Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Question for PA LEO's

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for PA LEO's

Got a quicky here. Pa has a helmet law for kids under 12 while riding a bicycle. Does this apply to private property, such as your yard or not?

Thanks
Old 07-11-2007, 05:50 PM

www.dot.state.pa.us/BIKE/WEB/bikelaws.htm

Does not apply to private property. And the sidewalk is considered part of the public roadway here.

So your driveway fine. yard, farm all good. But once you hit that sidewalk must have a helmet.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Banned

Hmm,

I read the law in the link above and it doesn't answer your question.

Section 3510. Pedalcycle helmets for certain persons.
(a) General rule.-- A person under 12 years of age shall not operate a pedalcycle or ride as a passenger on a pedalcycle unless the person is wearing a pedalcycle helmet meeting the standards of the AmericanStandards Institute, the American Society for Testing and Materials, the Snell Memorial Foundation's Standards for Protective Headgear for Use in Bicycling or any other nationally recognized standard for pedalcycle helmet approval. This subsection shall also apply to a person who rides:
(1) upon a pedalcycle while in a restraining seat attached to a pedalcycle; or
(2) in a trailer towed by a pedalcycle.
Comment: The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation strongly recommends that all bicyclists wear approved helmets whenever they ride.
Why don't you just call the Washington or Canonsburg PD and see what they have to say about it?

Better yet, hit up Craigslist for a helmet for the little dude. I would probably wear one just coasting down your driveway. You saw what I did to my toe just chasing after the basketball in the yard!
Old 07-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Banned

Thanks for the link, but this dosent really answer my question. The way Im reading this, it sounds like these laws are for public roadways.

In Pennsylvania, a bicycle is considered a vehicle and, as such, is governed by a general set of rules (common to all vehicles) and a specific set of rules (designed for bicycles). The following annotated list provides all of the important sections of the Vehicle Code which a Pennsylvania bicyclist should know. Keep in mind that the laws themselves often describe only what a bicyclist is required to do, not how to do it. This manual addresses how to bicycle safely and efficiently by following the rules of the road.

But then theres this:

(a) General rule.-- A person under 12 years of age shall not operate a pedalcycle or ride as a passenger on a pedalcycle unless the person is wearing a pedalcycle helmet meeting the standards of the AmericanStandards Institute, the American Society for Testing and Materials, the Snell Memorial Foundation's Standards for Protective Headgear for Use in Bicycling or any other nationally recognized standard for pedalcycle helmet approval. This subsection shall also apply to a person who rides:
(1) upon a pedalcycle while in a restraining seat attached to a pedalcycle; or
(2) in a trailer towed by a pedalcycle.

Not trying to be ignorant here. Does this apply to roadways only or my driveway which is 200+ yards from the nearest road?

Anyone
Old 07-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by new2ctd
www.dot.state.pa.us/BIKE/WEB/bikelaws.htm

Does not apply to private property. And the sidewalk is considered part of the public roadway here.

So your driveway fine. yard, farm all good. But once you hit that sidewalk must have a helmet.
This would make sense, but I think CASMOKIN's driveway is also the street. Really goofy situation there.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by smokindog
Hmm,

I read the law in the link above and it doesn't answer your question.

Why don't you just call the Washington or Canonsburg PD and see what they have to say about it?

Better yet, hit up Craigslist for a helmet for the little dude. I would probably wear one just coasting down your driveway. You saw what I did to my toe just chasing after the basketball in the yard!
I hear ya hummin Homer! But he dosent ride down the driveway, he stays on the concrete infront of the garage. Im sure you can guess why Im even asking. Got another nasty gram from you know who
Old 07-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Banned

This would make sense, but I think CASMOKIN's driveway is also the street. Really goofy situation there.
My driveway is a non county road, owned by me and my nieghbor. My property line covers half the drive, his the other half
Old 07-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Banned

I just found one over here in my hood for $6.00 and it is brand new. You want me to snag it and send it with the boss next week?
Old 07-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Banned

Hmm,

You saw what I did to my toe just chasing after the basketball in the yard!
Yea, but youre a little girl, and hes not. crybaby
Old 07-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Banned

Hey, you saw my swollen, purple toe! It was all because of the rain. Your yard is gonna be awesome for sled ridding in the winter!

So I guess I should grab the cover for the little guy or else...

Let me know!
Old 07-11-2007, 06:42 PM

Section 3501. Applicability of traffic laws to pedalcycles.
(a) General rule. -- Every person riding a pedalcycle upon a roadway shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this title, except as to special provisions in this subchapter and except as to those provisions of this title which by their nature can have no application.
Then

(a) General rule.-- A person under 12 years of age shall not operate a pedalcycle or ride as a passenger on a pedalcycle unless the person is wearing a pedalcycle helmet meeting the standards of the AmericanStandards Institute, the American Society for Testing and Materials, the Snell Memorial Foundation's Standards for Protective Headgear for Use in Bicycling or any other nationally recognized standard for pedalcycle helmet approval.

Or even better do what SmokinDog recommended and have it from the local horses mouth.