Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Printer question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 05:33 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Printer question

I have a few questions for the computer gurus that lurk here.

At home I have a good HP 3 in 1 photo quality color ink jet printer. I can't use it on my laptop because there are no drivers available. It sort of prints (when it feels like it) with a driver work around. It works fine on my old desktop. The main problem is like all inkjets, the cartridges dry up if I do not use them often. With my traveling the printer sometimes sits unused for 3 or even 4 months. Every time I try to use it, I need to fight with the stupid thing. I try all the usual tricks like soaking the cartridge head in hot water etc, but most of the time I am forced to go and buy new cartridges. Consequently my print cost per page is very high.

Done lots of research on the internet but, cannot conclusively pin down if laser print cartridges have any problem printing after sitting idle for 3 or 4 months. It appears that they will be ok, but need some confirmation. I am considering buying a 3 in 1 (printer, scanner, copier) color laser printer. From what I can tell, while the initial purchase price may be higher, the overall cost and and cost per page is about the same or lower than an inkjet printer. Yes, a laser printer is probably overkill for a home printer, but considering my long times between uses, it may be practical.

So what do you computer gurus suggest that I do? Waste money on a new, cheap inkjet printer, or go for broke, spend more money up front and always be able to print, even after the printer sits for months.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:49 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I have an old black only laser probably 15 years old, when the kids were going to school and university is was used lots along with the color ink jet. The kids finished using it and moved out a long time ago 5 plus years. The ink jet is garbage but the laser is still using the last cartridge it was on when the kids last used it. We still use it once or twice a year and it works flawlessly every time. As the cartridge starts to get low you can give it a shake outside then reinstall it but the current cartridge is still going strong as it gets such little use.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I get used laser cartridges from my work. The one I'm using now has been in there for at least 10 years and i print a couple of pages a month. I have two used spared just as old and they are happy just waiting for their turn to step up to the job someday. Now that's black only. A color laser can be expensive to refill when that day come, but then again, it won't be dry when you need it and very well may last you 10 years before a refill is needed.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Your cheapo printer will cost you dearly in ink cartridges....

My HP eats em like candy, and around 50 bucks US every other month or so it really adds up...
Old 03-04-2013, 06:41 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow Stan. I always assumed you were to old to know how to use a printer and still relied on a scribe.
Yeah I know, Im being as helpful as normal.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:49 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Thanks guys for the answers so far. It looks like I will be buying a laser printer. Not fully decided yet, but leaning that way. Keep the answers coming.

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Your cheapo printer will cost you dearly in ink cartridges....

My HP eats em like candy, and around 50 bucks US every other month or so it really adds up...

I know, oh how well I know this. That is a big reason I am thinking about switching from ink jet to laser.

Originally Posted by Bark
Wow Stan. I always assumed you were to old to know how to use a printer and still relied on a scribe.
Yeah I know, Im being as helpful as normal.
***-U-ME............. need I say more?
Old 03-04-2013, 07:19 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Ink jets will dry up when standing. Even if you come back in a week or 2 and it isn't plugged up yet, the printer will detect the inactivity and run a cleaning cycle, which uses a lot of ink, just sprays it into an internal spittoon.

If you keep a dust cover on a laser, it'll last forever, or until a gazillion copies, whichever occurs first. Worst case on the cartridges is if it settles over time. Just take it out, gently shake it, and all is good.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:16 PM

OK, now that my brain is almost fried from looking at different brands and specs, have another question. As long as I have owned a printer, it has been a HP. Now that I look at the specs and prices of the other brands I am considering switching brands. Out of Epson, Brother, Lexmark, Canon and Samsung, are there any brands I need to avoid and why? How is support for all of the above if I have any problems? Is any brand of printer preferred over another?

I know that electronic gadgets like computers and printers become obsolete very fast, so would there be any advantage waiting for 3 months before buying?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not a computer guru, but we DO have several of each kind of printers. One of them is a high end laser printer. It works ok and nothing 'dries up' if we don't use it for an extended period. But when we have to replace print cartridges, they cost a small fortune no matter who makes them. I'm not all that thrilled with the print quality of the lasers either. They're 'nice', but nothing I'd want to print a picture of something with. The colors are by far richer and more true with the ink-jets we have.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My inkjet is kinda old but has tanks to refill every now and then.
I have an old laptop assigned to it for printing a test page once a week. I somehow manage to remember.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:37 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
We have both black and white, and color Brother printers going at work. HP drivers make me crazy. Main workhorse printer is a Toshiba doing about 150,000 pages a month.

For workstation printers, I like the Brothers the best.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:19 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Dad has had a brother forever, it seems to remain on the shelf hooked up, but I do not know how often it gets used....
Old 03-05-2013, 12:39 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will be good for a second.
I bought my mom an HP LaserJet Pro M451 DN Color Printer from Costco because it was under $400 bucks with coupon and they sell the toner cartridges at a "resonable" price.
She may go for many months without using it than want to print out a bunch of stuff for her groups so its good that the toner cartridges dont dry out for a long time.
When I first got it she was running Windows XP. Her new computer runs Windows 7. No problems with either one.
She has had it for around 10 months and still likes it.
She says she got around 4000 B/W copies out of the first cartridge but they were a combo of low res/normal and some high res copies.
She has only done around 1000 color copies so we dont know how far they might go.
If you have a Costco close to you they seem like a good deal because their return policy is great if you have a problem.
If not you may want to stick with the scribe.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:48 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Not sure if you know but the laser cartridges are refillable and if you could get the toner you could do it yourself easily.