Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Police "saftey checks" in new york

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Police "saftey checks" in new york

I moved to new york state last october, the state troppers here, set up these "saftey check" where they line both sides of a two lane road or some other choke point with troppers, lights a blazing and stop each and every car that comes through in either direction and check for your seat belt and saftey inspection and ask you where your headed this evening, morning, today whatever and it happens about once a month.

What is that about, I asked one of the guys at work about it and he said they've been doing it for as long as he's been driving. (think flinestones)

I am not in NY city not even really close to the city - closer to albany. Greene county is where I live now and I work in poughkeepsie.

Should I be as outraged as I am, I think saying that it makes my blood boil would not be an understatement and not much makes me angry.

What do you guys think
Old 09-27-2004, 01:56 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nothing new there, happens all around the country. They call them different things, but they look for license infractions and drunk drivers as well as safety issues.

They are kind of a pain in the rear but as long as you are legal, as you of course should be, no problem
Old 09-27-2004, 02:04 PM

that's not the point - the point is they are intrussive and should be stopped.

In the last 5 years I have lived in 4 states, well 3 states, I lived in Kentucky twice, and have never seen this behavior from the police.

I moved from Texas to Kentucky to Oregon(my new favorite) to Kentucky to New york.

the last move was for a job the previous move was for a lack of job and the first two.... pure craziness I guess.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I dont think this is anything new. They (the local law enforcement) have been doing this for years in every state... it may even go back as far as the pro-habiting days when they were looking for boot leggers.... perhaps, even before that.

Intrusive? Perhaps. But, much like Top said, if your not hiding anything, there should be no need for any worries.

Rich
Old 09-27-2004, 02:29 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by wood_n_soldier
[B]that's not the point - the point is they are intrussive and should be stopped.
That is your opinion. I personally like the fact that in North Carolina, those checkpoints pull drunken idiots off the streets almost every time they put one up. Not just a couple either, but lots of them.

What is your reasoning for your statement, that "They should be stopped."? Is it because it's an inconvenience for you?

In the last 5 years I have lived in 4 states, well 3 states, I lived in Kentucky twice, and have never seen this behavior from the police.
It happens everywhere I've lived over the past 10 years, which is VA, CO and NC. I've seen them in other States I travel through.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:50 PM
Banned

In Texas that is Illegal to have a "checkpoint" as far as i know....the ones i hate are the Border Patrol checks, not like they do anything...but the lame questions they ask like "this your truck"? what are you haulin'? of course when the bed's empty ...i can see if the troopers are looking for a certain vehicle of high importance in that area, sure, a checkpoint is fine...but randomly no.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well anybody that moves to New York is not quite right anyways . I moved OUT a year ago, and my folks moved out three weeks ago!! The only people who will be left after a few more years is gonna be unemployed dead beats, lawyers, and people working for the Govt and doctors. NY-tax you to death and then ask for more!!

Trending Topics

Old 09-27-2004, 03:02 PM

well here's my reasoning - I have been brought up to believe that I live in a free country, and more and more I am finding out that that just isn't true, and it's getting worse not better b/c of the "well I'm in compliance with the law so what diff does it make to me" attitude displayed here (no offense - just making a point). What happened in our past that makes everyone so glad to have the government telling us what we can and can't do, who can and cant do something or where and when I can go where ever I please. Perhaps I need enlightening. I lived in Ohio as a kid and then moved to Texas after high school so maybe that's where I get my attitude regarding this but I can't stand it and neither should you. - And don't worry I'm legal in every aspect so it’s not like I'm mad b/c I might get caught doing something wrong. That I know of anyway, but who can tell.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:07 PM

mcmopar - I am in agreement with you but had no choice in the matter, at the time. nor did I know HOW BAD it is, I'm still kinda strapped I guess I could declare myself bankrupt and go an welfare, start kicking out kids, and live the "good life". -- there's a lot of that here in New York.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:12 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is a perfect reason to have check points.
http://www.kesq.com/Global/story.asp?s=2350365
Old 09-27-2004, 03:16 PM

