Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: Which pellet do you prefer
Pointed
57.83%
Domed
19.28%
Wadcutter / Flathead
20.48%
Other (please specify)
2.41%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Preferred air rifle pellet

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Preferred air rifle pellet

Just wanted to get an idea on what pellet is a good choice overall for an air rifle. I have always like the pointed pellets myself. They work good on pests and rodents. If I missed a pellet please let me know and I will add it to the poll.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
Just wanted to get an idea on what pellet is a good choice overall for an air rifle. I have always like the pointed pellets myself. They work good on pests and rodents. If I missed a pellet please let me know and I will add it to the poll.
What's the target?
Old 06-01-2006, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The wad cutters really knock the crap out of varmints when fired at higher velocities.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Begle1
What's the target?
Anything.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Timberman
The wad cutters really knock the crap out of varmints when fired at higher velocities.

I agree here

it will shock them and harvest them cleanly, rather than penetrate them..

Rick
Old 06-02-2006, 12:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use wad cutters. If you really want to make a mess get some darts,
they make huge wounds!
Old 06-02-2006, 02:42 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
I agree here

Rick
Harvest ???
Old 06-02-2006, 06:30 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Harvest ???
IOW:
annihilate, asphyxiate, assassinate, blow away, bump off, butcher, chill, cream, croak, crucify, dispatch, do in*, drown, dump, electrocute, eradicate, erase*, execute, exterminate, extirpate, finish off, garrote, get*, guillotine, hang, hit*, ice, immolate, knock off, liquidate, lynch, massacre, murder, neutralize, obliterate, off*, poison, polish off*, put away*, rub out*, sacrifice, slaughter, slay, smother, snuff, strangle, suffocate, take, waste*, winterkill, wipe out*, zap*, bump off*, do in*, eliminate, execute, gun down, hit, kill, knock off*, liquidate, slaughter, slay, abate, abolish, abrogate, annihilate, blot out, call off, cancel, countermand, declare, delete, discharge, dissolve, efface, erase, expunge, invalidate, kill, negate, neutralize, nix, nullify, obliterate, quash, recall, repeal, rescind, retract, reverse, revoke, scrub*, undo, vacate, vitiate, wipe out*..............get the picture?......
Old 06-02-2006, 06:39 AM

I prefer domed pellets, they hold their velocity better out to longer ranges than wadcutters and still hit with a good walop. That and they are more accurate than pointed pellets out of my air rifle.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JD730
I prefer domed pellets, they hold their velocity better out to longer ranges than wadcutters and still hit with a good walop. That and they are more accurate than pointed pellets out of my air rifle.
I agree. Better accuracy at long ranges, for my gun anyway.

The best thing to do it get a pellet sampler. They usually have them with 3 different styles, about 30 pellets each. They shoot each one in your conditions and see which one suits you and your gun the best.

I ended up with the 5mm domed. It seems they cut through the air better. Pennitrate a few leaves better before deflecting, and were the most accurate.

Don't get frustrated if you are all over the paper. It takes time to get the barrel "seasoned" with lead. Seat the pellet the same way every time for better consistancy.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelhead
IOW:
annihilate, asphyxiate, assassinate, blow away, bump off, butcher, chill, cream, croak, crucify, dispatch, do in*, drown, dump, electrocute, eradicate, erase*, execute, exterminate, extirpate, finish off, garrote, get*, guillotine, hang, hit*, ice, immolate, knock off, liquidate, lynch, massacre, murder, neutralize, obliterate, off*, poison, polish off*, put away*, rub out*, sacrifice, slaughter, slay, smother, snuff, strangle, suffocate, take, waste*, winterkill, wipe out*, zap*, bump off*, do in*, eliminate, execute, gun down, hit, kill, knock off*, liquidate, slaughter, slay, abate, abolish, abrogate, annihilate, blot out, call off, cancel, countermand, declare, delete, discharge, dissolve, efface, erase, expunge, invalidate, kill, negate, neutralize, nix, nullify, obliterate, quash, recall, repeal, rescind, retract, reverse, revoke, scrub*, undo, vacate, vitiate, wipe out*..............get the picture?......
You forgot "take out".

Old 06-02-2006, 01:14 PM

Harvest ???

Just wanted to keep it clean, family site as i recall,

Rick
Old 06-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Ahhh, I got it.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
I agree here

Rick
Oh they'll fully, uh, penetrate the varmint. If you're using a sheridan/benjamin or one of the faster beemans or RWS air rifles at or above 800 fps, they'll blast right through most varmints up to like ground hog sized. Just transfer a lot more energy to the target, get more knockdown power. Crunches their heads instead of just punching a hole through it. Doesn't really matter though, all the pellets work fine at most air rifle ranges. The dome is probably the best compromise.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Timberman
Oh they'll fully, uh, penetrate the varmint. If you're using a sheridan/benjamin or one of the faster beemans or RWS air rifles at or above 800 fps, they'll blast right through most varmints up to like ground hog sized. Just transfer a lot more energy to the target, get more knockdown power. Crunches their heads instead of just punching a hole through it. Doesn't really matter though, all the pellets work fine at most air rifle ranges. The dome is probably the best compromise.
Very good point, its a waste of energy to blast through one. My RWS 48 zips them out over my chronograph at just over 1000 fps at 10 feet from the muzzle.

Anybody see or try these gold plated pellets from gamo? Someone gave me a couple to try, they look like a cross between a pointed and a domed pellet. I haven't had a chance to try any yet or chronograph them either.

If I think the air rifle isn't up to the task I have my other .17 cal rifle here too. 17 grain bullet at 2500 fps is very effective and if thats not enough theres always the 223.

Quick Reply: Preferred air rifle pellet