Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Progressive gives discount for allowing them to record your driving habits for 2 mont

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Progressive gives discount for allowing them to record your driving habits for 2 mont

Only available in Minnesota, but I think this is really interesting. They hook a dongle up to your OBD2 port and record how you drive for 2 months, then after determing your driving style, give a 0-25% discount. Sounds cool not only for the discount, but I'd be really curious to see my driving habits plotted and graphed.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/biztech...boxdriving.ap/
Old 11-16-2004, 07:37 PM

oh man,sounds too "Big Brother" to me,they'll know when u speed,brake hard,fast accell.and all that.Most of the time the "discount" only applies the comprehensive portion of your insurance,which really doesn't amount to that big of a savings. Just my.02
Old 11-16-2004, 08:32 PM

If you really want to know it go to sears and buy a lil deal called Carchip. I have one. Runs 100 or 150 ( 2 diffrent models) It will tell you hard brakes hard accels that you can set what it determins as hard. Gives you moderate braking, , records mileage, gives you a 30 second window before and after a fault code is activated. and you can chekkc that fault and clear it. it will graph it for ya as well. Plot your driving habbits over persay ammount of time ( which ive used to get out of a speeding tickket)

Basically it says amount of time drivin, takes a pic every 5 seconds with the miles drivin since the last start up So say i start the truck at mc ds and drive 30 miles, It will give you a pic of every 5 seconds of your current drive time, Miles Drivin and current speed. Basically what I had done is had my truck certified by the local police department and ran it down to the court with my print out and an iowa map to show them the distance where the violation took place.

The reason why this worked is you cant change the records. It is what it is you cant mess with it
Old 11-16-2004, 09:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They definitely wouldn't give me better rates if they new my driving habits.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:02 PM

If you want to save money call Geico (yup the "I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance" guys) switching from Progressive to Geico saved me $1000 a year on my truck and explorer
Old 11-16-2004, 10:31 PM

I say to HELLLLLLLLLL w/ Progressive. I was hit by an uninsured motorists 2 summers ago and had to claim it on my policy. After months of getting the run around about them trying to get the uninsured motorist to atleast pay my deductable, Progressive said that they couldn't get anything from them. Progressive then turned the claim over to a collection agency and after 6 months of not getting me my $, the collection agency gave up. I was screwed out of my $1000 deductable!!! I am stilled ticked off about it as HELLLLL when I think about it. I blame it all on Pro(screw-u)gressive. To HELLLLL w/ them and their company.

Sorry to point fingers, but if anyone knows how to help me out in my situation, please let me know.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:55 PM

What I find funny about Progressive and Geico is they both quoted me about $1000 bucks a year MORE than Allstate and AAA. About $1200 More than State Farm.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rabbit
What I find funny about Progressive and Geico is they both quoted me about $1000 bucks a year MORE than Allstate and AAA. About $1200 More than State Farm.
Same here.

phox
Old 11-17-2004, 07:21 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seems to me this little plan is also a good way to get your insurance premiums INCREASED!! If they discover that your driving habits are BAD they might just decide that you're not paying enough.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:08 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Before you send your money to Progressive, do a little research on what they do with their profits. The founder of Progressive is Peter B. Lewis, he was a big supporter of the America Coming Together PAC this election. NRA members, this guy is not your friend.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:15 PM

They might double or triple my insurance if they really knew what a fellow might do way up North where nobody is looking.... I will go by my long claims free record thanks. I only pay $800 a year full coverage and a $200 deductable as is. They can stay out of my port
Old 11-18-2004, 02:38 AM

Ewwww! No way. 99 percent of the time I wouldn't have a problem with them watching my driving habits, but man.... That other 1 percent where I'm late getting out of the house for work and have to kick the truck into warp speed. They'd probably cancel my friggin' insurance right then and there!
Old 11-18-2004, 11:21 AM

I'm not endorsing progressive, but think it's pretty cool. It is a VOLUNTARY thing.

I'd love to see my driving style plotted and have my insurance go down for it.

Also who would be dumb enough to drive like an idiot knowing the dongle was there.
If you can't control yourself knowing that they are monitoring you and you chose to have yourself monitored then you deserve to have your insurance go up. Again, they say that it is for discounts ONLY, they can't use it as a basis to have your insurance go up.

Finally, insurance differs very much driver to driver, state to state. e.g. Allstate wants MORE in 6 months than Progressive wants in a YEAR from me.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NRA members, I think AMICA or AIG gives you big discounts for being a member!! Pretty sure it's AIG.