i have lived her in the U.P. of michigan all my life and have never heard of or have seen anything like that...
Old 09-27-2004, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just so you can put this in proper perspective. I am 63 years old. When I was 17 I lived on Long Island and went to visit my Grandmother in Binghamton. My car was a real sharp '55 Ford convertable with the top down. No speeding or anything else, got stopped on route 6, the feeder for Rt17. The cop checked me out, had me empty my pockets, emptied the trunk out, emptied my suitcases out, took the back seat out. Finding nothing he said "have a good day" and left me on the side in the grass to put my car and belongings back together. Why do you think the New York State Troopers are so well loved?
Old 09-27-2004, 03:32 PM
DTR Founder

Originally posted by wood_n_soldier
[B]well here's my reasoning - I have been brought up to believe that I live in a free country, and more and more I am finding out that that just isn't true, and it's getting worse not better b/c of the "well I'm in compliance with the law so what diff does it make to me" attitude displayed here (no offense - just making a point).
I KNEW you were going to give this answer. Many people who complain about it give the same answer over and over again. What I want to know is why people think that this is a threat to your freedom? I really want to know what the underlying point is here. You're free to do whatever and go wherever you want within reason. You have to remember that it is considered a PRIVILEDGE to drive on every road in this country, not a right. Therefore you have to abide by the laws set in each state in order to use the highways. Why is it a threat to your freedom to make sure that you're abiding by these laws? The key word in my whole paragraph here is PRIVILEDGE.

What happened in our past that makes everyone so glad to have the government telling us what we can and can't do, who can and cant do something or where and when I can go where ever I please.
See my statement above. By your logic, then nobody should have a drivers license either. Oh, and by the way, lets go ahead and throw our traffic laws in the toilet as well. I for one would love 12 year olds driving CTD's all over the place, hauling 15-20 thousand pound trailers.

Perhaps I need enlightening. I lived in Ohio as a kid and then moved to Texas after high school so maybe that's where I get my attitude regarding this but I can't stand it and neither should you.
Why shouldn't I stand it? I stand it because it's part of life. Again, you have to remember that key word I typed near the top of this post. Now I would agree with you if someone was waiting at your driveway and would not let you in your house until you showed them your papers. This is different though. You've chosen to get a drivers license and abide by the laws set in your state for that PRIVILEDGE. As such, you agree to the terms and conditions of carrying such a license. How is this cause for worry about whether or not your freedoms are in danger? I'm GLAD they do these because as I stated earlier, I've seen the results in terms of pulling drunks, unlicensed drivers and other idiots off the streets.

- And don't worry I'm legal in every aspect so it’s not like I'm mad b/c I might get caught doing something wrong. That I know of anyway, but who can tell.
See above.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:35 PM

I think the point is that just because you are not breaking any laws makes it ok to be harressed. The last thing we need is more people willing to give up there freedoms in this country only for the sole purpose to make them feel "SAFE". Now I do agree that these check points would help to stop drunks and illegal aliens, but when is enough...ENOUGH!!
Old 09-27-2004, 03:37 PM
DTR Founder

Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Just so you can put this in proper perspective. I am 63 years old. When I was 17 I lived on Long Island and went to visit my Grandmother in Binghamton. My car was a real sharp '55 Ford convertable with the top down. No speeding or anything else, got stopped on route 6, the feeder for Rt17. The cop checked me out, had me empty my pockets, emptied the trunk out, emptied my suitcases out, took the back seat out. Finding nothing he said "have a good day" and left me on the side in the grass to put my car and belongings back together. Why do you think the New York State Troopers are so well loved?
Now THAT is something completely different than what I'm talking about, and THAT is illegal search and seizure. You could have had his butt for that, but given your age at the time, I could understand why you may not have done anything.

However, that is a completely seperate issue. In my mind it's not sole justification for getting rid of checkpoints, but it IS justification for taking their butts to the cleaners and making sure that they hire officers who follow proper procedure.

Quick Reply: Police "saftey checks" in new york