Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Pool Police are Coming

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RAMRODD
I just built a new house and I had to have those fancy $40 gfci breakers which love to trip when you plug in a power tool. Then I had to put in those stupid child proof outlets, Now its a freaking job just to plug something into a outlet.
So what you're saying is, you are apparently 'smart' enough to make enough money that enables you to build a new house, but you can't figure out how to change the GFCI breakers over to regular breakers in the areas that they don't work well in after the inspector leaves. You work for the gub'mint, don't you?
Old 08-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chaikwa
So what you're saying is, you are apparently 'smart' enough to make enough money that enables you to build a new house, but you can't figure out how to change the GFCI breakers over to regular breakers in the areas that they don't work well in after the inspector leaves. You work for the gub'mint, don't you?
LMAO.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
See why we dont let you out of the BR too often.

Funny though.... Its what I would do for sure. Just a shame that you have to spend money and then trash it to make stuff work right.

Much like the Bluetec system I despise so.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dislike rules and taxes as much as the next guy but unfortunately building permits and inspections are necessary to protect people from their own and others ignorance or stupidity. Lenders and insurance brokers insist on it.
Years ago I went out with a real estate appraiser and was appalled at what I saw. One brand new house built by a supposedly reputable contractor, had never been lived in, was so bad he put in his estimate subject to an engineers report.
If you build a cardboard house and it burns down killing you and your family it becomes my problem too paying for the fire department, the police, the coroner, the lawyers and judges at the inquest not to mention the increased insurance costs brought on by your brother's lawsuit against the county that let you build it, the manufacturer of the cardboard and the forestry company that harvested the raw material.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:44 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

SEARS is issuing permits now? THAT'S reassuring!
The guy explained to me that Sears does it as a "favor" for their customers as it saves you from having to go to the Solono County offices to get the permit. Thanks a lot big brother!!!

Originally Posted by wyododge
Kinda off topic here, but just a warning...
SOMEONE HAS BROKEN INTO THE FURBALLS COMPUTER AND IS IMPERSONATING HIM!!!
Ive got dust bunnies under the sofa that could do a good job of impersonating "him".
Old 08-07-2010, 05:27 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RoyM
I dislike rules and taxes as much as the next guy but unfortunately building permits and inspections are necessary to protect people from their own and others ignorance or stupidity. Lenders and insurance brokers insist on it. Years ago I went out with a real estate appraiser and was appalled at what I saw. One brand new house built by a supposedly reputable contractor, had never been lived in, was so bad he put in his estimate subject to an engineers report.

Where was the building inspector on this project?

This is a two way street.. codes and enforcement is a necessary evil, but the enforcers should be held accountable too.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bark
Ive got dust bunnies under the sofa that could do a good job of impersonating "him".
I'm hurt.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:09 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
This is a two way street.. codes and enforcement is a necessary evil, but the enforcers should be held accountable too.
Yup. Its like the permit for the water heater replacement I was talking about. You pay the money for the permit and ----nothing. They just take your money. No inspection or anything (not that I want them inspecting but its the principle).

I'm hurt.
It was supposed to be a compliment but didnt come out right.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:00 AM

Oh where to start a fire saftey instructor recomending removal of required device to prevent a fire

Obviously if I am capable of wiring a house to code I am abel to remove a breaker question is if my house would burn down and the insurance company could see I removed this breaker what would happen then?
The problem is clowns like you that keep pushing these additional requirements down our throats adding to the cost of construction $2500 here $5000 here adds up. Next thing you know guys like you can't afford a new house

Fire saftey instructor.... sounds like a Govenment job to me

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
LMAO.
Andy I pray for you!!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Banned

Andy I pray for you!!
No need, he struck a funny bone and I just wanted to let him know. Also you know GFCI breakers/outlets are not about fire prevention but personal electrocution protection.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Oh where to start a fire saftey instructor recomending removal of required device to prevent a fire
Well actually, I was trying to appeal to your side of common sense. You and I both know the reason for those breakers are to keep someone from getting zapped in a location that has a presence, or the potential of the presence of water. Yes, a side benefit is fire safety, but the main purpose is prevention of electrocution. And I'm no electrical genius, but I didn't *think* the National Electrical Code requires GFCI breakers on EVERY circuit. I could be wrong tho, but I DO know that the new houses I've inspected for fire safety in Massachusetts don't have GFCI breakers on each circuit, and I'm pretty sure Mass is the leader in senseless over-regulation. I was thinking that it must be a local requirement by an over-zealous electrical inspector/board, which is probably voted into their position. So what I was suggesting is to remove them from the areas that have no potential for water presence and possibly replace the people responsible for the inane rule at the next election interval.

