Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Question about ATV's and motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Question Question about ATV's and motorcycles

Just curious. Why is it that ATV's typically have a thumb throttle, while motorcycles usually have a twist throttle?
Old 07-10-2008, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im just going to take a stab in the dark here, this is just my opinion.

On an ATV, I think the hand throttle would be harder to control going over ruff terrain, with all the jarring movements taking place the last thing you want is to "blip" the throttle to much on accident.

I may be way off on my guess, but it makes sense to me.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:54 PM

also the position the rider has to the throttles, generally atv riders are sitting, vs. mx standing...
Old 07-10-2008, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nate-03 D
Im just going to take a stab in the dark here, this is just my opinion.

On an ATV, I think the hand throttle would be harder to control going over ruff terrain, with all the jarring movements taking place the last thing you want is to "blip" the throttle to much on accident.

I may be way off on my guess, but it makes sense to me.

I ride GNCC's on a YZ 250 ( twist throttle of course) and pretty much the whole track consists rough terrain..

I always thought it was because ATV's are also used in cold weather and the thumb throttle is less likely to freeze up.. I also could be way off though....
Old 07-10-2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by s cesnick
I ride GNCC's on a YZ 250 ( twist throttle of course) and pretty much the whole track consists rough terrain..

I always thought it was because ATV's are also used in cold weather and the thumb throttle is less likely to freeze up.. I also could be way off though....
Yea, that could be it aswell. But when I was thinkin of ruff terrain I was thinking along the lines of serious terrain. Like climbing large rocks, severe articulation, steep angles.

Do hand throttle's freeze real easy when it's cold?
Old 07-10-2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nate-03 D
I was thinking along the lines of serious terrain. Like climbing large rocks, severe articulation, steep angles.

Do hand throttle's freeze real easy when it's cold?
Yep, that is what I am talking about also, ( check out a harscramble sometime, you will love it) Trials bikes also have twist throttles.

I had a twist throttle on my quad years and years ago and all it takes is a bit of melting snow/ rain/ moisture and then a good freeze and there you have it, a frozen throttle... i also think that is why you will never see a twist on a snowmoble...
Old 07-10-2008, 05:27 PM

Due to turning. ATV's you push the handlebars in the direction of the turn and slide the rear around.. Motorcycles you lean into the corners and barely turn the handlebars so its easier for wrist control. My .02
Old 07-10-2008, 09:27 PM

Yeah has to do with steering. On a motorcycle you push left to go right and on an ATV you steer it like a car so when you turn you have to pull and that would be hard if you had a twist throttle.
Also with a bike it would be hard to control the thumb control and also push with that hand.

So its like a control thing I guess?
Old 07-11-2008, 01:54 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

I go with the mud muck and snow creating havoc with a twist grip.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:14 AM

Easier to learn with a thumb throttle. When you hit something,goose it, whatever, you are far less likely to make things worse by going WFO.
Throttle control for the masses who may not have ever ridden a cycle.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by sctsnpr
Due to turning. ATV's you push the handlebars in the direction of the turn and slide the rear around.. Motorcycles you lean into the corners and barely turn the handlebars so its easier for wrist control. My .02
That is the way I see it as well. When you are on a bike you are not turning the bars as much as you would on a quad. A lot easier on the wrist and thumb to push a throttle when the bars are off in either direction compared to try to twist a throttle when the bars are angled sharp.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by sctsnpr
If I tried to lean my bike instead of steer it in a wicked rock section of a hare scramble track I would quickly be on the ground. It really has nothing to do with how the bike/quad/sled steers or handles. if it did, then why do all the serious quad and sled racers have a twist throttle?
Old 07-11-2008, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by s cesnick
Yep, that is what I am talking about also, ( check out a harscramble sometime, you will love it) Trials bikes also have twist throttles.

I had a twist throttle on my quad years and years ago and all it takes is a bit of melting snow/ rain/ moisture and then a good freeze and there you have it, a frozen throttle... i also think that is why you will never see a twist on a snowmoble...
Snowmobile palm throttles and ATV thumb throttles freeze too.

And..........back in the late 70's twist throttles WERE factory options on John Deere Liquifire and Cyclone snowmobiles. I've got two of my 3 JD's still set up with twist throttles. Very popular with the go-fast crowd back then.

I've got ATC's too both with thumb throttles, and personally I find them annoying. Twist throttle is WAY more comfortable on a long ride.

BUT..........I go more with the public being unaccustomed to twist throttles. Dirt bikes have twist throttles and they see as much or more rough terrain.