Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Question for the gunsmiths/experts (trigger pull)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question for the gunsmiths/experts (trigger pull)

Finally got my new Remington 700 BDL 30-06 to the range. Like how it shoots, but the trigger pull is kind of heavy. I get the feeling like I am not squeezing off the rounds like I should.
Is this something I can have adjusted by a gunsmith? (Assuming I can get it back before hunting season starts , everyone is getting geared up for hunting season now, the smiths might be a bit busy)
How much would I expect to pay to have this done, if it is possible?

Thanks,
~Rob
Old 09-20-2004, 05:52 AM
Chapter President

700 BDL

I bought a 700 BDL a few years back and the trigger was HORRIBLE; This was a .22-250, to be used for 300+ yd. varminting, so the trigger was unacceptable in its current state. The fix? I purchased a Timney trigger from Midway (www.midwayusa.com) and installed it - problem solved!
Factory rifles typically come with a heavy trigger - probably for liability purposes?

The trigger was $52, installation and adjustment took about 30 minutes - WELL worth the time/$. Note: I had to inlet the stock just a wee bit to get it to fit perfectly....

For a hunting rifle, you won't need to adjust it as light as it will go, that could be downright dangerous - adjust it to where you feel comfortable that an adrenaline-drive finger will not give you an AD off into the wild blue yonder, and you're set!
Old 09-20-2004, 07:34 AM

Rauschbo,
Thanks for the info. I will have to look into one of those.

~Rob
Old 09-20-2004, 08:11 AM

The remington Trigger has an adjustment screw on it. Actually it has Three. If you take the barrel out of the stock and look at the trigger assembly you will see three screw. They are usually covered by some type of thread lock. If you will do a google search for remington trigger adjustment you will find the documents that tell you how to do this.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remington's trigger is adjustable down to about 3lbs, run a search on google for "Remington crisp" and you can get complete instructions on how to do it. Takes about 30 minutes to an hour (first time), and will save you some money and time. I've got one gun with a Timney trigger and 2 that have been adjusted, hard to tell the difference at the range.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:41 AM

Hotdram
if you decide to adjust the trigger yourself, make sure you keep good sear engagement. I have seen them slam fire when closing the bolt. Not a hard job but they can get tricky.
jmho
wayne
Old 09-20-2004, 12:43 PM

I had a local gunsmith smooth/lighten the trigger on my Ruger M-77 Mark II after last season.. It had a nice crisp break, but was very heavy (~8.5 lbs).. now it breaks at about 3.75 lbs and is much easier to shoot.. I paid about $60 for this.. I looked at a few replacement triggers but they all mentioned 'gunsmithing required' - and i didnt feel comfortable going that way..

good luck
Old 09-20-2004, 12:57 PM

Thank you all for your responses. I did the google search for Remington Crisp and here is the best article I found: Remington Crisp Article

It looks easy enough, but mentions not to mess with the sear engagement (as TXRAM2 also stated in his response). I feel I am competent enough to follow the directions and make the adjustment, but I have no idea what "sear engagement" is. Therefore, I decided I probably have no business messing around with the trigger myself. I found a gunsmith locally that will do it for $35.00 (modify the existing trigger, not put a new one in). I am going to go this route. $35.00 is worth my piece of mind, knowing an experienced person did the work.

Thanks again,
~Rob