Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Proud AMERICAN....but need some advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proud AMERICAN....but need some advice!!!

Need help handling this situation. I have lived in this "smaller" town I currently live in for about 3 1/2 years now. I know very little people here. I live on MAIN street.

Here’s what’s happened. Let me start by stating I respect and honor our nation and the flag that soars above it. I HAD an American Flag on a pole 12 or so feet off the ground in our front yard, and a light that shined on it at night time. Have a little flag stuck in our flower pot out front....have little window sticker flags on our kitchen windows and back door. There’s no shortage of pride around this house. So, a week or so ago, we had a few terrible wind storms. During the first wind storm, our flag pole busted in a few places. So, I rolled the flag up around the pole and placed it up against the front door of the house. During this time, I have been working a lot. Worked about 145 hours in 2 weeks. All night, all day. Trying to sleep when possible. The lawn in front got about 6 inches long which is unusual for us, but it shows I haven't been around to take care of the house. Also, we use our front door very little. I park my WORK (BNSF) truck out front on main street, walk around the side of the house and enter through the back door. Our garage is in back and so we almost always use the back door. During the past week, we had other bad wind storms and sometime during these storms, the flag pole with the flag wrapped around around it fell down. Here’s what happened.

I came home the other day and noticed my lawn was getting out of control, and finally had the time to mow. I went around back, grabbed the mower and went to the front of the house. I noticed my flag pole on the ground, and a note on the door stating, " do you think this is the proper treatment for U.S Flag?" My first thought was, of course not. Must have blown down. So, no biggy, I grabbed the flag, folded it up and put it in the house and mowed the lawn. Need to go to Ace Hardware and buy a new pole. Next thing I know, I receive a phone call from another employee telling me that he received a phone call from the individual who left the note on my door. He said this person was very upset. I explained to this other employee the situation. He said he could understand. Then, today I receive phone calls from other people (employees and non-employees) telling me there is a picture circulating around the internet and in emails showing my disrespect for our nations flag. HUH???? In this picture, my BNSF truck and the American Flag are in the same picture. Then, I receive a phone call from my Manager asking me what was going on....he received this pictured email with our Company BNSF truck and flag today from his bosses boss. Let me say, that is VERY high up in management on the Railroad. So, not only did this go from a personal level, but now it has effected my job. Someone either dislikes me, or the railroad…maybe both. I am livid about this whole situation. Why did my work have to be involved? Why did it ever get to this point. Why did this individual not just simply knock on my door and say, “ hey buddy, your flag is on the ground, pick it up?” Now, half the town and work employees think I have no respect for our country and the flag that represents it, which couldn’t be further from the truth!!!!!!!!!! What do I do, and how do I handle this situation? One individual has now put a label on me….for all the town and my employees. Please give any advice you may have. I’m very mad. Thank you.

Jason
Old 07-21-2010, 11:13 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jason, I'm sorry about all the trouble. Sounds like you're just a busy man that needs an extra extra hand. I can appreciate that. Who doesn't need an assist now and again when the time runs shorter than the work? I've had a couple beers tonight but the way I see it to get out of this, without going the fightin' mad route, is to out loud ask for help and tell "them" exactly where you're coming from.

You say "I'm sorry to offend, I meant no wrong. I'm just working long and time is short. I need some help getting my pole back in the ground. And that's the only reason for this fuss. If you can can help a fella please call..."

Anyway these days people are hypersensitive and looking for a fight. You just be honest about it and be humble and someone will step up to help. I'm in a bit of a dumpy time myself and when I'm this broken I got nothing but my honesty and sincerity to get me to get me through.

I hope things get better for you. If I was close I'd be glad to help get your pole and flag back flying.

Take care
Old 07-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I think everyone in this country is being tested for their patriotism lately. These are very stressful times for everyone. I would just replace the flag pole and hoist old glory back up again. Let people know that you are a patriot and that is why you fly the American flag in your front yard, do they? What makes this person so righteous? Did they lose someone in a war? Did they even serve in the military? I think you did the right thing and they need to get over it. You are not the enemy you are American just like them.
People sometimes need to just get on with their life and stop badgering hard working Americans.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:56 PM
Cummins Guru

Jason, If you live on Main St. down the street from the National guard recruiting office then you are the only one that has American flag in front of your house. Good for you.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by BigIron70
Jason, If you live on Main St. down the street from the National guard recruiting office then you are the only one that has American flag in front of your house. Good for you.
BigIron, how in the heck did you figure out that???? : )

Thanks for the advice guys. I need to give it a few days to let things cool down. Its the......sending emails all around work thing that is really bothering me. Not sure why someone would ever go that far, especially without confronting the sourse first. Anyway, gonna try and sleep on it.

