Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You can use a 120 volt transformer to run a 12 or 24vdc valve like what would turn on a sprinkler. But I would think finding one big enough to handle a drain line would be tough.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:06 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say there probably is such a beast, I doubt any of your mega marts would carry it.
you want a y valve with 120 VAC operator.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...17XHJXN0FJ15YT

soemthing like that, then find a 1/4 turn operator to replace the handle for remote controle.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:03 PM

Mexstan go to Harrington industrial plastics and under the heading of products go to valves and actuation. Look at there 3 way actuated valves.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:30 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Originally Posted by ArkansasRam
Mexstan go to Harrington industrial plastics and under the heading of products go to valves and actuation. Look at there 3 way actuated valves.
Took a quick look and you may be on to something. Thanks. Will check tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:39 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Stan, I think the real question is what are you going to do to fix your transgressions and those of others around you...

Pot stirrer in training... Tee Hee!!! sorry could not resist!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 09:45 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

out of curiosity, Why are you trying to separate your gray water?
Old 03-16-2011, 09:50 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Stan,

Forgive me???

Great idea, I was trying to figure out how to do that with our washing machine, but it was actually cheaper to just buy a high efficiency washer. Are you on a septic?
Old 03-16-2011, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by wyododge
Stan, I think the real question is what are you going to do to fix your transgressions and those of others around you...

Pot stirrer in training... Tee Hee!!! sorry could not resist!!!
Yeah right! No doubt trying to follow my good example.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
out of curiosity, Why are you trying to separate your gray water?
Trying to conserve water. We use that gray water to water the plants and since we started doing that, the plants are thriving.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by wyododge
Stan,

Forgive me???

Great idea, I was trying to figure out how to do that with our washing machine, but it was actually cheaper to just buy a high efficiency washer. Are you on a septic?
Forgive you? Hmmm, let the DTR readers decide if I should.

Not on septic. The main drain goes to the city drain.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:46 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Stan,
Here are some wastewater diverter valves you could use, also check the valves used in the RV industry.

Is this what you are thinking about?

http://www.oasisdesign.net/greywater/divertervalves.htm

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Greywater-Diverter-Valve.htm

http://www.enviro-friendly.com/greyw...er-valve.shtml

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...6446&id=121038

There are also Jandy diverter valves used on pools and spas, you might automate them with an actuator or gearmotor.

http://www.jandy.com/html/products/valves/

Jim
Old 03-17-2011, 05:20 AM

Jim, thank you. Some of those valves are exactly what I want. Unfortunately all of them are manual and no way can I use a manual valve for my wife or anybody else who may decide to use the garbage disposal.
Another problem is that I don't have a lot of space under the sink for big valve, especially if it has a gearmotor or something similar.
However, between you and ArkansaRam, you have given me some ideas and will work on them.
Thanks.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stan, thinking outside the box and outside your parameters, a different option would be to plumb a double-basin sink

so that the primary/large basin is plumbed to the greywater tank and the small/secondary basis in plumbed thru the garbage disposal to the sewer. Then it's just a matter of training the home occupants to use the correct sink depending on desired output.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:00 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
Then it's just a matter of training the home occupants to use the correct sink depending on desired output.
This simple training scenario has never been very successful for me Try as I might I just can't seem to get something that simple to become SOP for some people who shall go unamed in this thread

I have come to the conclusion that some things are just better off left alone so that Harmony exudes from the household

Quick Reply: Question for the plumbing experts?