The problem is clowns like you that keep pushing these additional requirements down our throats adding to the cost of construction $2500 here $5000 here adds up. Next thing you know guys like you can't afford a new house
Clowns... well, it's 'clowns' like me that have to go into burning houses that are structurally deficient to begin with because of the codes allowing 'engineered wood' to be used in their construction. Those lovely engineered products fail from heat alone and long before they are subjected to any actual flame impingement. So I don't care if you have to spend an extra 30 grand to sprinkle your house if it helps protect ME while I'm crawling around on your 'glue and wood chips' particle board engineered wood beams that support the floor and walls under the equally deficient, stapled wood truss roof while looking for the kid that didn't get out in time because someone disabled the smoke alarm system or took the batteries out of the smoke detectors.

Fire saftey instructor.... sounds like a Govenment job to me
Nope. Totally private, non-profit, 501 (c) (3) organization that is funded mostly out of my pocket to the tune of about 18 grand a year. And before you even think it, as an officer of that non-profit I cannot receive any compensation for anything I do in relation to said non-profit. I make my money welding, (which is almost equally non-profit).
Old 08-08-2010, 11:03 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

GFCI isn't required on all circuits, its required on any circuit outdoors, in a garage, or room where water is present (bathrooms, kitchen, laundry room, etc)
If a power tool is throwing the breaker, its time to reconsider the power tools your using. yes, gfci are a bit sensitive on ground fault current, but a tool in good condition shouldn't have any current on the ground line.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Urban Legend

Well actually, I was trying to appeal to your side of common sense. You and I both know the reason for those breakers are to keep someone from getting zapped in a location that has a presence, or the potential of the presence of water. Yes, a side benefit is fire safety, but the main purpose is prevention of electrocution. And I'm no electrical genius, but I didn't *think* the National Electrical Code requires GFCI breakers on EVERY circuit. I could be wrong tho, but I DO know that the new houses I've inspected for fire safety in Massachusetts don't have GFCI breakers on each circuit, and I'm pretty sure Mass is the leader in senseless over-regulation. I was thinking that it must be a local requirement by an over-zealous electrical inspector/board, which is probably voted into their position. So what I was suggesting is to remove them from the areas that have no potential for water presence and possibly replace the people responsible for the inane rule at the next election interval.

Clowns... well, it's 'clowns' like me that have to go into burning houses that are structurally deficient to begin with because of the codes allowing 'engineered wood' to be used in their construction. Those lovely engineered products fail from heat alone and long before they are subjected to any actual flame impingement. So I don't care if you have to spend an extra 30 grand to sprinkle your house if it helps protect ME while I'm crawling around on your 'glue and wood chips' particle board engineered wood beams that support the floor and walls under the equally deficient, stapled wood truss roof while looking for the kid that didn't get out in time because someone disabled the smoke alarm system or took the batteries out of the smoke detectors.

Nope. Totally private, non-profit, 501 (c) (3) organization that is funded mostly out of my pocket to the tune of about 18 grand a year. And before you even think it, as an officer of that non-profit I cannot receive any compensation for anything I do in relation to said non-profit. I make my money welding, (which is almost equally non-profit).
Now you did it ….you went and stirred the fur ball up.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:41 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

They way I see it... ifsomebody is making my toast and has wet hands... they DESERVE to be electrocuted.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfoot
Now you did it ….you went and stirred the fur ball up.
Uhh ohhh

Now the......

Fur is gonna fly!

Quick Reply: Pool Police are Coming