Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Polaris RZR "buggy"

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Polaris RZR "buggy"

http://www.atvconnection.com/

These are supposed to be out this year and I'm very interested because of the size. I know nothing about a Polaris since I'm a Honda man but since they don't offer what I want my choices are slim. I was sold on the Rhino, then the Kubota and now this. For what I want (trail riding and hunting in the woods) I think this would fit the bill perfect. Is the 800 a good engine? Any negatives...positives? According to the salesman, the price will be less than a Rhino.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im not a big fan of polaris! One of my buddies has one every time we go riding somthing breaks on it.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:47 PM

I have a couple buddies like that as well. I'm not saying they are bad, some people are just hard on their stuff.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:55 PM

We have a Rhino, a Polaris Ranger, A suzuki 500 4x4, 2 Polaris 500s and a Bombardier. Personally I dont like any of the Polaris'. Weve had nothing but problems with them. Each of the 500s have been in shop 2-3 times for electrical problems. When one thing quits everything does. On one, ignition switch went out and so did lights/gauges at same time. Other one had 4wd (which is actually a sorry allwheel drive system) and fan go out. The rhino is my favorite, but Yamaha service is bad. Suzuki has no problems.

This RZR looks pretty bad -a- though. MSRP is 10k according to your link. We gave 8500 or so for our rhino... just my .02 on the companies
Old 03-16-2007, 07:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hamilton71801
http://www.atvconnection.com/

These are supposed to be out this year and I'm very interested because of the size. I know nothing about a Polaris since I'm a Honda man but since they don't offer what I want my choices are slim. I was sold on the Rhino, then the Kubota and now this. For what I want (trail riding and hunting in the woods) I think this would fit the bill perfect. Is the 800 a good engine? Any negatives...positives? According to the salesman, the price will be less than a Rhino.
that would be the last thing I would get for hunting. Out of all the UTVs availabel this is the ONLY one not listed for AG. or hunting use. Why pick a performance minded UTV? not to mention Polaris means GUARENTEED in the shop two weeks out of the month
Old 03-16-2007, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by old 300
I have a couple buddies like that as well. I'm not saying they are bad, some people are just hard on their stuff.

O.K. If you won't say it I will, IN MY OPINION Polaris is total junk !! there, I fell better now.
I have a buddy that owns a Yamaha dealership and he used to work on Polaris all the time. it got to the point where all you seen in the back was Polaris !! He no longer works on them and he couldn't be happier about it.
I could give you a laundry list 3 pages long of the problems I have seen with Polaris. And I am talking about NEW ones !! I wouldn't bank on the price being cheaper than a rhino either. try this site www.utilityoffroad.com

I have a Rhino and it has been a very good machine. I also have a 1988 Honda fourtrax 4wd and i just changed the original spark plug last year !! it have never seen the inside of a garage ever and I bet it has atleast 20,000 miles on it. I use it every day on the farm.

Just ask yourself this question, where are all the old Polaris 4 wheelers at?? There aren't any. Only old Honda and yamahas...

BTW, can you tell I don't like them ??
Old 03-16-2007, 09:06 PM

I also dont understand how the polaris can weigh so much more than the japanese machines whn they're all plastic!, Skids, racks, all plastic. Weird huh?
Old 03-16-2007, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by kawiram
I also dont understand how the polaris can weigh so much more than the japanese machines whn they're all plastic!, Skids, racks, all plastic. Weird huh?
Look at the frame, suspension componets, etc. Compare Sportsman driveshafts, hubs, etc. to japanese utilities like the Kingquad, Grizzly, and Rincon. Big difference. Also what makes the RZR unique compared to the Ranger, Rhino, and Mule is the fact that it is only like 50 inches wide and can be ridden on alot of state maintained trails that have width restrictions.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:16 PM

I guess it would be fine for hunting rabbits or chukar but where are you gonna put a deere on that thing?
Old 03-16-2007, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by 06dually
Look at the frame, suspension componets, etc. Compare Sportsman driveshafts, hubs, etc. to japanese utilities like the Kingquad, Grizzly, and Rincon. Big difference. Also what makes the RZR unique compared to the Ranger, Rhino, and Mule is the fact that it is only like 50 inches wide and can be ridden on alot of state maintained trails that have width restrictions.
I likethe fact that they made a more compact and sporty UTV, and maybe their components are more heavy duty, but I think it's overkill. How often do you see any Japanese quads breaking these parts unless the rider is just being insane? I've never owned a Polaris, but I have a Kawaski Brute Force, my mom has the Grizzly 660, my dad the Grizzly 600, and my niece a lil Badger 80. I personally have rode the tar out of the fullsizes, like way more than I figured they'd handle, and never had a whimper out of em. I just think that if Polaris could get the weight down, they'd have a much more nimble, and user friendly machine. Even with our quads it takes my dad and me to turn eem sideways on the trailer. Adding 100-200 or so lbs. is not good. Just my opinion.

Last edited by kawiram; 03-16-2007 at 11:49 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 03-17-2007, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by 06dually
Also what makes the RZR unique compared to the Ranger, Rhino, and Mule is the fact that it is only like 50 inches wide and can be ridden on alot of state maintained trails that have width restrictions.
True, but that comes at a price. I am not a huge guy 5'-11" 215lbs. and my hunting buddy is 6-1 at about 220 and we are shoulder to shoulder in my rhino already. If you put us in a RZR I think we would be hanging out the side.
I have not found and problems with the rhino being too wide to get through the thight wooded quad trails. I wouldn't want it any wider though. I found a bigger issue is the low hanging branches hitting the ROPS and if they are big enough you can't make it through.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Banned

Only problem we've had out of our sportsman is mom blew the tranny belt on it towing to much in high gear and the shifter handle got stuck and mom kicked it and broke it (mom doesn't believe in general maintenance). This thing is tough and has even been through a pipe fence. Our old polaris xpress was just as tough. They've both seen 4' deep mud and all you had to do was drain em and fill em back up and keep on going.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:12 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am with Tyler Polaris are tuff I have three I have a 85 trail boss 2 stroke that has a whole in the transmission and you can fill it up with tranny fluid and off you go all day long. My ATP Polaris is a iron horse too runs good and strong and have never had no problems with it. Its my pack mule and I also have another polaris trail boss thats a 350 and the older one is a 250.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:23 AM

I also dont like Polaris stuff. My cousin just bought a Sportsman 500 H.O. I rode it. Its ok. It is fairly quick to be as heavy as it is, but I like my honda better. I have a 2000 model honda foreman 400 4x4. It shows over 7k miles on the speedometer, and I have rode it hard. I tore the axle out of it which was about $100 and 2 hrs of work. A really easy fix, and all is well again. its been a heck of a good fourwheeler. I have pulled wagon loads of hay with it many times without a whimper. Just a tough machine. I run it hard from the minute I get on till the minute I get off every time, and it still doesent EVER blue smoke any. Heck of a tough motor. I just dont like polaris stuff.

Eric
Old 03-18-2007, 05:58 AM

I'll be the odd man out , I have had or currently have two Polaris 325's, Ranger, 90cc, and their Genesis jet ski. I haven't had ANY problems with any of them except the 90cc two cycle. That is because my son is 8 and he doesn't ride it very hard and the oil builds up on the plug. Maybe I'm the lucky one, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy Polaris again if the product was want I wanted.

Quick Reply: Polaris RZR "buggy"