Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Political Correctness...What next?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 04:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chrisreyn, I have found your posts both fascinating and sad. Bigotry and racism work both ways my friend. Your own reference to having white wife is proof of that! NOT OUR PROBLEM! You have to live with her not us!! LOL Lighten up bud!
I have no doubt that you were discriminated against as a child and as a man. Not by me or anyone on these forums! No one here intended to offend. It is not in their hearts or in their thoughts. If it were I would not be here.

Rick
P.S. thank you for your service to your country both here and abroad.
Old 08-13-2005, 05:40 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Originally posted by runamuk
. Bigotry and racism work both ways my friend. Your own reference to having white wife is proof of that! NOT OUR PROBLEM! You have to live with her not us!!

Hmm..... maybe I have some self examination to do as well....yea I probably do have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about this issue, and I will apologize to anyone I came across as insulting or unfriendly towards. I dont for a minute think of any one on this board as a "bad person" or that they are not entitled to thier opinions.
Discussions should be an exchange of ideas and thoughts with the intent to expand our views and intellects, even if they do become heated at times. If I failed to stay in that vein, then I have let myself down.....
Old 08-13-2005, 09:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Chrisreyn
Hmm..... maybe I have some self examination to do as well....yea I probably do have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about this issue, and I will apologize to anyone I came across as insulting or unfriendly towards. I dont for a minute think of any one on this board as a "bad person" or that they are not entitled to thier opinions.
Discussions should be an exchange of ideas and thoughts with the intent to expand our views and intellects, even if they do become heated at times. If I failed to stay in that vein, then I have let myself down.....
The very idea that you suggest "We all need to pause and refect at times" and look at our stands in life is a sign of WISDOM & MATURITY. The idea of "expanding our views and intellect" is a sign of LEADERSHIP. You need to pass them on. I think the key is to educate people of the indian ways & culture. Don't get caught up in the lastest "politially correct" ways to attack main stream America. We are all just trying to get along. No one, not one player (or parent), who joins a team with the "Indian" logo or mascot means any disrespect. Can't you see they (in their own way) are trying to memorialize and keep alive the spirit of Indian culture. Your educating them to your heritage is the best way to deal with misconceptions. They are there to play a game, to join a team, to fit in, not to insult your culture.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by Begle1
I fail to see; I have been struggling with words for 30 minutes here typing and retyping paragraphs at a time merely attempting to logically refine a definition of offense and so far I am failing utterly.

And so I here resign; What is the problem with being offended?
One of the best posts I have read on this site, and from Begal1 no less!

To add to the thought (if I may be so bold) ; Why do we need to take "action" because someone is offended?
Old 08-13-2005, 01:22 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Geico266
One of the best posts I have read on this site, and from Begal1 no less!

(It's the closest thing to a flipping-off smily that we have, please understand... )
Old 08-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of good reasoning and valid points have been mad in the numerous posts. Come to think of it none were wrong if taken in their proper context, yet somehow a division still exists even though everybody is on the same side. Perhaps something was missed, well I think so anyway. Please bear with me, maybe we can get to feel as close to each other as we really are.

Political correctness is bad. It is bad because it is NOT sincere, it glosses over true feelings thus allowing the underlying resentments fester. It is wrong because it is used to “right” with words deeds that only other deeds can make right.

Bigotry and discrimination is the source of more evil than anything else in the entire world. Without a question many, far too many people have suffered wrongs, even here in our own country, yet all those wrongs can not and should not be all lumped into the same basket. The plight of the American Indians nearly exterminated, the abduction and enslavement of Africans can not be equated to name callings in school yards, or even loosing opportunities in life. Not that those are not bad or damaging but still. And yes, prejudices and racism are not directed only by a majority against a minority. No this is a broad two way boulevard unfortunately still well traveled. That is a sad reality. Political correctness only tries to sweep it under the rug. It is also a reality that by far the worse deeds are history. They can not be undone. The only thing we can all do is to guard so that they are not repeated. The sense of entitlements based on those wrongs is just another product political correctness and greed. Far too many people are trying to profit from such sad episodes. Money paid, and other social and economical giveaways do nothing more than cheapen the true sufferings of those in whose names, generations later some expect freebies. Today more that ever before the bonds that some people feel that tie them down, are self imposed. No we did not achieve perfection, but we have never been more open either. In many cases it may still be difficult to overcome the feelings of being discriminated against, but those who feel that way must still either overcome, prevail and integrate or fall way side. It may not seem as fair or right but none the less that is also a reality the same way as gravity. It just is, and no matter what, no man can make it go away. All people of this country and of the world must keep pace with mankind’s progress, whether it is regarded as good or bad, it is progress and nothing can stop it. All life must continuously adapt or go the way of the dinosaurs.

It is our duty as decent beings to acknowledge suffering where it is real, dispel it where it is perceived and eliminate it wherever we can. It is also imperative on the parts of those who truly suffered to accept the olive branch when extended to them, and not to expect anything else but understanding and respect from those that did not cause their suffering.

Peter
Old 08-14-2005, 03:04 PM

Sorry Begal1, Peter just took your place as the best post I've ever read.

The NCAA has decided Florida State can no longer use the Seminoles as their mascot. Even though the Seminole Tribal Counsel approved allowing Florida State to use their name as a mascot, and that 83% of Native Americans approve of allowing sports teams to use "indian names or words" as mascots.

http://www.seminoletribe.com/

So what we have here is, again, a bunch of white people telling the American Indians what to do and what is best for them. Some things never change.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:24 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Peter, great post.