Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Pool Police are Coming

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:59 AM
I think I can... I think...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
personally I feel that if I want to build a cardboard house and live in it it's my right to do so!!!
If it collapses or catches fire and kills me it's my problem.
All of this has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with control!!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by capt.Ron
personally I feel that if I want to build a cardboard house and live in it it's my right to do so!!!
You forgot the key word ((((MONEY))))
Old 08-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
Just throwing another log on the fire buddy..

Any new Gen. set's on the ranch yet?
Not yet. Still working 7's, but hopefully we will get it in and set up buy Hurricane Season 2025

Well you forget, lawyers got involved because those with no common sense sued someone with common sense.

Then came the codes.

I agree with codes (some) cause they do have good intentions in place (some). I guess its more so for the public sector, like making sure bridges, roadways, pipelines and such are up to standards.

For the private sector, if you're stupid enough to install a fire place in a paper mache house, then maybe you should get a little burned.

Now I know I said earlier about the housing code, but come on, common sense should trump all. If you are not smart enough or educated enough or skilled enough to build your shelter, then hire someone who is, and let them build something sound. This should be standard practice and there not even be a need for a code.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:47 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My wife worked for the County Ag department in Contra Costa County, CA. They have better quality satellite than what is available publicly from Google Earth. They check for building without permits, they check for Marijuana grows, several other things.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They have those codes here, newly implemented recently. Its a joke, and nothing but a money maker for the local/state. They are running out of ways to tax you so they have more to spend...point blank.

They had been fighting about it locally, didnt hear how it turned out yet though. You have to have an inspecter come out, if you....change a window.....hot water tank.....etc.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:27 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Id pay them in hot lead....

Somebody, somewhere, has got to take a stand.

Enough is ENOUGH!
nah... as long as its someone else's problem, no one will do anything.

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
So if you know that a permit is required to build something then get the permit. Would you prefer no building codes at all?
my step dad completely remodeled his house. fully up to code, licensed electricians, everything (he's a plumber so had the friends).
He closed in one side of his carport and got hit with a fine for no building permit. $100 worth of materials cost him another $150 for permitting.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, not entirely. It'll probably kill a few firefighters as well. In fact, I know of more than a few that HAVE been killed this way. Not to mention the homeowners kids, which is why I'm in the business I'm in, (fire safety instruction).

For the most part, I agree with you. Everything is WAY over-regulated. But them there's the flip-side too. There are numerous battles going on across the country right now regarding the installation of home sprinkler systems. I don't agree that they should be installed in existing dwellings, but they should be installed in all new construction. They DO save lives, not to mention property, and contrary to popular belief, they are not cost prohibitive. 5 grand will fully sprinkler a decent sized house. When you're looking at spending 100 grand or more to build a new house, you can't tell me another 5 grand is going to break you. If it does, you have no business building a new house in the first place!

In Massachusetts, just about everything you do to your property will require a permit; black topping the driveway, re-shingling the roof, replacing windows or doors, even tearing down the front steps will require a permit. WAAAAY over-board if you ask me!
Old 08-07-2010, 12:36 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by chaikwa
It'll probably kill a few firefighters as well. Not to mention the homeowners kids, just about everything you do to your property will require a permit; black topping the driveway, re-shingling the roof, replacing windows or doors, even tearing down the front steps will require a permit. WAAAAY over-board if you ask me!
I have to agree with you on that. As for the over-board part::
I recently ran into that problem at my parents house in CA. Their electric hot water heater croaked. I went to Sears to buy an exact replacement. They wanted me to pay for a permit for the installation. After some haggling the guy mentioned that I didn’t have to actually pay for the permit until the unit got installed and kind of rolled his eyes. I got the hint and said that we were buying the unit as a spare and would pay the permit when we installed it. Amazing!!!
Old 08-07-2010, 01:36 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Unfortunately the authors of these regulations could give a rats behind about firefighters Scott. And they even less interested in the 'safety' of the public. They are in it for the money and the power. Plain and simple.

But they keep getting re-elected, so more power to em.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bark
I have to agree with you on that. As for the over-board part::
I recently ran into that problem at my parents house in CA. Their electric hot water heater croaked. I went to Sears to buy an exact replacement. They wanted me to pay for a permit for the installation.
SEARS is issuing permits now? THAT'S reassuring!

Originally Posted by wyododge
Unfortunately the authors of these regulations could give a rats behind about firefighters Scott. And they even less interested in the 'safety' of the public. They are in it for the money and the power. Plain and simple.

But they keep getting re-elected, so more power to em.
You got that right!
Old 08-07-2010, 06:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
makes me want to paint a 24 foot blue circle in my yard.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ChrisLib
makes me want to paint a 24 foot blue circle in my yard.
You'll need a permit for that.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
You'll need a permit for that.

Figures
Old 08-07-2010, 07:23 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

You got that right!
Kinda off topic here, but just a warning...

SOMEONE HAS BROKEN INTO THE FURBALLS COMPUTER AND IS IMPERSONATING HIM!!!
Old 08-07-2010, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, not entirely. It'll probably kill a few firefighters as well. In fact, I know of more than a few that HAVE been killed this way. Not to mention the homeowners kids, which is why I'm in the business I'm in, (fire safety instruction).

For the most part, I agree with you. Everything is WAY over-regulated. But them there's the flip-side too. There are numerous battles going on across the country right now regarding the installation of home sprinkler systems. I don't agree that they should be installed in existing dwellings, but they should be installed in all new construction. They DO save lives, not to mention property, and contrary to popular belief, they are not cost prohibitive. 5 grand will fully sprinkler a decent sized house. When you're looking at spending 100 grand or more to build a new house, you can't tell me another 5 grand is going to break you. If it does, you have no business building a new house in the first place!

In Massachusetts, just about everything you do to your property will require a permit; black topping the driveway, re-shingling the roof, replacing windows or doors, even tearing down the front steps will require a permit. WAAAAY over-board if you ask me!
OK a sprrinkler system for a house is about the dumbis't thing I have heard of lately. I just built a new house and I had to have those fancy $40 gfci breakers which love to trip when you plug in a power tool. Then I had to put in those stupid child proof outlets, Now its a freaking job just to plug something into a outlet.

This home electrical improvment package cost a extra $2500 your saying a $5000 sprinkler system should be required. Stuff starts to add up. Very few houses ever catch fire and ever burn down. And I had no interest installing a sprinkler system!!!
A city not to far from me requires the fire detectors be tested by a inspector. Now a electricion has to buy a can of fire detector smoke and while the inspector is there spray a little on each detector to set it off while the inspector stands there. only charges 150/200 a house. Don't you love progress

Quick Reply: Pool Police are Coming