Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Pool Police are Coming

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Pool Police are Coming

Goggle Earth is now being used to track down illegal pools that have no permit. Our government is working overtime to find ways to take your hard earned money from you. Get the permit or pay a hefty fine.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Unper...h-150180.shtml
Old 08-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Id pay them in hot lead....

Somebody, somewhere, has got to take a stand.

Enough is ENOUGH!
Old 08-04-2010, 10:39 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The officials say that the only reason for the move is safety" Yeah, right... Kids keep drowning in permited pools also.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:07 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
For a while, in the Bay Area, they were trying to get the mail carriers to report construction to the building department. That idea went nowhere fast.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:50 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Just think of all the tax dollars they saved by not having to rent a plane or a helicopter to gather this info and find these perpetrators. An excellent example of efficient government.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:52 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigIron70
Our government is working overtime to find ways to take your hard earned money from you. Get the permit or pay a hefty fine.
So if you know that a permit is required to build something then get the permit. Would you prefer no building codes at all?
Old 08-05-2010, 06:24 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Or maybe just vote the idiots out who are imposing all of these ridiculous regulations and fees. Those people are getting everything they deserve. They are reaping what they sowed... Nothin but nothin but stupid!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
So if you know that a permit is required to build something then get the permit. Would you prefer no building codes at all?
No, codes and standards are needed and have their place, but don't tell me how to build my hay barn in the middle of my pasture and then impose ridiculous permit fees and inspection fees on me and tell me I don't know what I'm doing.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:22 AM

NO building permit's required where I live. And yet we manage to get by
Old 08-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RAMRODD
NO building permit's required where I live. And yet we manage to get by
Well maybe once you get neighbors that get close enough to see each other then they may start think about them.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
No, codes and standards are needed and have their place, but don't tell me how to build my hay barn in the middle of my pasture and then impose ridiculous permit fees and inspection fees on me and tell me I don't know what I'm doing.
Well of course everyone can build as well as you so there should be no concern that just maybe you may sell one day and then when the next guy moves in he may actually expect the barn to stay standing when the loft is full.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:49 AM

Well of course everyone can build as well as you so there should be no concern that just maybe you may sell one day and then when the next guy moves in he may actually expect the barn to stay standing when the loft is full.
Andy,

Are you implying that my barn is gonna fall in?

Everything we build is out of pipe. Dad welded for 17 years, has been an Inspector for 23 years. Ive welded all my life, taught by Dad. Im a Certified Welding Inspector myself.

I dont need someone to come out and give me their blessing on what they deem is an acceptable structure.

Now, houses I can see the point in having a code. You dont want someone just throwing up anything and calling it a home, but where does it stop.

Whats next. Dog house inspections. Chicken Coop Code. Horses and Urban Developement.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:14 AM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Andy,

Are you implying that my barn is gonna fall in?

Everything we build is out of pipe. Dad welded for 17 years, has been an Inspector for 23 years. Ive welded all my life, taught by Dad. Im a Certified Welding Inspector myself.

I dont need someone to come out and give me their blessing on what they deem is an acceptable structure.

Now, houses I can see the point in having a code. You dont want someone just throwing up anything and calling it a home, but where does it stop.

Whats next. Dog house inspections. Chicken Coop Code. Horses and Urban Developement.
Blake,

How many C/O's have you put on your dads welds?

I hear you on the quality of work... CO has a case going to court where a plumber installed the flu for a heater incorrectly.. this allowed CO to escape and killed a family of four.. Both the plumber and the building inspector who passed his faulty work is being sued..

This case could have some interesting ramifications to it. Our small town is known for bringing in out-of-town contractors for it larger municipal projects. all of these projects requires remodels with 2-5 yrs... Where was the building inspector??
Old 08-05-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
Blake,

How many C/O's have you put on your dads welds?

Youre just begging to get a something thrown at me huh....

Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
I hear you on the quality of work... CO has a case going to court where a plumber installed the flu for a heater incorrectly.. this allowed CO to escape and killed a family of four.. Both the plumber and the building inspector who passed his faulty work is being sued..

This case could have some interesting ramifications to it. Our small town is known for bringing in out-of-town contractors for it larger municipal projects. all of these projects requires remodels with 2-5 yrs... Where was the building inspector??
I agree with you on that. Quality work is a must. I was taught long ago to do it right the first time and have a little pride in my work.

My thing is that is is absurd when you are forced to follow ridiculous codes that have no bearing or relevance and are enforced by an idiot who had no clue how to read a spec, much less apply it to the situation.

Now this is coming from someone who works on a daily basis with codes. API 1104 is my Bible. Ive worked D1.1, B31.3, and many Euro codes. I'm certainly not against regulation and against code. They are needed and are for the better good when properly imposed and properly executed.

Its the bunk codes and the idiot enforcement that gets under my skin.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:50 AM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Youre just begging to get a something thrown at me huh....

Just throwing another log on the fire buddy..

Any new Gen. set's on the ranch yet?

Quick Reply: Pool Police are Coming