Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

In a Quandry

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a Quandry

Well, I recieved a surprise call today from a headhunter. He said that he has a couple of mechanical contractors that are in need of a project manager, and after some background checking, I am the guy that fits their bill.

I have been working for the company that I am with now, for over 4 years. It is a really small company and I have been instrumental in getting it off of the ground. Before I came on board, they just sub-contracted work for other mechanicals. I pushed their envelope and started them into full fledged mechanical contracting work, (which did not interfere with their existing work base). The company has come a really long way in these 4 years and I feel priveleged to have been instrumental to that growth.

My dilemma is that, now I am being offered more than one chance at making more money, in a time of unknown economic growth. The type of work I specialize in is one that is barely affected by the current economy, especially here in Houston (I specialize in HVAC for the medical industry). I cherish the idea of making more money, but I feel I will let down those I have helped grow a small business. My current position has room for growth in the future, but the new position will allow for more rapid growth in that both companies are larger and have an almost unlimited (it seems), potential.

I have been in this exact position 3 other times in the past, but this time, it feels harder to make up my mind. I like my current bosses and all of the field personnel that make up the company. The new position will put me as low man on the totem pole as far as the company hierchy. I am not afraid of my production levels falling, in that I provide very hands on commitment to all of my customers, and this has led me to have many dedicated customers.

I know that in these times, this kind of offer is rare, with so many people looking for jobs. I just thought I would air this out to see what many of you thought. This site has so many great people on it, and wisdom abounds from all of you.

Thanks for reading this and I am sorry I went so long on this post.

Gary

Last edited by scuzman00; 07-23-2010 at 01:06 AM. Reason: typo and sentence structure
Old 07-23-2010, 04:03 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Just thinking out loud, but maybe advise your supervisor that you have been getting approached and though you aren't necessarily leaning towards taking the offers, you would like some reassurances on THEIR position regarding your personal job security with them and potential advancement possibilities?

Other than that, I'd interview some of the prospective company's other employees and get a feel for how they treat their people before I left a decent job and started over.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:17 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For what it's worth, I'd stay right where you are. You have a job you enjoy, working for people you like, for a company that you basically helped start. There's a lot to be said for working for a small company where the people actually know you and might even care about you!
Old 07-23-2010, 06:14 AM

stay and make that company like the ones making the offers
Old 07-23-2010, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the input guys. Your responses are leaning the way that my gut tells me, but I may still interview with them just for grins. It is kind of cool to be picked out of a crowd for your accomplishments, especially when you never realized anyone has been watching.

Gary
Old 07-23-2010, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is my 2 cents, if the place you're at makes you happy and you're making a decent wage, stay. If you're not happy, move on. I moved on about 3.5 years ago and am now VERY happy. Best job move I ever made. I loved the people I worked with, but the unexpected travel, huge stress and pay were horrible. If I would have stayed it would have given me a nervous breakdown and would have ended my marriage.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:26 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
playin with fire accepting the interview. word spreads like wildfire even when you don't think it is. the company you are with now may get word you are interviewing then things get blown out of proportion. CYA
Old 07-23-2010, 11:50 AM

Money is only one reason to change positions. If you like the company and the people you work with now, i would not take the chance.

My story:

I took a job with a wholesale branch store for HVACR. It ended up being the worst job I ever had. It sounded great at the interview, I'm not a tech but have spent much of my employmet life in recieving. The position I took was a warehouse/ driver position, sounded great. After the first week they wanted me to stop every morning on my way in and get doughnuts. I did it no big deal. Second week I get a list of job duties, keep the bathrooms mopped and clean, take out all the trash, sweep and wet mop store area, dust the shelves and counters, keep pop machine full, the list goes on.

Their was two other people there that worked the counter. If they had nothing to do they did nothing. read newspapers, surf the internet.

I have a very strong work ethic and this drove me crazy. I lasted 7 years, and not once did I ever see anyone else pick up a broom or do anything to help maintain the operation.

I have never seen a company run the way this place was. everyone was so lazy and did not give a darn. It took them 3/4 of a year to make an change on my insurance, and over 1/2 a year to process my raise.

So ya just never know what your getting into before its to late. If you like the company and the people you work with now, yo may want to stay. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:38 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

I spent many years working a job I hated. If I had it to do over again, I would have worked a job that I liked for half the pay.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:54 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Ok, my thoughts here.
I have a buddy that jumped ship on a company he had been with for almost 10 years to go to a startup with some other people that had jumped from the same company.
He went the agreement that he gets a certain base salary and profit share.
if you have truely built their business that much, put some numbers together and talk to the appropriate people and ask for a cut of what you make for the company.
based on the time frame of the company my buddy is with, he is set to be senior management as the company grows up.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There is a lot to be said about doing a job you love with people you get along with.
If you're happy where you are and comfortable with the pay you are receiving, all I would do is talk to the owner in a round about way to see where he/she sees you in the company in the future. If any questions are asked, just reassure them you are very happy and just wondered where the direction of the company is headed. You are in no way looking to leave them. If you already know the answer, just stay quiet and tell the other prospects thanks for their consideration and keep you in mind for any future offers. In other words, don't burn ANY bridges