Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

potato gun recipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
potato gun recipes

any body got a good one? what sort of propelent is being used? thanx in advance
Old 01-11-2006, 04:23 PM

VO5 hair spray was the best for use and it beats starting fluid ,your going to shot your eye out . Do a search on web for potato guns and you will find all you need to know .
Old 01-11-2006, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive got one. I used I believe a 4" cleanout, reduced to 1 1/2" or so, then however long of a barrel you want. I usually use hairspray, but the only thing is that it makes everything get sticky inside, such as your sparker, which is a camp fire starter. I have a buddy that uses propane, and it works well. Not too good of luck with either (starting fluid) Good luck...
Old 01-11-2006, 04:32 PM

My next door neighbors in the dorms in college had one that they fired down the hallway! I am trying to remeber what it looked like...

It had a 4" Thick wall PVC screw cap on a piece of 4" pvc about 12" long. This made a combustion chamber. Then the had a 4" to 2" reducer. Then they had a piece of 2" PVC as a barrel. they had a Coleman striker flint on the combustion chamber, and used a dowel as a ramrod. They would insert a spud slightly larger than the barrel so that it would cut the spud and get a good seal. Then they would spray a shot of ether (starting fluid) in the chamber and close the screw cap. Then they would ram the spud down the barrel. Then they would aim and twist the striker and it would fire.

I remember the first time I heard it I though someone had blown themselves up!

This post is only a record of something I remember--It should in no way be considered specifications or plans to build such a weapon. Any injuries that occur because someone built such a weapon are solely the responsibility of the builder/shooter.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:43 PM

i have one thats 4" to 2" with a coleman striker. i use the cheapest hairspray i can find.....i like limes the best foir ammo, but potatoes and onions are good also.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:49 PM

We had better luck spraying the propellant down the barrel then installing the tater. It compresse the mixture some this way. Another thing we did was add a coupling to the end of the barrel to help keep it from splitting. The best one we made was out of 3" tubing reduced to a 1.5" barrel. That thing fired so good that it blew the barbque ignitor out of the end cap! Good luck and be safe.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:20 PM
P.J
Banned

I'm not trying to get anyone killed here, but I guy that used to work for my Father in Law had a wicked gun, he used a squirt bottle with Lacquer Thinner and hairspray. Couple of spray's down the tube, load the barrel, he used a peizo(sp?) BBQ lighter.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:20 PM

Best fuel, The original 3 in 1 oil, the stuff in the little thin can with the dripper top

Rick
Old 01-11-2006, 05:23 PM

Air works well.

(Original post attempt was "Air" however I see someone changed the minimum post length to 10 characters )
Old 01-11-2006, 05:24 PM
Banned

Propane powered
Old 01-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Banned

ha just got an idea...... for the get togethers we should all bring our spud guns, mine goes everywhere with me but I don't always have the aquanet or spuds.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been wanting to build one too! I wanted to make a pumpkin chucker.

I was going to make mine 3-pt hitch, and use a 4 foot piece of 8" well casing for the barrel. I just don't know what to use for the combustion chamber.

A small tractor (like 45hp) should be able to handle the recoil?

I heard you can launch an 8" pumpkin like 1/4 mile.

comments?
Old 01-11-2006, 06:14 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by TIMMY22
I've been wanting to build one too! I wanted to make a pumpkin chucker.

I was going to make mine 3-pt hitch, and use a 4 foot piece of 8" well casing for the barrel. I just don't know what to use for the combustion chamber.

A small tractor (like 45hp) should be able to handle the recoil?

I heard you can launch an 8" pumpkin like 1/4 mile.

comments?
Yes, very popular in these parts. I think they can get them out there about 4000 feet or so. Two years ago they almost hit a church on an adjoining property.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:19 PM

i saw a program on tv about a pumpkin chunkin contest, there was an air cannon that fired one, and they showed the replay in slow motion, and holy geez that cannon shook like a snake, but i thought it was pretty cool.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this one has a 10" barrel and like 100 ft long.

i want one that's 4 or 5 ft

you could make one that would connect into your 2" receiver on your truck also.

The biggest thing is having the mass behind the gun (tractor or truck) so when it goes off at a 42 degree angle (i think this gives the greatest distance).

also, i would want a long cord so i could hide behind something in case the combustion chamber explodes.

http://www.geocities.com/zbig10inch/

Quick Reply: potato gun recipes