Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Pool Police are Coming

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chaikwa
Clowns... well, it's 'clowns' like me that have to go into burning houses that are structurally deficient to begin with because of the codes allowing 'engineered wood' to be used in their construction. Those lovely engineered products fail from heat alone and long before they are subjected to any actual flame impingement. So I don't care if you have to spend an extra 30 grand to sprinkle your house if it helps protect ME while I'm crawling around on your 'glue and wood chips' particle board engineered wood beams that support the floor and walls under the equally deficient, stapled wood truss roof while looking for the kid that didn't get out in time because someone disabled the smoke alarm system or took the batteries out of the smoke detectors.
Actually I am member of a rural fire Dept. so I have been in a few buring houses/businesses. So I have a good idea what goes on. I just don't agree on the sprinkler for a house. May be a better Idea to make everyone buy a new furnace since in my area that is where most of the fires start.

As far as the AFCI's I needed 11 of them. The combination of those plus the child proof outlets and other things substantialy added to the cost of the electrical system.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
As far as the AFCI's I needed 11 of them. The combination of those plus the child proof outlets and other things substantialy added to the cost of the electrical system.
So you must have a frigging Manson. I have 6 GFCI circuits in my house, 1 for each bathroom, 1 for the kitchen and 1 one the garage and outside outlets. Total cost was an extra $60, I think it may send me to the poor house now that I added it up.

If you are not running a child care service where is it required that you have child proof outlets?
Old 08-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RAMRODD
Actually I am member of a rural fire Dept. so I have been in a few buring houses/businesses. So I have a good idea what goes on. I just don't agree on the sprinkler for a house. May be a better Idea to make everyone buy a new furnace since in my area that is where most of the fires start.

Well, I guess I'm done with this one...

Arguing with a firefighter who doesn't see the value in a proven, cost effective life safety device is like removing asbestos from a hospice facility. Both are a waste of time.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:28 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CamperAndy
So you must have a frigging Manson. I have 6 GFCI circuits in my house, 1 for each bathroom, 1 for the kitchen and 1 one the garage and outside outlets. Total cost was an extra $60, I think it may send me to the poor house now that I added it up.

If you are not running a child care service where is it required that you have child proof outlets?
Andy,

Ground Fault and Arc fault are two different types of circuit protection. AFCI's turn 'off' with an arc not just a ground or neutral fluctuation. They are way more expensive and soon to be included for every circuit. It will add a significant cost, for not much additional safety.

As far a s sprinkler systems, I was told by an insurance agent that damage would not be covered for an accidental initiation of the system. Any water damage from the system that was not initiated by fire would be my fault. Next house I build will have halon in the kitchen though. But where I live, the fire department only gets there in time to sweep up the bodies anyway...

On edit, Child proof outlets are the new thing to stop kids from sticking things into outlets, and they too are going to be required. I for one watched as my boy taunted me with sticking a knife into an outlet. I told him not to twice, then when he did, and got bit, he learned his lesson. he actually listened to me for awhile after that...
Old 08-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Banned

Jeff in his first reference he wrote GFCI the second time he changed it to AFCI. All the other references to the safety circuit in the thread were to GFCI. I will admit it is hard to keep on track when the thread changes course in the middle.

You also may have a hard time getting a Halon system as Halon is a type of CFC and not very available, especially in a residential setting.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
Well, I guess I'm done with this one...

Arguing with a firefighter who doesn't see the value in a proven, cost effective life safety device is like removing asbestos from a hospice facility. Both are a waste of time.
Thus is about where do you draw the line what is the next requirement that will be added next??
Old 08-09-2010, 06:19 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

what code requires AFCI? Atleast that isn't in Article 500
Old 08-09-2010, 07:39 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Don't quote me but I believe it is UBC 2010. However, most larger municipalities, especially those with strong electrical worker unions, make local restrictions and regulations.