Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Power Outage

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 09:27 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Re:Power Outage

Here is something I have just read. A little long, but it seems to sum up what I have read elsewhere:

Blame Canada, No, New York, No, George Bush . . .

The blackout continues to dominate the news, as everybody is trying to make some political mileage out of an event that so far, nobody can definitively prove was even an accident, let alone explain the who, what, when, where, why and hows of the event or who dropped what ball.

Forty seconds or so after the lights went out, Canadian PM Jean Chretien took to the airwaves to deny any Canadian responsibility. It was a mysterious lightning strike on the New York side, Chretien explained. Not so, said New York. It was someplace ‘west’ of Ontario, explained George Pataki. Not us, said Michigan. Must be Ohio. No way, Ohio said. But one thing we knew immediately was that it WASN’T terrorists, somehow.

The White House assured us that terrorism had nothing to do with the blackout faster than Chretien identified a mysterious American lightning bolt.

So, if we eliminate Canada, New York, Michigan, Ohio and terrorism, that only leaves one culprit. George Bush. It only took Dan Rather three hours to reach that conclusion, since, sadly, CBS News in New York had its own power generator.

By 6:30 on Day One, Rather wanted to know if “any serious thought” had been given to canceling Bush’s appearance a few hours later at a San Diego fundraiser, “given the fact that so many millions of people are going through this in the Northeast?”

Evidently Bush should have grabbed his tool-belt, put on his hard hat, and gotten to work changing the fuse. Or something. Show some kind of panic – something.

Rather was also disturbed that Bush made his Chief-of-Staff, Andy Card, his “point man” in Washington to coordinate information for the traveling staff. Rather noted Card is “not an elected official” and quizzed reporter Bill Plante: “Where is Vice President Cheney and why wouldn’t he be in charge since the President is not in Washington?”

Rather seemed blissfully unaware that the Constitutional role of Vice President is to assume the reins of government when the president dies – not when he is out of town.

We talk about the liberal mainstream media, propaganda and agendas all the time. Here’s a prime example from ABC.

Ted Koppel: “One other happy note from a man who hasn’t had many happy notes these last few days. Governor Gray Davis of California announces that the power outages on the East Coast ‘pose no threat’ to the California power grid.

What's the next news flash? The governor of Utah announcing heavy rains in Georgia pose no threat to Salt Lake City?

Hillary Clinton and former Clinton Energy Secretary Bill Richardson made the rounds of the Sunday talk shows to explain what really went wrong.

Bill Richardson blamed the administration because America is a ‘global superpower with a Third World energy grid.’ Hillary Clinton managed to blame the administration for both the blackout AND California’s energy problems, telling MSNBC that, “Enron and other energy traders manipulated the market and caused, deliberately, shortages that were very difficult for the people of California and, in fact, I think some of the problems in California today could be traced” to that “deliberate manipulation.”

I see. The Bush administration, in office less than three years, is to blame for California's energy problems created during Democrat Gray Davis' six years in office. That sounds logical.

Clinton carried the same message, verbatim, to ABC, NBC and CBS, (but not Fox), saying the whole problem was because the Bush administration is in the pocket of the big utility companies and ‘hasn’t done enough’ to ‘modernize’ the grid.

Richardson covered the outlets Hillary couldn’t, appearing on Fox News to explain that the current administration ‘dropped the ball’ by not upgrading the grid, etc., etc.

Assessment:

The hypocrisy was enough to make one ill. Does anybody remember who was in power during the previous Great Blackouts of 1965 and 1977? Let me help. Lyndon Johnson, (D-Tx) and Jimmy Carter (D-Ga). Richardson complained that the grid hadn’t been upgraded in ‘forty years’ – but that somehow it was the fault of the Bush administration.

Bush had been in office for less than three months when the stock market bubble that built up during the Clinton administration burst. The USS Cole had just been attacked by al-Qaeda. A year later, three thousand Americans were killed in the September 11 attacks.

With all that going on, the former administration blames the current administration for not doing what it didn’t do either -- at a time when the biggest worry that government had was how to spend the so-called ‘peace dividend’ it inherited from the previous Bush administration after the Soviet Union collapsed.

What astonishes me is that these charges are being picked up and repeated as if they made any sense at all. And it demonstrates exactly what Hitler outlined in the Principle of the Big Lie. Make the lie outrageous enough, repeat it often enough, and eventually the masses will believe it.

"And they will deceive every one his neighbour, and will not speak the truth: they have taught their tongue to speak lies, and weary themselves to commit iniquity. Thine habitation is in the midst of deceit; through deceit they refuse to know me, saith the LORD. " (Jeremiah 9:5-6)
Old 08-18-2003, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Power Outage

what's really sad is with all the monitoring equiptment qnd protection schemes on the system it takes less than an hour to determine where a fault originated from ........................so that means sombody already knows and has known for a while where it started and they're not telling cause they don't wann be the ones at fault

and like equiptment failure (most likley cause) is anybody's fualt anyways

what I don't ubderstand is what happened to the islanding and load shedding schemes that should have been in place ..........they would have kept this to a relativly small outage (like maybe 1 state) if working properly ????