Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Question for all the engineer types

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
I found the solution to your problem...
Yeah, I've been drooling over that thing since they introduced it. I'll never be able to get one but they sure are nice!

Originally Posted by wyododge
Ok Scott, I think I've got it figured out for ya...
Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
Leave it to a guy from Wyoming!!

Other than that responce, I have nothing to add
That's been going on for a long, loooong time in the breakroom! Ya oughta stop by for a visit once in awhile... you'll never look at life the same again!
Old 08-10-2010, 08:33 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You forgot to the the T.V.

Don't you have a welder or something? You could make a 3 point mount for the generator and power it off the John Deer PTO, until you got a nice 20 horse.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Redleg
You forgot to the the T.V.

Don't you have a welder or something? You could make a 3 point mount for the generator and power it off the John Deer PTO, until you got a nice 20 horse.
I can power the place with the welder on the truck, but the generator on the Escape trailer took a dive last Friday. The motor is ok but we burned up the generator head and can't get a new one that will fit the engine shaft. So I've saved the motor, which is a diesel, with the thought if I could pulley drive a 10K generator with it, I could use it as a dedicated unit for the office/shop and save the hours on the welder. Looks like that won't work now tho.

We're using 9200 watts continuous in the trailer, so now we're looking for a 10K continuous unit for the trailer. Generac is winning out at this point, but even those are about a grand more than we have to spend so I dunno what we're going to do at the moment.

Guess I can't complain about the cheap Chinese unit that burned up tho... it was only rated at 7800 watts continuous and it's lasted 3 years trying to supply 9200!
Old 08-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Get your self a tread mill. Put a large cage around it, strap blake or eric onto the treadmill so they can't move forward or backward and put a sheep in front of them. Extend the rear axle to your generator (direct drive). If you don't get 16 HP right away, try tying a couple of bows on the sheep, if that doesn't get you enough, try sheering the sheep nice and clean, and/or moving the sheep a little closer, but please make sure she is out of reach. Oh ya, one more thing, make sure the sheep is facing away from them. Might also need to rig up a drool bucket or they could slip. Could cause you a momentary loss of power.

Might also want to consider a large drape to cover everything up, in the event of an accidental capture. Could be rather unsightly and very disturbing.

Guaranteed 16 HP.

Hope this helps buddy!!!

Oh no he dident........

I cant believe you would even think something like that.... Jeff Im just shocked.

16hp....

DUDE! I could get SOLID 60 with that setup, EASY!

Throw Eric in the mix and we could power half of Kalamazoo
Old 08-10-2010, 11:32 AM

I didn't mean to scavange power form the welder, I meant build a little frame that mounts to the tractors 3 point and run propeller shaft off the PTO. Heck, then you could run the rig out to the back woods and send some REAL power through the problematic back fence.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:36 AM

I didn't mean to scavange power form the welder, I meant build a little frame that mounts to the tractors 3 point and run propeller shaft off the PTO. Heck, then you could run the rig out to the back woods and send some REAL power through the problematic back fence.
Blueprints would have worked better.

But I knew what you meant. Those are common around here. Only problem is the fuel gets a lil expensive running off of a tractor cause to turn the PTO speed to turn the generator at its set RPM range the tractor is usually at a considerably higher RPM.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Not to mention the Fish Fry we could have after dropping the probes in the pond, just a net and a canoe and we would be in business
Old 08-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Get your self a tread mill. Put a large cage around it, strap blake or eric onto the treadmill so they can't move forward or backward and put a sheep in front of them. Extend the rear axle to your generator (direct drive). If you don't get 16 HP right away, try tying a couple of bows on the sheep, if that doesn't get you enough, try sheering the sheep nice and clean, and/or moving the sheep a little closer, but please make sure she is out of reach. Oh ya, one more thing, make sure the sheep is facing away from them. Might also need to rig up a drool bucket or they could slip. Could cause you a momentary loss of power.

Might also want to consider a large drape to cover everything up, in the event of an accidental capture. Could be rather unsightly and very disturbing.

Guaranteed 16 HP.

Hope this helps buddy!!!
Originally Posted by Blake Clark

I cant believe you would even think something like that.... Jeff Im just shocked.

16hp....

DUDE! I could get SOLID 60 with that setup, EASY!

Throw Eric in the mix and we could power half of Kalamazoo

We might be able to light up Kalamazoo for a little while but dang it I'm catching that sheep!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
We might be able to light up Kalamazoo for a little while but dang it I'm catching that sheep!!!
Go get em you baaaaaad boy...
Old 08-10-2010, 12:28 PM
I grad-u-ated frum Claudes skool of tpying....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you all are twisted,but we love you anyways HUG TIME
Old 08-10-2010, 12:46 PM

Blueprints would have worked better.

But I knew what you meant. Those are common around here. Only problem is the fuel gets a lil expensive running off of a tractor cause to turn the PTO speed to turn the generator at its set RPM range the tractor is usually at a considerably higher RPM.
Yeah, but just for temp use in an emergency until he finds the right motor. He has the angle iron for a simple frame to secure it to the tractor. I have a couple drive shafts to butcher and he may as well.

Top you're on to something there. Salmon aughta be coming into the rivers anytime now too.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:00 PM

Yeah, but just for temp use in an emergency until he finds the right motor. He has the angle iron for a simple frame to secure it to the tractor. I have a couple drive shafts to butcher and he may as well.

Top you're on to something there. Salmon aughta be coming into the rivers anytime now too.
This is true. We normally combat that with a high HP tractor on 1000RPM PTO

You can run it down on low RPM's and still generate enough power to generate.

Another setup we use down here (for ricefield water pump power units) is to find and old 1st gen 4x4 with a 5spd. Pull the bed, adapt the drive shaft to the pump input. Install manual throttle cable. Retain 4wd for pump relocation. Extreme variability on RPM output with the throttle cable and the 5spd.

Makes for some cool power units.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:29 PM

I was actually thinking, he aughta get his hands on an antique fire truck and fix it up to use with the classes and run the generator off that.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:39 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another setup we use down here (for ricefield water pump power units) is to find and old 1st gen 4x4 with a 5spd. Pull the bed, adapt the drive shaft to the pump input. Install manual throttle cable. Retain 4wd for pump relocation. Extreme variability on RPM output with the throttle cable and the 5spd. Makes for some cool power units.

Hey you guys down there are copy-catting us up here!! we thought of it first..
Old 08-10-2010, 07:05 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

sorry, 12KW.
since its a diesel, just retune it. more boost. more fuel. add propane. if you need an honest 10kW steady diet, you might wanna look at a 15kW or 20kW.

Quick Reply: Question for all the engineer types