Thanks again!

Jason
Old 07-22-2010, 12:31 AM

Is this your house Jason?
Ahhhh....yup! Forgot about the VPike. Pretty neat. Thats Ol' Glory there. Nice find.....well, that was Ol' Glory. Going to see about getting a larger diameter pole, and maybe a bigger flag.

Jason
Old 07-22-2010, 12:43 AM
Cummins Guru

You know your town has a lot of history to it. you might want to try your home town paper and run article about why your flag went down and how much the flag does mean to you. You also have several radio stations, one is country. Give them a call and tell them what going on with you they might even help you out. I don't know how bad your situation is so it's your call. In small towns news travel fast. Good Luck
Bill

http://www.milescitystar.com/
Old 07-22-2010, 02:03 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

You know your town has a lot of history to it. you might want to try your home town paper and run article about why your flag went down and how much the flag does mean to you. You also have several radio stations, one is country. Give them a call and tell them what going on with you they might even help you out. I don't know how bad your situation is so it's your call. In small towns news travel fast. Good Luck
Bill

http://www.milescitystar.com/
That right there is exactly what I would do. Fight Back. Someone sucker punched you, Roll up your sleeves and call them on the carpet. Call them the coward that they are and see if they are a cockroach or not.

Who knows, might be a good guy who was just fed up and you were the one who put him over the edge. On the other hand, might just be an insect.

Either way you win, and set a good example for someone else who might be in the same situation.

I go through Miles City occasionally on the way to the patch (ND). If you need a hand I would be glad to help.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:09 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

The emails. Post a link to your post on DTR. The others, if it has come to it, go door to door with a well written note to hand them explaining who you are, where you are coming from and that you just want to live the same life that they are living without any hassles.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:01 AM

Someone was having a bad day and it got out of control it seems. I'm **** about flag etiquette too but I would have simply burned your flag and replace the pole with a new one for you and left a note about what happened. There is no reason they should have done what they did. It's ridiculous to me. I would do as others have said and do a newspaper ad or editorial stating what went on and then include a piece maybe on proper flag etiquette so everyone can follow and appreciate where you're coming from and where you took it. Don't sweat it as someone just had a little too much time on their hands. Seems like strange behavior for Miles City. I would expect it in Bozeman, Missoula, Kalispell or Helena though with all of the out of state liberals that have and are moving in.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:21 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

If I were your supervisor, I would submit for a temporary cover on the company web page a before and after picture with a caption similat to..

"At BNSF, we are proud to employ patriots who display their support of our nation so vigorously. Having learned of the misfortune of one such employee sustaining storm damage, we were eager to purchase and install this NEW flag and pole to show our support!"

Feel free to pass the suggestion up your chain of command to possibly save the unfortunate embarrassment.

Don.

Maybe BNSF could even do a press release if they take the suggestion?
Old 07-22-2010, 10:52 AM

Heres the link... http://milescity.com/

.....number 25 on the list. Its going around for all to see and talk about. Thanks again guys. I tried to sleep on it last night, but I woke up even more upset. Now, people honk and stare when they drive by the house, and most don't even know why.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Redleg
If I were your supervisor, I would submit for a temporary cover on the company web page a before and after picture with a caption similat to..

"At BNSF, we are proud to employ patriots who display their support of our nation so vigorously. Having learned of the misfortune of one such employee sustaining storm damage, we were eager to purchase and install this NEW flag and pole to show our support!"

Feel free to pass the suggestion up your chain of command to possibly save the unfortunate embarrassment.

Don.

Now that is good idea as well. This suggestion will be passed right along.....I'll be sure of that. Thanks!!!

Jason
Old 07-22-2010, 11:07 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Redleg

Don.

I like it!
Old 07-22-2010, 11:23 AM

Redleg,you do give a good press release.

Quick Reply: Proud AMERICAN....but need some advice!!!