Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

pressure washer won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pressure washer won't start

I have a Home Depot Ex-cell pressure washer with the Honda gx390 13 horse engine. I must have let it sit a couple of seasons and now cannot get it to start. Things I have done so far are:

1. Drained all the gas and replaced with fresh gas.
2. Checked for spark.
3. Took carb apart and cleaned out. ( I can't say I know exactly what i was doing but it did not look real bad. I cleaned all the residue up and blew through the holes (Jets?)
4. Used starter fluid in the air intake. ( Would run for a couple of seconds then just die out.)

That about covers it. I must have neglected to clear something out in the carb or the fuel line may be somewhat restrictive? Any ideas? If I get this thing running again I am going to remember to drain all the gas out of the carb before leaving it sit.

Thanks,

Randy.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:24 PM
Chapter President

Did you check the float needle, if it will run with starter fluid it sounds like you have a lack of fuel. I took apart a 2 stroke carb apart three times to get every little jet and port cleaned. Good luck!!
tom
Old 04-23-2006, 10:25 PM

Check to see that the fuel line from the tank to the carb is in good shape. Sometimes they deteriorate and lose the connection or leak.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:34 PM

Float Needle? Is that the pin that holds the float in place? If so, I cleaned that off and the float real well.

I am going to take the carb apart again and check the lines to make sure the gas is flowing properly.

Will report back. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:54 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Check the pickup screen in the tank. They can get varnished up and won't flow at all.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:55 PM

Got it started.

I think it ended up being the jet that goes from the bowl to the intake chamber of the carb. It was plugged i'm pretty sure and I ended up finding a very tiny paper clip to clean it out. Sorry if my technical terms are wrong. Maybe this was the float needle Tom was referring to? I tried to unscrew it first but it just spun and spun, is this normal because I could see threads in there. Also it appeared to have a bit of varnish or other deposits in there. Anyway she fired up first pull so that it really great. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Randy.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:38 AM

Needle jet. That's what I was going to recommend but it looks like you found it already.